Contribute
Register

Help upgrading from GTX560 to GTX960 on 10.10.2 or 10.10.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just tried booting with these flags: -v -F GraphicsEnabler=No
It didnt work.

The video cared id the EVGA 04G-P4-3962-KR GeForce GTX 960 4GB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814487133)

Something I'd thought I'd note. In the attached screenshot, it say "P-State Stepper Error..." it hang there on every boot.

Tomorrow I'll try putting the GTX560 back in so I can boot my cloned drive, and restore the clone to the new drive. I was thinking of trying what I originally did, but this time after I install the Nvidia web drivers I'll change my system definition back to iMac 14,2 or something.

P-State Stepper error is because of the MacPro3,1 System Definition.

As i mentioned earlier, have you tried to boot with your UniBeast USB??

P-State Stepper error is because of the MacPro3,1 System Definition.

As i mentioned earlier, have you tried to boot with your UniBeast USB??

Yes, I tried and I was not able to boot into the drive I needed to in order to make changes or rerun Multibeast.

I tried again basically from the beginning by doing the following:

1: I removed the GTX960 and reinstalled the GTX560 so I could boot off of the safe backup clone drive I have of 10.10.2 which worked fine.

2: I cloned that onto a separate drive, updated it to 10.10.4. (leaving my backup untouched as a point to keep retrying from)

3: I reran Multibeast to restore audio and the boot loader.

4: I then cloned that to a SSD. This is the drive I want to end up running the hackinstosh on anyway, it just became available to me because I purchased a new one for my Windows installation. So I had 2 working drives with 10.10.4 on them.

5: I ran Mutlibeast again to change the system definition to MacPro3,1. I had to do this to install the Nvidia Web Drivers. I was able to boot fine with that system definition before I installed the Nvidia Web Drivers.

6: Those drivers wanted to reboot after the install but I did not do that. First I ran Multibeast again, changing the system definitions back to iMac 14,2, and unchecking several graphics configurations, GraphicsEnabler, PCIRootUID. I did check 1080p boot.

7: Upon my first reboot with the Nvidia Web Drivers install is where it fails.

So, I don't think is the MacPro3,1 system definition. It booted fine when I first switched to that, but twice now the failure occurs after rebooting after the Nvidia Web Drivers have been installed. Am I doing something wrong with the installation of those drivers?

This time the behavior was slightly different. Whether I let it boot normally, or enter the -v boot flag, it will get to a point where the video output cuts out completely. What I mean by that is my monitor screen goes completely black, to the point where my monitor's on screen menu/notification says "no signal". Its like as if the monitor cable is unplugged. But, it also looks like the computer is still running, I can see some activity on my HDD light on my case. Its strange.

I am hoping this information gives someone another idea for me to try. Thanks guys.

Yes, I tried and I was not able to boot into the drive I needed to in order to make changes or rerun Multibeast.

I tried again basically from the beginning by doing the following:

1: I removed the GTX960 and reinstalled the GTX560 so I could boot off of the safe backup clone drive I have of 10.10.2 which worked fine.

2: I cloned that onto a separate drive, updated it to 10.10.4. (leaving my backup untouched as a point to keep retrying from)

3: I reran Multibeast to restore audio and the boot loader.

4: I then cloned that to a SSD. This is the drive I want to end up running the hackinstosh on anyway, it just became available to me because I purchased a new one for my Windows installation. So I had 2 working drives with 10.10.4 on them.

5: I ran Mutlibeast again to change the system definition to MacPro3,1. I had to do this to install the Nvidia Web Drivers. I was able to boot fine with that system definition before I installed the Nvidia Web Drivers.

6: Those drivers wanted to reboot after the install but I did not do that. First I ran Multibeast again, changing the system definitions back to iMac 14,2, and unchecking several graphics configurations, GraphicsEnabler, PCIRootUID. I did check 1080p boot.

7: Upon my first reboot with the Nvidia Web Drivers install is where it fails.

So, I don't think is the MacPro3,1 system definition. It booted fine when I first switched to that, but twice now the failure occurs after rebooting after the Nvidia Web Drivers have been installed. Am I doing something wrong with the installation of those drivers?

