Contribute
Register

HELP!!! Kernel Panic after installing macOS Catalina (Mojave Backup boots normally)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys, I have an update. Since I've had a working backup of Mojave on my internal HDD, I finally caved and did the following:

1. Booted the backup Mojave HDD (created by Carbon Copy Cloner)
2. Wiped clean the NVME drive with the failed Catalina update
3. Created a Catalina Install USB drive
4. Installed a clean Catalina on the NVME main drive
5. Migrated the settings and home folder from my backed-up Mojave HDD to the newly installed Catalina drive

Voila, it worked. I have a working Catalina macOS main drive with working sound, USB, ethernet etc.

Only thing not working is Sidecar
(dont know why), but I can live with that.

What went wrong the first time? Don't know, but I suspect, that it must have been something with the system files / permissions etc., therefore a "migration" was not going to work. Anyway, I'm happy it's okay now and I encourage all of you to update this way. Make a clean Catalina drive and then migrate your old Mojave home folders etc.

I updated WhateverGreen, AppleALC and VirtualSMC, then I did a clean installation and it loads without problems. Then I transferred the data from Mojave disk and again there problems with the launch.
I decided to manually install programs on a clean system, this should take less time than further transfer experiments :)

Last edited:
It seems that the Panic is caused by clover config. I have used unibeast to create a bootable usb disk, and use it can boot up 10.15.
I copied the config.plist from EFI of the usb disk to overwrite the one in EFI of the hard disk, apply the needed changes, then reboot to solve the problem.
I have doubled checked to find out that the panic is caused by Intel Graphics Driver:
<key>Graphics</key>
<dict>
<key>Inject</key>
<dict>
<key>ATI</key>
<false/>
<key>Intel</key>
<true/>

<key>NVidia</key>
<false/>
</dict>
</dict>
Then it can boot normally.

Last edited:
i got it figured out, i updated clover at same time and had to tweak the kexts as it removed a line from the old clover. I am running Catalina now. Did it from the update option in Mojave.

Hm, I am back at the same problem.

Kernel Extensions in backtrace:
com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIFamily(290.0.1)[B72476C4-E56D-3C82-A25D-9CE8C9B96FB8]@0xffffff7f94343000->0xffffff7f9435dfff
com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort(999.50.2)[312FA732-CA91-3180-8373-5BE2E893339F]@0xffffff7f95008000->0xffffff7f95023fff
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIFamily(290.0.1)[B72476C4-E56D-3C82-A25D-9CE8C9B96FB8]@0xffffff7f94343000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.9)[E6E855AD-A5B2-3518-A997-1384B4360708]@0xffffff7f936f3000

This problem occurred when I was tinkering with ACPI/patched files. I added one file from another setup there (some .aml file) just to Try thing. Did not work, I was missing external USB drives. So I removed the file and copied back the files I had there before. Then this thing started happening again. Ufortunately, I don’t have my Mojave backup anymore, I replaced it with Catalina and now, I cannot boot even this backup. The only thing I can do is to boot Recovery or from my installation USB.

Please advise guys. What is happening?

@P1LGRIM sir, do you have an idea what might be happening to me? Right now I’m restoring from time machine, but since this happened twice to me already with the same KP, I think this might be a serious issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back