Graphics
EVGA Geforce 1080ti
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there,

I've been trying to get a stable USB boot system up and running, to no avail. I'm close - but not quite there.

System is;
Asus X99 Pro / USB 3.1 (latest firmware)
Corsair H110i GT (Connected to USB)
32GB Ripjaws
MSI GTX 970
Samsung NVME m.2 (Has windows on it, don't need driver support)
Seagate SSD (Fresh drive, intended MacOs install location)

The only peripherals connected are the corsair water pump, my keyboard and a mouse.

BIOS is setup mostly as default, however I have a small overclock running and I've disabled the serial port.

I have the USB installer to the point where it sporadically boots into the MacOs installer. Enough that I even managed to get a fresh install onto the partition. However, it boots maybe once out of 30 tries.

Probably my issues is I have no idea what I'm doing :) Most of the configuration has come from me reading various posts about X99 installations - but I really need the eyes of someone who knows what it all means.

config.plist attached.

Drivers64EUFI has the following;
Code:
AppleImageCodec-64.efi
AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi
AppleUITheme-64.efi
DataHubDxe-64.efi
FirmwareVolume-64.efi
FSInject-64.efi
OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi
OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi
SMCHelper-64.efi
VBoxHfs-64.efi

kexts are;
Code:
ACPISensors.kext
CPUSensors.kext
FakeSMC.kext
GPUSensors.kext
IntelMausiEthernet.kext
LPCSensors.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
USBInjectAll.kext
XHCI-x99-injector.kext

Usually the boot hits this point then force reboots the system.

Attachments

• config1.plist
    5.5 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Bump. Any help would really be appreciated. I've tried various other configurations and simplifying as much as I can, but I keep getting hung up at the same point.

Bump. Any help would really be appreciated. I've tried various other configurations and simplifying as much as I can, but I keep getting hung up at the same point.

Hitting the same problem on Asus X99 and 5960X (with GTX 960). There's really nothing you can do. I gave up on X99 from ever working. Even if you somehow make it work for 10.12.4, 10.12.5 might totally break it, and 10.13 might be unusable for years. There's really no guarantee for anything.
The only really viable hackintosh is the one you build exactly as Mac is built, using available components which is Z170 chipset and SkyLake.

Thanks for the advice.

I got a working dual boot with windows running last night. It was mostly down to getting the correct combination of parameters in Clover - and getting an understanding of what some of the kexts do for me.

In any case - it's stable, and installed. Looks great on a 40" 4k display!

My next steps will be to attempt to get better CPU power management working, there seems to be some great guides surrounding that.

The guide that best worked for me was this one, just incase it helps anyone else;
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...skill-tridentz-aorus-gtx-1080-ti-xtrm.211621/

(Thanks @kgp)

@cadriel I'm also following his guide, but getting stuck while it should be really simple... do you have any suggestions about changes you did compared to his instructions for the boot-install usb?

I think that the settings you use are very specific to the motherboard you're using. In my case, I copied his guide to the letter - and also ensured I matched the BIOS settings as much as I could.

That got me to a stable boot - but it took me 2 days to get there. If I had followed the guide to the letter originally, I could have probably cut that down by half a day.

What motherboard do you have?

I think that the settings you use are very specific to the motherboard you're using. In my case, I copied his guide to the letter - and also ensured I matched the BIOS settings as much as I could.

That got me to a stable boot - but it took me 2 days to get there. If I had followed the guide to the letter originally, I could have probably cut that down by half a day.

What motherboard do you have?

Well, my profile says Rampage V Extreme with the 3504 BIOS. Very similar boards we have, shouldn't be much diff.

Rampage V Extreme, 5960X, SM 850 EVO 1TB, Broadcom WiFi/TB (same as his), G.Skill 128GB, I do have Asus Xonar inside, but it shouldn't matter; didn't I think (I did remove it once).

Well, I can give you my current config on the USB stick if you like, but its pretty much the same as in the guide you're using.

Otherwise, maybe check BIOS settings? That I think helped me a bunch.

Well, I can give you my current config on the USB stick if you like, but its pretty much the same as in the guide you're using.

Otherwise, maybe check BIOS settings? That I think helped me a bunch.

Removing Xonar helped this time. But now I'm stuck at the very end of installation with "The installer payload failed signature check.". :)

Not knowing too much about hackintosh's, but that error message sounds suspicious. As in, perhaps you have a corrupt installer?

Sounds to me like the installer files aren't passing a checksum of some sort. Maybe try making a clean installer (making sure to record your current setup somewhere) and try again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back