Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

Hello all. Just as I was about to post my beautiful finished build I ran into some issues with my current board (Gigabyte Z97-UD5H rev 1.1) and without going into too many details about that i've decided to try an Asus board, namely the Z97-WS.

The reason for starting this thread was because I can't find much info at all from people who have built with this successfully. And while it should be straightforward and similar to other asus boards I'm a stickler for details and doing things right the first time. Hopefully there are a few lurkers who have had success and could share some info.

I will be disabling onboard audio in bios as I have a high end sound card, IGFX will also be disabled as I have a GTX 970. Which leaves only the e1000E for the dual intel ethernet and FakeSMC kext wise.

Clover config wise i like to keep things minimal and simple as possible. Here is what I was thinking for the config:

Boot:
nvda_drv=1 for my GTX970 + nvidia web drivers.
XMP enabled

Graphics:
Patch VBios

Kernel and Kext Patches:
Apple RTC - checked
KernelPm - checked
KextsToPatch - External Icon patch

SMBIOS:
I can play with this but planning to use iMac 15,1 with this fix: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...-after-nvidia-346-01-02f01-2.html#post1018420

For the clover install:

Drivers64UEFI:
OsxAptioFix2Drv-64
EmuVariable64

Questions:
Do I need an SSDT?
Do I need to remove Vbox-HFS64.efi and replace with HFSPlus.efi

Any info would be hugely appreciated, thank you!

Sorry this should probably be in Buying Advice :crazy:

Finally had time to install the WS and everything has gone very smooth. So far no new issues and all of the previous issues i had with the UD5H have gone!

Thunderbolt EX2 DUAL is working, Asus dual USB 3.1 Type-A PCIE works, dual ethernet is working with e1000E kext and I can use all 4 sticks of RAM at 2400mhz.

I’ll keep testing BIOS and config settings then post everything up here when i have something good. Currently using near-identical setup to my old Z97 UD5H

Aaaaaand it's gone :lol:

Decided to do another fresh install and mid installation the machine powered down. now the motherboard is not receiving power from any of my 3 other working PSU's. RMA'ing now so I'll pick this project up when i get the new unit.

System still works on the UD5H so at least i have a working machine.

Aaaaaand it's gone :lol:

Decided to do another fresh install and mid installation the machine powered down. now the motherboard is not receiving power from any of my 3 other working PSU's. RMA'ing now so I'll pick this project up when i get the new unit.

System still works on the UD5H so at least i have a working machine.
Did sleep/wake work when you had it?

Yeah, since posting this I got a replacement and it served me well for 5 years. I had no sleep problems and only issue I had was having to emulate NVRAM and the general headache of USB port mapping . If there is anything I can help with, ask away.

Yeah, since posting this I got a replacement and it served me well for 5 years. I had no sleep problems and only issue I had was having to emulate NVRAM and the general headache of USB port mapping . If there is anything I can help with, ask away.
What is USB port mapping?

Would sleep still work if you did not have the USB ports mapped?

Did you ever test legacy booting?

It would help if you could share your specs and if you’re using clover or opencore. I switched to opencore for the z97 ws a while ago and would highly recommend going down that path, improved functionality across the board.

I have never used legacy booting on it since UEFI booting works perfectly even with multiple OS’s via opencore boot loader and it is much preferred.

I mentioned USB port mapping in reference to the fact macs can only have 15 USB ports per controller. Since this board registers more than 15 USB ports you will need to either use a temporary port limit override or setup a proper usb map where you’ll effectively disable a few ports (mostly unusused internal ports) and create a usbmap.kext to use instead of usbinjectall. Read the opencore guide for more info.

let me know more about your setup and I might be able to help more. Also let me know which bios version you’re using

In essence I recommend following the opencore guide for Haswell with the exception that you will need to follow the “emulate vram” guide also

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back