This time the behavior was slightly different. Whether I let it boot normally, or enter the -v boot flag, it will get to a point where the video output cuts out completely. What I mean by that is my monitor screen goes completely black, to the point where my monitor's on screen menu/notification says "no signal". Its like as if the monitor cable is unplugged. But, it also looks like the computer is still running, I can see some activity on my HDD light on my case. Its strange.

I am hoping this information gives someone another idea for me to try. Thanks guys.

What are the exact options you are choosing MultiBeast??

After installation of web driver, make sure that the nvda_drv=1 flag is present on your org.chameleon.boot.plist file under Kernel Flags section.

If you are not using the Processor Graphics/integrated graphics disable it on BIOS.

Set the PCIe/graphics card as your initial display port/primary video adapter on BIOS.

Then boot without caches (-f) and check the booting.

Note:- VGA not supported on Yosemite, please use DVI-DVI or HDMI-HDMI cable. Avoid converters too.

I just restored my SSD with the good working version of 10.10.4 with the GTX560 in the computer. I am going to try this again. Attached is a screenshot of my Multibeast settings. What settings would you recommend after I installed the Nvidia Web Drivers?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-20 at 6.01.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-20 at 6.01.22 PM.png
    142.6 KB · Views: 113
I just restored my SSD with the good working version of 10.10.4 with the GTX560 in the computer. I am going to try this again. Attached is a screenshot of my Multibeast settings. What settings would you recommend after I installed the Nvidia Web Drivers?

If you're going to use that DSDT then you need to rename it to DSDT.aml.

If you're going to use a DSDT then you need to rename it to DSDT.aml.

This is the same DSDT file I used to get the Yosemite installed and working in the first place, and it's always been name DSDT-GA-Z68A-D3H-B3-F13.aml. As a matter of fact I just used it to restore the boot loader after I recloned the drive. My problem comes up after I install the Nvidia Web Drivers.

This is the same DSDT file I used to get the Yosemite installed and working in the first place, and it's always been name DSDT-GA-Z68A-D3H-B3-F13.aml. As a matter of fact I just used it to restore the boot loader after I recloned the drive. My problem comes up after I install the Nvidia Web Drivers.

Just did some research in old threads and it used to be compulsory for the file to be named DSDT.aml but that requirement no longer exists.

Last edited:
Just did some research in old threads and it used to be compulsory for the file to be named DSDT.aml but that requirement no longer exists.

I renamed it and reran Multibeast just in case, but it seem to have the same behavior. Like you said, I think it has been working all along.

SO I am ready to try to install the Nvidia Web Drivers again. Based on the settings in my previous Multibeast screenshot, is there anything I should change or remove or include?

Also here is my /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist file:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
	<key>IGPEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
        <string>kext-dev-mode=1 PCIRootUID=1</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>2</string>
        <key>HDEFLayoutID</key>
        <string>01000000</string>
        <key>GenerateCStates</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>GeneratePStates</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>UseKernelCache</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
	<key>HDAEnabler</key>
	<string>No</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Is there anything I should change in here? As Jithin recommend, I will make sure nvda_drv=1 is present. But other than that are there other changes I should make?

Thanks

I renamed it and reran Multibeast just in case, but it seem to have the same behavior. Like you said, I think it has been working all along.

SO I am ready to try to install the Nvidia Web Drivers again. Based on the settings in my previous Multibeast screenshot, is there anything I should change or remove or include?

Also here is my /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist file:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
	<key>IGPEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
        <string>kext-dev-mode=1 PCIRootUID=1</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>2</string>
        <key>HDEFLayoutID</key>
        <string>01000000</string>
        <key>GenerateCStates</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>GeneratePStates</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>UseKernelCache</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
	<key>HDAEnabler</key>
	<string>No</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Is there anything I should change in here? As Jithin recommend, I will make sure nvda_drv=1 is present. But other than that are there other changes I should make?

Thanks

If you're not using integrated graphics then change :
Code:
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

to

Code:
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>

If you're not using integrated graphics then change :
Code:
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

to

Code:
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>

Ok, thank you. I will try that.

One more question, for now at least: If I can't boot normally after I try this, is some boot flags I can use to at least get me to the desktop so I can try to make other changes without having to reclone drive over and over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back