Contribute
Register

Help! Apple Loading screen with "no" symbol, and -v "Still waiting for root device"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus P8Z68-V Gen3
CPU
Core i5 2500K
Graphics
Un-configured HD3000 Graphics
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My setup:
Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3 motherboard
Intel Core i5 2500K with HD3000 Integrated Graphics
Petrol 128 GB SSD
and 2 x 2GB Crucial DDR3 1066 RAM

I feel as though I've exhausted everything searching for the solution to my problem, even typing -v, -x, -s, "PCIRootUID=0", "PCIRootUID=1", "GraphicsEnabler=No"... etc. I've also reformatted my 8GB Sandisk Cruzer about 8 times using tonymac's Unibeast installation methods for Lion. I used my macbook to format and install the Lion software to my thumb drive, so I do not have a current working Hackintosh.

I am also not plugged into any USB 3.0 ports, or SATA 6GB ports

I am also trying to use the integrated graphics from my i5, mostly because I don't need a nicer graphics setup for any of the things that I will be doing on my computer.

In the BIOS, I've also attempted to work through the settings a million times to try to find a solution.

Under advanced in SATA i also have the settings under AICH.

Something has got to be wrong, but I can't seem to find it, I suspect that it's something in the BIOS, but I have no idea.

So your problem is after installing, when you supposed to set up your new installation. The first boot of Lion, right? Your getting "Still waiting for root device"

There is so much on this problem. So what I got from it was that your Lion install is not finding your disk. Most people said set your drive to ACHI to fix this. I couldn't set it to ACHI because I don't have that option. I installed a different kext during installation to fix the problem. Have you tried removing all your other drives but the hard disk with the Lion install on it.

You have googled "still waiting for root device" and tried all those answers?

Try to google still waiting for root device and add some of your computer hardware, motherboard, to the search.

I'll bet what you need to do is add a kext to the installer (USB) stick with kext wizard before you install it, something that will make your disk reconized. For mine because I had IDE mode only for my hard drives I had to install the ioatafamily one to make it work.

Have you tried the rd=disk command yet as a boot flag?
To use this one, first you will have to boot to your lion install disk, go past language screen, then use disk utility. right click the partition with Lion installed on it, go to info. Find the disk label, probably disk0s1 or disk0s2 or whatever it is. Then restart, on the boot loader use the flag

rd=(yourdiskwithlioninstalled)

example

rd=disk0s2

The problem is Lion is not finding/reconizing your disk with lion installed.

Since you are trying to install using HD3000, try with boot flags:

-v npci=0x3000

I actually have not yet completed the installation, this is happening before I even get to the language selection and the initial installation procedure. I have googled a pretty good amount on the subject, I wanted to make sure that I did that before I posted on here and wasted anyone's time, but I'll continue searching.

Also the boot flag npci=0x3000 didn't work either, the "still waiting for root device" prompt still appeared after booting

"I installed the 3rdParty SATA to help identify the Mavell 88SE9172 chipset
I enabled TRIM support as my SSD drive supports it, you will need to check yours if its a different model and you won't need it if you only have an ATA drive
The Theme is personal preference and not required. Just makes it look pretty :O)

After installation is complete, reboot, at this point your machine should boot without the support of your lion usb key."

That is what he did.

Also look at his bios settings.

Your computer will work fine, you just need to follow his guide.

If you still cant figure it out we can get on irc and I'll help you where we can talk and work through things faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back