Contribute
Register

[HELP] G5 front panel - USB flaky - .kext issue???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Vision D
CPU
i9 10850K
Graphics
Nvidia GT 710
All,
ISSUE: USB on front panel is flaky when using USB drive in both front G5 panel and rear mobo panel.
using a USB drive.....USB on front panel will operate fine as long as there is no USB drive connected to the rear I/O panel of the mobo. ie: if I plug in a usb drive into the rear mobo and then a USB drive into the G5 front panel ...the one in the G5 panel never shows............if I plug in a USB drive to the G5 front panel (it shows on the desktop and can browse and copy to and from) and then one in the rear mobo - the USB drive in the G5 front panel ejects and I get the notice that it was ejected improperly etc..... or sometimes the rear mobo usb will not even show on the desktop until I unplug the one in the front panel.

I built the break out cable for the front header of the G5 (doing 2 at same time) (did this a year ago for my first G5 customac - works perfect) and have checked with a voltmeter correct pinouts of the DIY cable - even replaced all wires and pins for the USB (in the DIY cable) -still same issue
Tested with 2 different G5 front panels
Swapped the cables into my older G5 customac - they worked fine (mobo - GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3)
connected USB header cable from old case to mobo - worked fine

mobo in this build is: G41MT-S2PT

please help - this has brought my 2 customacs for my boys to a stand still
thanks

The front panel is really weird... I think out dated. I don't get much out of the front panel USB. I only get basic keyboard and mouse functions out of it. My USB drives and Bluetooth don't show up on osx. Basically anything that uses a lot of data dose not work. I have a sabertooth z77

rickyreall84 - thanks for the reply
yeah I have only used the front usb here and there on my custo mac - wasnt sure if this could be a ground issue or a software - but again thanks for replying - at least I know Im not alone and my cabling is ok

Did you use twisted pair for the data wires on your USB? I've heard of issues when using parallel wires.

thanks for the link - yeah I followed that guide when I built the first one last year - these 2 are for my kids - My Z68 board works perfectly fine with the USB but the G41 boards for theirs seem to be the issue
at this point I am going to say its a motherboard issue - best guess is due to old chipset - kinda bummed that something like this could be different from one board to another - hopefully only the older chipsets

You should try a PCI card with an internal header, or either attach a regular USB A male to the header or redo the front connector using an old USB cable and run it out of the case and plug it in the back.

I never installed UEFI, I just upgraded the bios to whatever version was out when I first built it. Once I find the desire and have some extra cash I'm going to get a second, bigger SSD, a new graphics card and a copy of windows which is when I might mess with overclocking for better gaming. Right now I only use this thing for internet, a little bit of photoshop and illustrator when I need to do something from home and traktor pro dj software, none of which need any real processing power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back