Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My two trusty benchmarks now suddenly refuse to leave the desktop/Run window, although I hear the correct audio, and my RX 580 fan spins up after Run is pressed. This first happened after I updated OpenCore 0.9.6 to 0.9.7, but switching back to 0.9.6 doesn't fix the problem. Other video games work fine, such as Myst III: Exile... no problem there. Pressing Run for either Heaven or Valley causes the Run button to go dim, and the app starts, and I hear the music, but no video. Also, in the Dock, there are two app icons showing as open, instead of just one.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
My two trusty benchmarks now suddenly refuse to leave the desktop/Run window, although I hear the correct audio, and my RX 580 fan spins up after Run is pressed. This first happened after I updated OpenCore 0.9.6 to 0.9.7, but switching back to 0.9.6 doesn't fix the problem. Other video games work fine, such as Most III: Exile... no problem there. Pressing Run for either Heaven or Valley causes the Run button to go dim, and the app starts, and I hear the music, but no video. Also, in the Dock, there are two app icons showing as open, instead of just one.

Any ideas?
Hold the command key and press tab, you might notice two Unigene windows are open, select the one that works.

Hold the command key and press tab, you might notice two Unigene windows are open, select the one that works.
That works, thanks! But what happened? From High Sierra through all other OS versions (including Sonoma initially) this never occurred. I have previously seen the two icons in the Dock, but never had to manually select the right one.

That works, thanks! But what happened? From High Sierra through all other OS versions (including Sonoma initially) this never occurred. I have previously seen the two icons in the Dock, but never had to manually select the right one.
I’ve only noticed it since Sonoma, before it would open in the same window. But since 14, it opens but it’s hidden and you have to select the other window. Glad you got it working though.

Thanks again, those graphics benchmarks are my connection to computer graphics performance and I would hate to lose them. I did notice that now the Heaven benchmark runs about 8 fps slower than in Ventura... but the Valley benchmark has held constant.

@wstrohm, @craighazan,

I also noticed this new behaviour (having to manually switch to the benchmark render window) a few weeks ago when running Haven or Vally on Sonoma.

Both these benchmarks are very old so probably don't conform to current MacOS app coding standards.

Cheers
Jay

Over a bit quickly, but I like that we can visually see the performance, instead of just getting a number like GB6 or CB.

Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 8.48.04 PM.png

Back