Contribute
Register

Help PLEASE! New 4530s with Bios F23, Mountain Lion 10.8.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also - showing power connected even when on batter power..

Thanks for all your help!

Wifi chip - it's a standard ProBook 4530s. I haven't added anything.

I looked in about my mac - and couldn't find a listing of what wifi chip.

Wifi chip - it's a standard ProBook 4530s. I haven't added anything.

I looked in about my mac - and couldn't find a listing of what wifi chip.

The 4530s can come with three different WiFi cards. Ralink, Realtek, and the only one that OS X supports... Atheros. You need Atheros or you need to replace it with one to have internal WiFi working. You should verify in Windows or by physical examination. There is probably a way to verify what hardware you have in Linux as well. The other alternative is to purchase a USB WiFi that has supported drivers for OS X.

IN the hp screen - before startup the only mention of Wifi is:

WLAN FCC ID - TX2-RTL8-188CE

The things I didn't know! Amazon didn't list options - I guess I should have done more due diligence...

I deleted the whole drive when I installed ML --- should have probably left windows 7 on as well -- but didn't think. I don't have a system restore DVD... And I don't have LINUX either. How do I do a visual inspection?

Also - Fix for Power/Battery??

The things I didn't know! Amazon didn't list options - I guess I should have done more due diligence...

I deleted the whole drive when I installed ML --- should have probably left windows 7 on as well -- but didn't think. I don't have a system restore DVD... And I don't have LINUX either. How do I do a visual inspection?

Also - Fix for Power/Battery??

RTL8188CE - not supported.

Not to worry. Atheros WiFi card is $10-$13, just search "4530s card" on ebay.
Several people called HP and got Windows7 backup discs.

What do you mean by Power/Battery fix?

@ Big Donkey - I mean, when I pull out the power cord - the computer still says that the power cord is attached, instead of indicating that the computer is running on battery power --- not a huge deal - but would love the computer to be running as "perfectly" as possible...

Is the:
[h=1]HP Atheros AR5B195 Probook 4530s Wireless Wifi N BT bluetooth Card 592775-001[/h]the correct one to purchase?? Is it relatively easy for a non tech person to install?

Best,
Rob

the

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back