Graphics
Intel HD4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Is it possible to get HDMI audio working on a NVIDIA GT 640 (with Kepler architecture) and Mountain Lion without having a compatible on board audio chip? I have a Gigabyte GA-H77-D3H and therefore only VIA VT2021 audio. In the Lion HDMI audio guides it says that "Working on board audio required for 10.7 or HD3000".

I need to know if HDMI audio will work with such graphic card before buying one. I'm considering a ZT-60204-20L from ZOTAC (fanless GT 640).

Thanks in advance!

Is it possible to get HDMI audio working on a NVIDIA GT 640 (with Kepler architecture) and Mountain Lion without having a compatible on board audio chip? I have a Gigabyte GA-H77-D3H and therefore only VIA VT2021 audio. In the Lion HDMI audio guides it says that "Working on board audio required for 10.7 or HD3000".

I need to know if HDMI audio will work with such graphic card before buying one. I'm considering a ZT-60204-20L from ZOTAC (fanless GT 640).

Thanks in advance!
I don't have everything working in Mountain Lion to answer your question at this time. So far, HDMI audio shows up when onboard is working. Regarding the Zotac GT 640, I don't know. I once tried the Zotac GTS 450 and could not get HDMI audio to work. On the other hand, every EVGA card I've tried has provided HDMI audio. By the way, Nvidia HDMI audio is working in ML with the native AppleHDA.kext (no patching required).

I don't have everything working in Mountain Lion to answer your question at this time. So far, HDMI audio shows up when onboard is working. Regarding the Zotac GT 640, I don't know. I once tried the Zotac GTS 450 and could not get HDMI audio to work. On the other hand, every EVGA card I've tried has provided HDMI audio. By the way, Nvidia HDMI audio is working in ML with the native AppleHDA.kext (no patching required).

So if I understand everything correct the limitation is AppleHDA.kext, if no on board audio is found HDMI audio will not work either, even if it is technically possible and should be no problem at all?

But there is also a chance that this is not the case and that it could work with only HDMI audio? If so I will buy only the graphic card to begin with and if it doesn't work I will also buy a new motherboard with Realtek audio chipset.

When you couldn't get HMDI audio to work on the Zotac GTS 450 card, did you see HDMI audio in the audio device list (System Preferences/Sound/Output) but didn't get any sound or didn't it even show up in the list?

So if I understand everything correct the limitation is AppleHDA.kext, if no on board audio is found HDMI audio will not work either, even if it is technically possible and should be no problem at all?But there is also a chance that this is not the case and that it could work with only HDMI audio? If so I will buy only the graphic card to begin with and if it doesn't work I will also buy a new motherboard with Realtek audio chipset.When you couldn't get HMDI audio to work on the Zotac GTS 450 card, did you see HDMI audio in the audio device list (System Preferences/Sound/Output) but didn't get any sound or didn't it even show up in the list?
AppleHDA makes OS X audio. When it sees an unknown codec, important functionality fails to load. I haven't thought about it, however, there may be a way to get enough AppleHDA working for HDMI audio to work. No commitment. On the GTS 450, everything was working to the last step. At the last step, 1 channel of four (0-3) is selected for the HDMI audio. On that card, the channel number was 4 (not valid), therefore. no HDMI audio. There is not way to know this before installing the card.

Didn't work for me. I restored Lion's AppleHDA.kext to get working on-board and HDMI audio.
Your conclusion is expected; wait for the details. Reworded for clarity. The benefit is realized for those that have unsupported audio codecs. In that case, on board audio will not work, however, HDMI audio will work with the HDMI audio dsdt edits.

Your conclusion is expected; wait for the details. Reworded for clarity. The benefit is realized for those that have unsupported audio codecs. In that case, on board audio will not work, however, HDMI audio will work with the HDMI audio dsdt edits.

Hi toleda,

Any update on this? It would be great to not patch AppleHDA after every update if all you ever use is HDMI Audio.

Thanks.

Any update on this? It would be great to not patch AppleHDA after every update if all you ever use is HDMI Audio.
Yes, install the native ML_AppleHDA.kext_V2.3.0 and edit dsdt/HDEF/layout-id to 0x01,0x00,0x00, 0x00. Restart.

Yes, install the native ML_AppleHDA.kext_V2.3.0 and edit dsdt/HDEF/layout-id to 0x01,0x00,0x00, 0x00. Restart.

You mean from this:

Code:
 "layout-id", 
                        /**** Is ResourceTemplate, but EndTag not at buffer end ****/ Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                            0x79, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
                        },

to this?

Code:
 "layout-id", 
                        /**** Is ResourceTemplate, but EndTag not at buffer end ****/ Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                            0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                        },

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back