1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I had a rock solid build going:
  • GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK + RX 580
  • OpenCore / Catalina
  • Everything worked, boot from NVME, sleep, audio
  • I even had two 1440p 144hz screens running over Display Port!
And then I broke it.

A few months ago, I installed BigSur on a test partition, and it worked, but I continued to use Catalina as my daily driver, however, I also noticed something new. Whenever I would boot, I would get a flash on the screen of a couple errors before OpenCore would actually start.
  • OCS: No schema for ApECID at 2 index...
  • OCS: No schema for DmgLoading at 5 index...
  • OCS: No schema for SecureBootModel at 9 index...
  • OCS: No schema for AppleImg4Verification at 6 index...
  • OCS: No schema for AppleSecureBoot at 9 index...
However, the computer would boot, so I never worried about it.

However, I'm a developer, and Apple is forcing an Xcode update, so I set out to move to Monterey. I read a number of guides, prepared a new EFI folder on a flash drive, and ran the Monterey installer planning to install it to my test partition over BigSur.

The Monterey install failed claiming that it couldn't properly update the Firmware, so I booted back to Catalina planning to work on the EFI more.

As I read more, I saw that others had done some work describing their full setup, and I decided to start from ground zero and check my BIOS settings.

Here's where things get weird.

On reboot, I couldn't enter the Gigabyte BIOS!

I would spam the delete key, and the screen would eventually go black, and I would see the normal BIOS mouse cursor and the normal BIOS blinking cursor, but the actual BIOS screens would never load.

Nothing fixed it, changing monitors, changing graphics cards, trying the on board graphics. I even pulled everything out of the motherboard except for one stick of RAM, and I still couldn't enter the BIOS screens. I reset the CMOS, I took out the battery, I left it alone for a few hours.

Eventually, I stumbled across the right combination of power button juggling and CMOS jumper tapping to force the BIOS to load from the backup BIOS (F7), and I reconfigured all my settings by loading them up from a previously saved file, and then double-checking all of them.

From there, I attempted reboot after reboot with Monterey sticks and Big Sur Sticks and neither would successfully reach the installer, but I could boot back into my previous Catalina installation, so I decided to leave it all to another day.

HOWEVER, Now, when I boot into Catalina, only one monitor works! OpenCore is on both screens, but right before the login screen displays, I get a flicker and then one monitor goes black while the other looks great.

Clearly, I have messed up my original EFI somehow. Here it is, can anyone help me get both displays working again?

Then, eventually I'll need some help getting Big Sur or Monterey going.

Attachments

• EFI.20220502.zip
    20.8 MB · Views: 34
Have a look at my Haswell Monterey guide, it probably contains a lot of the information you are looking for while trying to install Monterey on your system.

I had a rock solid build going:
  • GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK + RX 580
  • OpenCore / Catalina
  • Everything worked, boot from NVME, sleep, audio
  • I even had two 1440p 144hz screens running over Display Port!
And then I broke it.

A few months ago, I installed BigSur on a test partition, and it worked, but I continued to use Catalina as my daily driver, however, I also noticed something new. Whenever I would boot, I would get a flash on the screen of a couple errors before OpenCore would actually start.
  • OCS: No schema for ApECID at 2 index...
  • OCS: No schema for DmgLoading at 5 index...
  • OCS: No schema for SecureBootModel at 9 index...
  • OCS: No schema for AppleImg4Verification at 6 index...
Your OC versions is so old that a lot of changes have been made over all the updated versions of OpenCore so I've moded my own EFI and included only the relevant files.
Not sure if you use a PS2 keyboard or PS2 mouse as you had some old drivers for them in your EFI so I replaced with updated kext for this, the VoodooPS2Controller.
Note that the SMBIOS is set as iMac17,1 so I have not included your USBPorts.kext as you would have to recreate a new map to work with this.
Also I have set the internal graphics to headless but if your CPU does not have internal graphics built in then you should remove the iGPU device properties altogether.
Give it a try.

Attachments

• Jeffmikels tries a Robbish GA-Z97 OC EFI v0.8.0.zip
    14.1 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Your OC versions is so old that a lot of changes have been made over all the updated versions of OpenCore so I've moded my own EFI and included only the relevant files.
Not sure if you use a PS2 keyboard or PS2 mouse as you had some old drivers for them in your EFI so I replaced with updated kext for this, the VoodooPS2Controller.
Note that the SMBIOS is set as iMac17,1 so I have not included your USBPorts.kext as you would have to recreate a new map to work with this.
Also I have set the internal graphics to headless but if your CPU does not have internal graphics built in then you should remove the iGPU device properties altogether.
Give it a try.
Thank you! I'll give it a try and let you know how it works!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back