Contribute
Register

HDMI Audio Through AMD XFX RX 480 8gb Reference Card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@gigamax:

don't know, how you get Sound through HDMI of your RX480. As i mentioned in another thread, i use Sapphire RX460, but after i've heard, that sound via HDMI should do it with 10.12.4 beta1, i switched to this card (RX480), too.

But: N O T H I N G !
Can see DP and HDMI Sound in system prifiler under AUDIO, can select between DP and HDMI in sound control panel, can set # of channels in MIDI Setup-App - but still got silence on both ports (DP and HDMI).

Tried with "inject ATI = true" and with "inject ATI = false" but still silence. CLOVER rev. 3995
Have to mention the following: DP is connected to DELL U3415W screen, able to play sound. HDMI connected to DENON X4000 AVR.

The only sound i get, is through my CalDigit Thunderbolt II Hub, which includes USB-Audio device.

PS: onBoard Audio completely disabled via BIOS.

PPS: tried also your attached config.plist - but still NOTHING.

@gigamax:

don't know, how you get Sound through HDMI of your RX480. As i mentioned in another thread, i use Sapphire RX460, but after i've heard, that sound via HDMI should do it with 10.12.4 beta1, i switched to this card (RX480), too.

But: N O T H I N G !
Can see DP and HDMI Sound in system prifiler under AUDIO, can select between DP and HDMI in sound control panel, can set # of channels in MIDI Setup-App - but still got silence on both ports (DP and HDMI).

Tried with "inject ATI = true" and with "inject ATI = false" but still silence. CLOVER rev. 3995
Have to mention the following: DP is connected to DELL U3415W screen, able to play sound. HDMI connected to DENON X4000 AVR.

The only sound i get, is through my CalDigit Thunderbolt II Hub, which includes USB-Audio device.

PS: onBoard Audio completely disabled via BIOS.

PPS: tried also your attached config.plist - but still NOTHING.

This is weird, we both have Skylake systems, I noticed that I had to create a new config.plist by removing my current config.plist in EFI clover folder and in main partition in EFI backups. I removed them and then loaded a fresh downloaded version of clover. This gave me a MacBook 1.1 definition the same as when you create a new USB boot loader. If I just reloaded clover bootloader with existing config.plist in the system the new one has all the old config.plist settings and not the MacBook 1.1 definition. I also removed the clover boot log files in each location as well. This allowed a fresh clover install with the MacBook 1.1 definition. I then ran configurator and set system definition and then copy and pasted my old serial and uuid numbers to the new config.plist.

Maybe your clover bootlog or a backup clover file is preventing the new config.plist (mine) from taking hold and it reverts back to your old setup. We have the same Vbios I think as I sent it to you a long time ago in the early Betas before the public release so you should have sound as well.

Note: I normally remove all the ACPI settings and select only fix display and USB, but this time I left them in place, CPU Tuning is also different, halt enabler, generate pstates and cstates. I've noticed that my sleep functions are working now, except for deep sleep 6-8 hours. When it sleeps or when I select sleep from menu it shuts down and the fans stop when I hit any key it reloads the page and I can hear my RX card fan spinning like at boot. Everything works but benchmarks like Uningine are sluggish until I run them a few times, open run and then close. Are you using a ssdt that you generated?

Did you try the "Systems Preferences" sound, I have to select between my LG and USB sound card?

Last edited:
Yeah, i am using some SSDTs (one for USB, one for GFX to make it IGPU and GFX1).
I know, that it is booting from my corrent config.plist, cause whenever i change something, i will notice that change in Clovers main menu when booted to CLOVER. i Also have a few kextPatches: FramebufferPatch for different cards (only the main patch is set to "Enabled"), NVME Patch from Pike, and the "expand RX Shader Units" patch from okrasit. No more, no less.

Also i can switch between DP sound and HDMI sound in Sound Control Panel - but no matter, what i select: i can't hear any sound.

When I replaced my old config.plist in my system I lost sound, so it was the fresh install of clover that did it for me. I checked and when I connected to my DisplayPort the sound worked through it and the HDMI option disappeared.
sound HDMI.png sund monitor.png

Last edited:
I still don't understood what SSDTs are good for?
Expand RX shader Units -> means the Story enabling from 16 to 36 CUs on the RX480?

SSDTs are related to CPU power management and can effect performance if not set or configured correctly.. If relying on a default you may not get optimal performance.

DSDTs are usually the many little fixes needed to make your Hackintosh function correctly. Check your ACPI folder in EFI clover folder and see how many fixes there are, some people configure their own according to their preferred fixes like sound, hdmi, ethernet, usb, displays etc...

Both of these can affect booting and or loading of kexts during the boot process from what I understand.

Can one of you check your RX 460 audio loading?
@Jerry2345, @mork Vom Ork.
I used DCPImanager and IORegistry and have these specs. What DCPImanager lists is aa011002, and what is showing in IORegistry is aa301002, aa401002, aa381002. Also, the DCPI shows device as R6XX. Do either of you have this or are you listing R9xxx.

AMD R6XX.png

It looks like I loaded the sound by a fluke I made a CarbonCopyClone and repeated it with a fresh config.plist as an iMac 16.2. However I've tried to get the same results on my other sad using the same config.plists as well as new ones and removing and reloading clover. I am getting "Disabler" in IORegistery when it starts to detect the audio @ pego@1.

Audio Disabler IORegstry.pngHDA Disablerkext..png

I used DCPImanager and IORegistry and have these specs. What DCPImanager lists is aa011002, and what is showing in IORegistry is aa301002, aa401002, aa381002. Also, the DCPI shows device as R6XX.
aa01 is used frequently for the AMD HDMI audio codec (i.e., HD7750), label is not relevant. The other noted device_ids are audio controller devices. Intel HD audio is configured with a controller and a codec, both must be present (or injected) in AppleHDA.kext.

aa01 is used frequently for the AMD HDMI audio codec (i.e., HD7750), label is not relevant. The other noted device_ids are audio controller devices. Intel HD audio is configured with a controller and a codec, both must be present (or injected) in AppleHDA.kext.

I found a Wikileaks list and aa01 is labeled as ATY Mobility, and there is aa10 with is HDMI audio. Any way to fake id this for audio? I tried IMEI in clover boot screen settings. Is there a method to inject aa10 versus the aa01?

Can one of you check your RX 460 audio loading?
@Jerry2345, @mork Vom Ork.

DCPI Mangler says:

AMD R9 xxx
0x1002AAE0, 0x1458AAE0

Using IORegistry, HDAU is mia, but I do have:

Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 8.18.13 PM.jpg

does that help? (This is without any SSDT type of audio fixes.)

The only way I can get any HDMI / DP controls to show up in the Sound Preferences Pane is by using one of the SSDT.aml type of audio fixes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back