Graphics
2x RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Color Classic
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Long story short! A friends iMac died and we need a new hack.
Would greatly appreciate some buying advise

Do we
1 - get a 170 series with the 6700k
2 - get a 270 series with the 6700k. (GA-Z270X-HD3P)
2 - get a 270 series with the 7700k

I was initially thinking the new motherboard with the 6700k as network and sound issues could be overcome later.
However the (GA-Z270X-HD3P) has the 887 audio chip and the Intel i219-v network, so we should be good to go?

PS our local gigabyte distributor has already stopped selling the 170 series. hence the dilemma

Last edited:
The Buyers guide still recommends the 170 series as there are additional workarounds for the 270 series at this point. As you have stated 170 boards are becoming increasingly difficult to source leading to a bit of a dilemma for many builders. My advice would be to go with a matching 270 series board and the newer 7700K processor and install Sierra.
270 series support is going to improve over the next few months with Apple introducing new hardware on this platform:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...cpus-200-series-motherboards-in-macos.211743/

If your friend requires some older applications to run on this build then be aware that it is possible that if the iMac was not running Sierra then you may need to consider older hardware or update the older apps.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...versions-of-os-x-using-older-chipsets.141225/

All latest software,
I was just thinking the 6th gen 6700k might be an easier starting point, or is the cpu not really the main challenge atm?

It is simpler and better to keep the board and processor within the same generation. Using different generations is possible but can add to the complexity of a build using macOS.

OK so we will try the
GA-Z270X-HD3P with the 7700k

And here is the emotionally fragile, and slightly weepy "friend".

Thank you brother Adrian B for the reassurances, and thanks to the whole forum for being there.

See you all in Hackland!

Good luck with your build. If you want to add good audio support while folk work behind the scenes making things work better then pretty much any USB audio adaptor works well. The accessories section of the buyers guide has a Sabrent USB audio solution that works very well in any working USB port. :thumbup:

If you already own the i7-6700K processor then it is worth considering using that instead of purchasing the i7-7700K, there will be good assistance on the 200 series testing thread if you require further help during the installation and post installation process.

Good luck with your build. If you want to add good audio support while folk work behind the scenes making things work better then pretty much any USB audio adaptor works well. The accessories section of the buyers guide has a Sabrent USB audio solution that works very well in any working USB port. :thumbup:
Fortunately, I already have a Lexicon Lambda, and an Apogee One - so the news just gets better! :)

If you already own the i7-6700K processor then it is worth considering using that instead of purchasing the i7-7700K, there will be good assistance on the 200 series testing thread if you require further help during the installation and post installation process.
Thanks again... I will! And I will let you know how it goes.
Love and Peace.
Pete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back