Contribute
Register

Help upgrading from GTX560 to GTX960 on 10.10.2 or 10.10.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I can't boot normally after I try this, is some boot flags I can use to at least get me to the desktop so I can try to make other changes without having to reclone drive over and over?

Yes, but you can cross that bridge when you come to it.

Without seeing the problem it's hard to offer a solution.

BOOM! It looks like the combination of IGPEnabler=No and nvda_drv=1 has done it. I first booted with the GTX560, now I removed that card and installed the GTX960 and it booted too!

Thank you everyone, especially Pilgrim and Jithin for your help.

But I don't think I am fully there yet, perhaps I could bother you for some more help.

First off, in 'About this Mac', the Graphics is 'Unknown 2989MB'.

Secondly, the machine did not seem to power down gracefully. text seem to come up on the screen, but it did eventually shut down.

Could you point me in the right direction for either of those? Could it be the MacPro3,1 system definition?

Thanks again guys.

BOOM! It looks like the combination of IGPEnabler=No and nvda_drv=1 has done it. I first booted with the GTX560, now I removed that card and installed the GTX960 and it booted too!

Thank you everyone, especially Pilgrim and Jithin for your help.

But I don't think I am fully there yet, perhaps I could bother you for some more help.

First off, in 'About this Mac', the Graphics is 'Unknown 2989MB'.

Secondly, the machine did not seem to power down gracefully. text seem to come up on the screen, but it did eventually shut down.

Could you point me in the right direction for either of those? Could it be the MacPro3,1 system definition?

Thanks again guys.

On your org.chameleon.boot.plist,

Change
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

to
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>

Save the file and reboot OS X. Then check under About This MAC.

Regarding system definision, as per your MultiBeast screen shot (attached on post#14) it is 14,2 not MacPro3,1

You can choose the right system definision from here : http://www.everymac.com/ (As you have web driver installed, please keep a working bootable USB on hand. Because system definition change may cause booting issues.)

So it looks like I got a little too excited too fast. I can no longer boot and I have no idea why.

Before I started playing around with changing the system definitions, or anything else for that matter, I wanted to clone the drive in the working state I had it in. So I ran Super Duper and cloned it to another drive. I started the process and as it was working I went away and played a game on my XBOX One for a little while. When I cam back the cloning was done.

I restarted to reboot into the cloned drive to make sure it was usable before I started playing around, but it would not boot. SO I tried to boot off the SSD (which was the working 10.10.4 with Nvidia Web Drivers and the GTX960) but it would not boot either.

I have attached a screenshot. Jithin, I will try to modify the org.chameleon.boot.plist as you recommended. But to do so I really need to boot into the desktop. It there a way via some boot flags that I can get there, even if it is in a limited compatibility mode or something?

As far as my system definition, that screen shot was from the working configuration I had before I started this upgrade. That was on 10.10.2 with the GTX560. I changed it to MacPro3,1 in order to install the Nvidia Web Drivers, and I haven't had the chance to change it to anything else yet.

So it looks like I got a little too excited too fast. I can no longer boot and I have no idea why.

Before I started playing around with changing the system definitions, or anything else for that matter, I wanted to clone the drive in the working state I had it in. So I ran Super Duper and cloned it to another drive. I started the process and as it was working I went away and played a game on my XBOX One for a little while. When I cam back the cloning was done.

I restarted to reboot into the cloned drive to make sure it was usable before I started playing around, but it would not boot.

Clone will not boot until you are installing bootloader on it.

You can boot into clone with your bootable USB. Once you reached the Desktop you just run MultiBeast with proper selections.

SO I tried to boot off the SSD (which was the working 10.10.4 with Nvidia Web Drivers and the GTX960) but it would not boot either.

What is the booting issue??

If it is not a rolling reboot, then include flags "dart=0 -f -v" and then check the booting. If the booting stuck with messages on screen then post a photo of the entire frozen screen here.

Clone will not boot until you are installing bootloader on it.

You can boot into clone with your bootable USB. Once you reached the Desktop you just run MultiBeast with proper selections.

What is the booting issue??

If it is not a rolling reboot, then include flags "dart=0 -f -v" and then check the booting. If the booting stuck with messages on screen then post a photo of the entire frozen screen here.

I forgot to attached the photo. Its attached now.

Attachments

• IMG_1542.JPG
    IMG_1542.JPG
    824.4 KB · Views: 59
I forgot to attached the photo. Its attached now.

P-State Stepper Error... Most probably because of MacPro3,1

After installation of web driver and before reboot you must have to change the system definition.

Now try booting after disabling EIST on BIOS.

P-State Stepper Error... Most probably because of MacPro3,1

After installation of web driver and before reboot you must have to change the system definition.

Now try booting after disabling EIST on BIOS.

Is EIST something to do with Error Stepping? I will try that when I get home from work.

As far as the system definition... I hear what you are saying, but at the same time, I was able to boot with that to install the Nvidia Web Drivers, and also after the web drivers where installed. Could it cause intermittent problems?

Is EIST something to do with Error Stepping? I will try that when I get home from work.

EIST means Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology.

You can read here more about SpeedStep technology : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedStep

As far as the system definition... I hear what you are saying, but at the same time, I was able to boot with that to install the Nvidia Web Drivers, and also after the web drivers where installed. Could it cause intermittent problems?

Even if you are not installing web drivers also it may make issues.
And i think why it is not happening while booting from USB is because the USB contains NullCPUPowerManagement.kext for blocking AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back