gigabyte gtx 670
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello

as the title suggests I have an i7 on my ML hack running on a z77x-ud5h gtx 670, i have noticed that when using applications and looking at activity monitor its only using 4 of the cpu graphs, is there a setting in the bios that i need to change or is this normal behaviour and it will only use all 8 when i have loads of apps running?

a side note is that when i set this machine up It installed out of the box and the only thing i had to install by hand was the audio. could this be the problem, i have also posted on here that i am having problems with the FakeSMC plugins to show any information http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/87613-ga-z77x-ud5h-not-showing-system-temps-fan-speeds-etc.html#post545726 again could this be due to me not installing anything.

really hope you can help as this machine was not cheap and i would like peace of mind knowing that its all running as it should.

thanks in advanced guys, keeping my fingers crossed that this is all normal :)

That processor only has 4 cores. It does have multi-threading capabilities which will make it pretend to have 8 cores but it really is only 4. Unless the software you are running can take advantage of the multi-threading it will not show up as "in-use." My threads are almost always at 0% usage.

Also, the FakeSMC plug-ins from the current MB are not working for me (straight out failure to boot) so I am waiting for the next version before I try again.

That processor only has 4 cores. It does have multi-threading capabilities which will make it pretend to have 8 cores but it really is only 4. Unless the software you are running can take advantage of the multi-threading it will not show up as "in-use." My threads are almost always at 0% usage.

Also, the FakeSMC plug-ins from the current MB are not working for me (straight out failure to boot) so I am waiting for the next version before I try again.

Thank loads for replying, so the cpu is set up fine then, thats good to no, regards to the fakesmc plug in i guess its not just me then and i will have to wait like your selfs for a version that will work, i do find it hard not knowing the temps etc, i hope this will be available soon, when you say failure to boot, did you install not just the plugin? sorry if this is a stupid question i am very new to this hackintosh life :)

i have to say tho, this has saved me loads of money as i am now able to use logic and my production daw, :)

I think there's a problem with the GPUSensors.kext (one of the FakeSMC plugins) and the GTX670. A few people have noted that after installing the FakeSMC plugins they need to remove /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext/Contents/Plugins/GPUSensors.kext so that when they reboot the system doesn't crash. That way you at least get your CPU and motherboard sensor monitoring.
The problem with GPUSensors doesn't affect all cards, but definitely I think people have been reporting this with the 670.

The CPU has 4 cores, plus HT (hyper threading). Each of the cores can pretend to be an extra core (it has a second set of registers/etc) but in fact at the very fine level only 4 things can happen at once. These virtual cores can be useful for multi-threaded programs, but for many workloads it's actually more efficient to have 4 active threads rather than 8. Sensible programs know this and don't try to spawn 8 active threads (if you look in Activity Monitor at the threads for a process you'll see many but that's not the same thing: e.g. Skype currently has ~42 on my machine, but many of these are to simplify the programming model rather than to actively do 42 things at the same instant).

Seeing 4 cores pegged at 100% does in fact mean your machine is probably working as hard as it can (but there are many factors at play, so it's never quite that simple). If you had an 8-core CPU without hyperthreading the situation would be different.

I think there's a problem with the GPUSensors.kext (one of the FakeSMC plugins) and the GTX670. A few people have noted that after installing the FakeSMC plugins they need to remove /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext/Contents/Plugins/GPUSensors.kext so that when they reboot the system doesn't crash. That way you at least get your CPU and motherboard sensor monitoring.
The problem with GPUSensors doesn't affect all cards, but definitely I think people have been reporting this with the 670.

The CPU has 4 cores, plus HT (hyper threading). Each of the cores can pretend to be an extra core (it has a second set of registers/etc) but in fact at the very fine level only 4 things can happen at once. These virtual cores can be useful for multi-threaded programs, but for many workloads it's actually more efficient to have 4 active threads rather than 8. Sensible programs know this and don't try to spawn 8 active threads (if you look in Activity Monitor at the threads for a process you'll see many but that's not the same thing: e.g. Skype currently has ~42 on my machine, but many of these are to simplify the programming model rather than to actively do 42 things at the same instant).

Seeing 4 cores pegged at 100% does in fact mean your machine is probably working as hard as it can (but there are many factors at play, so it's never quite that simple). If you had an 8-core CPU without hyperthreading the situation would be different.

Right I now understand about the 4 cores etc so thank you for explaining that to me :) regarding the FakeSMC plugins I only installed the plugin so should i have installed something else to get the CPU and motherboard sensor working, After in installed the plugin my machine had no problem booting up, again i am sorry if this is all stupid questions, and I really do appreciate you help with this

MultiBeast installs the FakeSMC.kext automatically, you then have to choose to add the FakeSMC Plugins as a separate check box. They are two different items. I hope this clears up any confusion.:thumbup:

Thanks for your reply, ok then i think i no what i have or indeed not done right. The only think i have installed with mulitbeast Is the audio drivers, and then just the FakeSMC plugin not the fakeSMC.Kext.

so am i right in thinking that if i was to go back and install the fakesmc.kext then when i run the plugin i should then be able to see the cpu etc. If i do this is there a risk of messing up the machine, boot etc?

thanks again.

If you don't have FakeSMC your machine won't run. It's the plugins inside FakeSMC that give you the monitoring.

If you configured the DSDT-free/etc option in MultiBeast it will have installed FakeSMC even if you didn't tick that box.

If you don't have FakeSMC your machine won't run. It's the plugins inside FakeSMC that give you the monitoring.

If you configured the DSDT-free/etc option in MultiBeast it will have installed FakeSMC even if you didn't tick that box.

Good morning :)

I have just had a look and yer you guys are right as i do have the FakeSMc.kext installed. So why is the plugin not woking as it should, the motherboard should work ok with this? and i right in thinking that? this is driving me crazy LOL

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back