Contribute
Register

HDMI Audio with new UEFI BIOS? How to would be helpful...

Status
Not open for further replies.
attached is the original dsdt extract
Your compile problem was caused by a patch you didn't mention in the first dsdt you attached. Use the extracted dsdt with the fix below. Verify it compiles successfully. That will be your base line dsdt for the HDMI audio edits.

after edit:
Code:
10628    Device (_SB.PCI0.DOCK)
            {
                Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C15"))
                Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0C15"))
                Name (_UID, 0x02)
                Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
                {
                     Return (Zero)
                 }
10637    }

Your compile problem was caused by a patch you didn't mention in the first dsdt you attached. Use the extracted dsdt with the fix below. Verify it compiles successfully. That will be your base line dsdt for the HDMI audio edits.

after edit:
Code:
10628    Device (_SB.PCI0.DOCK)
            {
                Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C15"))
                Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0C15"))
                Name (_UID, 0x02)
                Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
                {
                     Return (Zero)
                 }
10637    }

Thanks toleda! Time to get started on the HDMI edits.

Hi toleda,

Thanks.
I'll post my dsdt.aml tomorrow with the errors I can't get rid of.
Not at my hack right now.

Guess what, your new UEFI BIOS has a dsdt.....

Sorry for my ignorance, but I thought the point of going to UEFI was that we don't have to create a dsdt?
Are you saying that the only way to have HDMI Audio is to go through this whole process as if we still had BIOS?
There are many people who have announced that they have a fully working UEFI system without DSDT, is this simply because they are not using onboard video/HDMI and so their comments are misleading?
Are there any downsides (other than having to do it!) to creating a DSDT rather than OSX handling it?
I assume the native functionality is that OSX reads UEFI 'on the fly', perhaps reading an extracted DSDT which is created on startup.
Perhaps creating a dsdt means that it has to be updated everytime something is added or removed from the system, or could the system become a hybrid, using the created dsdt AND 'dynamic' one?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I thought the point of going to UEFI was that we don't have to create a dsdt?
Are you saying that the only way to have HDMI Audio is to go through this whole process as if we still had BIOS?
There are many people who have announced that they have a fully working UEFI system without DSDT, is this simply because they are not using onboard video/HDMI and so their comments are misleading?
Are there any downsides (other than having to do it!) to creating a DSDT rather than OSX handling it?
I assume the native functionality is that OSX reads UEFI 'on the fly', perhaps reading an extracted DSDT which is created on startup.
Perhaps creating a dsdt means that it has to be updated everytime something is added or removed from the system, or could the system become a hybrid, using the created dsdt AND 'dynamic' one?
UEFI does not change the architecture of the system. A dsdt is still required. What has changed is the native dsdts are more OS X friendly. When a user says they don't need a dsdt, it simply means they are satisfied with capabilities the native dsdt offers. Since the system runs, they may not be aware, for example, SpeedStep is not working, Other problems like sleep are obvious. Often, not always, editing the dsdt enables features that otherwise are not available. HDMI audio is an example. It is unlikely AMI will ever add the HDMI audio edits for OS X HDMI audio to its BIOS/dsdts.

There is no such thing is a "fully working UEFI system without DSDT". Those users have chosen not to extract the native dsdt, edit it and put in the Extra folder. The dsdt is updated when there is an updated BIOS or when a user enables a non-native feature. The only downside is an error in editing resulting in an unbootable system; easily fixed by replacing a bad dsdt with a known working backup.

Since I want HDMI audio, sleep, SpeedStep etc., I will always have an edited dsdt for each system, even with UEFI. In summary, Macs have had EFI for years and every Mac has a dsdt.

Hi Toleda,

Here is the DSL I named it errorDSDT.dsl.pdf because the website would not let me upload it as .dsl or .aml (too large)

I can't resolve these three errors, I'm simply extracting the DSDT, patching the generic patch for my board "GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3", and adding the ALC889 patch.

Thank you much for your insight.

In my extras folder I do not have a DSDT. I do have an SDST.

Any help you can give is much appreciated.

Attachments

• ErrorDSDT.dsl.pdf
    360.9 KB · Views: 127
  • ALC 889.txt
    2.5 KB · Views: 151
  • GA Z68X-UD3H-B3.txt
    9.4 KB · Views: 143
Hi Toleda,

Here is the DSL I named it errorDSDT.dsl.pdf because the website would not let me upload it as .dsl or .aml (too large)

I can't resolve these three errors, I'm simply extracting the DSDT, patching the generic patch for my board "GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3", and adding the ALC889 patch.
Attach the native dsdt, no patches. Use Finder/File/Compress instead of pdf. The dsl and aml files are not too large, the extension is not allowed. zip works every time.

OK,

thanks.

All I did was extract the DSDT, then compile, then fix errors, then save as native.dsl.

If that is incorrect I'm sorry, I know nothing here.

EDIT: Ok, I also attached the dsl without compiling or fixing errors, just in case that is what you want. It is called "extracted.dsl"

Thank you!

Attachments

• native.dsl.zip
    26.9 KB · Views: 70
  • extracted.dsl.zip
    26.9 KB · Views: 63
All I did was extract the DSDT, then compile, then fix errors, then save as native.dsl.

EDIT: Ok, I also attached the dsl without compiling or fixing errors, just in case that is what you want. It is called "extracted.dsl"
The dsdt patch file is not for the UEFI dsdts. It is for the Award BIOS. There may be something useful in the patch file for the AMI UEFI but I don't know. If you are up for an experiment. Read on. Otherwise, reply with not interested.

Download the attachment.

Some notes
1. You cannot use the patch file more than once on a dsdt. If problems, start over with recovery file.
2. The HDMI audio dsdt edits are for AMI UEFI Sandy Bridge only (GA and Asus)
3. You must use the MultiBeast/With DSDT/ALC 8__/AppleHDA_v2.2.0 (10.7.4)
4. Installs both integrated and discrete graphics HDMI audio; you can use one or the other or both.

Use your native dsdt. Fix any errors you want.
Run DSDT Editor/Patch/Open ami_clean_compile.txt, Apply, Compile and Save.
Hopefully there are no errors.
The saved file is your recovery dsdt.

If you want HD3000 HDMI audio set layout-id to 0x85, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00
If you want Nvidia HDMI audio set layout-id to 0x79, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
if you want both, use HD3000 HDMI audio layout-id

TextEdit Open/Downloads/hd3000_hdmi_audio_dsdt_editing_kit/hdmi_audio_ami_sandy_bridge.txt
Edit HDEF/layout-id to the above.
Save

Run DSDT Editor/Patch/Open hdmi_audio_ami_sandy_bridge.txt, Apply, Compile and Save.
Hopefully there are no errors.
Save

Install dsdt.aml to Extra/dsdt.aml

Restart. Verify HDMI dsdt edits in IOReg.

More Info: Downloads/hd3000_hdmi_audio_dsdt_editing_kit/-read_me_first-hd3000_hdmi_audio.pdf

View attachment hd3000_hdmi_audio_dsdt_editing_kit.zip

I am interested, but I am slow (and I have children).

I'll work my way through this info.
I'm going to go buy a new SSD tonight and try and do this.

Thank you again!

EDIT:
Trying the third option, "both", I got a KP at startup.
Using the Nvidia option I've got HDMI audio!!!

ACES!

Love you.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back