Contribute
Register

HELP - upgrading SNOW LEOPARD to MOUNTAIN LION!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Intel DX58SO
CPU
I7 - 950
Graphics
GeForce GT 240
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello everyone, this is my first post here - hope you guys can help me!

I have this fully-working system I've built from scratch. It works really fine, it never crashes, it's a really great system to work with music production. The thing is, I would like to upgrade my system from Snow Leopard (10.6.8) to Mountain Lion, to take a try to all those amazing functions I've seen around. I've purchased the version 10.8.5 from apple store, created the usb bootable drive (unibeast 2.1) and when I try to boot from the usb, nothing happens! I see something like a "flash" at the screen, and the system just restarts. My system still works fine, but there's no way I can boot from the thumb drive! Any advice?

Thanks!

Hello everyone, this is my first post here - hope you guys can help me!

I have this fully-working system I've built from scratch. It works really fine, it never crashes, it's a really great system to work with music production. The thing is, I would like to upgrade my system from Snow Leopard (10.6.8) to Mountain Lion, to take a try to all those amazing functions I've seen around. I've purchased the version 10.8.5 from apple store, created the usb bootable drive (unibeast 2.1) and when I try to boot from the usb, nothing happens! I see something like a "flash" at the screen, and the system just restarts. My system still works fine, but there's no way I can boot from the thumb drive! Any advice?

Thanks!

No way to tell without hardware info - If you want help, then please read and follow the rules:
[h=2]User Names, Profiles, Avatars and Signatures[/h]
  • Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Hey, I'm having the same issue with upgrading. I've got UniBeast on the thumb drive, I boot up and hit f12 into the BIOS and have tried both, "USB-HDD" and "USB-FDD" but my machine still boots through to the internal HD. I'm not sure if the thumb drive needs to be in a particular port (front vs. back, I've tried both) but can't imagine that's the issue.

Would love any help on getting this working. Thanks.
j

Hey, I'm having the same issue with upgrading. I've got UniBeast on the thumb drive, I boot up and hit f12 into the BIOS and have tried both, "USB-HDD" and "USB-FDD" but my machine still boots through to the internal HD. I'm not sure if the thumb drive needs to be in a particular port (front vs. back, I've tried both) but can't imagine that's the issue.

Would love any help on getting this working. Thanks.
j

Did you create the Unibeast USB with MBR partitioning? The default for Disk Utility is GPT so you must change it before partitioning the drive.

Hope now you guys can help me finding a solution!
I created the thumb drive with the MBR partitioning (2 of them, actually).

Hope now you guys can help me finding a solution!
I created the thumb drive with the MBR partitioning (2 of them, actually).

Are you sure your BIOS is configured to boot legacy?

Did you create the Unibeast USB with MBR partitioning? The default for Disk Utility is GPT so you must change it before partitioning the drive.

I did partition it as an MBR. I have a feeling it might be something in my BIOS, which I'm not that familiar with. Should I see it as an option in my boot priority list in the BIOS? I have a dual-boot setup and in the list I am seeing only the two internal HDs. I don't have an option for a third (the USB) to choose and boot directly.

I did partition it as an MBR. I have a feeling it might be something in my BIOS, which I'm not that familiar with. Should I see it as an option in my boot priority list in the BIOS? I have a dual-boot setup and in the list I am seeing only the two internal HDs. I don't have an option for a third (the USB) to choose and boot directly.

Boot priority shouldn't matter for booting the USB. You should be using your BIOS hotkey to select the boot device at BIOS POST. There is often options of for enable/disable of USB boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back