Contribute
Register

HD Caddy for HP Probook 4530s and SSD Harddisk question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is your bottloader installed?
If you took out the Primary Disk, will it boot from the caddy?

Just tried it and I can boot with Chimera by selecting MAC or Windows from the primary HD and also boot off the HD caddy with the Windows boot loader by using F9.

I've been given a hard disk from my sisters broken laptop so i'm looking to get the second drive caddy so I can have mac and windows on separate disks but i'm unclear on dimensions.
I've found a seller on ebay and they've got some dimensions on the photo's can someone confirm they are correct??
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320712245663? ... 1423.l2649

Attachments

• 476137118_o.jpg
    476137118_o.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 375
  • 476137150_o.jpg
    476137150_o.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 263
I got a few different caddies, and only one fit the 4430s. I'll snag a p/n in a moment.

The problem I ran into was that, on the 4430s, the green circuit board on the caddy interfered with the SATA plug on the notebook and the caddy would not push in all the way.

thanks it would be very helpful to anyone who's thinking of buying one to avoid buying ones that don't fit.
It's listed for a mac but as long as it fits who cares right?

I've removed my cd drives and checked the dimensions and added them to the photos below:
Yes i'm aware the photos i've used are of a hard drive caddy but it was quicker and easier than taking my own.
Unfortunately it seems lots of the listed caddy's don't have actual dimensions or are more than the dvd drive.
EDIT: It appears there is a slight play in the width of the drive when you put it half way in so drives that are 128 mm wide are a maybe.

Attachments

• 10010831_5_image.jpg
    10010831_5_image.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 253
  • 10010831_2_image.jpg
    10010831_2_image.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 326
Okay is there an official guide for multiple boot, specifically Windows / OSX? I've gotten it to work a couple times, but sometimes my Windows (NTFS) volume just disappears from the boot loader and I'm afraid I must be doing something incorrectly.

Does anyone have a quick and dirty "how-to" or a link to one?

Thanks in advance.

@Liposuction Please tell me the config you have?

Are Lion and Windows installed on the same disk?

If so, is it on an MBR or GUID Partition Table?

If it is MBR, I would use EasyBCD and add a boot menu option for the Windows Boot Manager. I am not sure if we are allowed to discuss an MBR patch, so I may have to erase this. Does anyone know if this is Kosher?

If it is GUID, I would use Chameleon and make sure to set my whichever partition you want (Windows or Lion) to be the default partition. I used this up until a week ago and it did the job well.

If you are not hiding any volumes from the bootloader, there should be no reason for it to disappear. I did notice when I had an NTFS volume on my media drive that was not hidden I would sometimes see it appear and disappear. When I put Lion and Windows on the same disk I don't get the disappearing volume, but I do have the thing where my Windows never fully shuts down.

Good luck!!

P.S. If a guide is what you are looking for, I am sure there is one mixed in this entire site, or you could go to my blog. I think I have a pretty thorough guide on how to do it.

Oops. My bad. Probably should have included that.

2 hard drives:
- Internal system drive - OSX - GUID
- Caddy drive - Windows - Can be GUID or MBR I don't care

I can switch them if it makes it easier.

EDIT - Okay yeah I'm not sure what to do here. I've got Windows on one drive and OSX on the other and Chimera will only give me the option for OSX. What gives?

liposuction said:
Oops. My bad. Probably should have included that.

2 hard drives:
- Internal system drive - OSX - GUID
- Caddy drive - Windows - Can be GUID or MBR I don't care

I can switch them if it makes it easier.

EDIT - Okay yeah I'm not sure what to do here. I've got Windows on one drive and OSX on the other and Chimera will only give me the option for OSX. What gives?

Welcome to my world for the last 2 months!
I've got s/l, lion and windows on my hard drive though all bootloaders ONLY recognise osx.
To use windows I need to change the primary partition to windows and repair it and then windows boots automatically and chimera isn't loaded.

I've managed to dual boot lots of times previously but on my last install chimera and chameleon won't see the windows partition.

I've no idea how or why but i'm going to do a full fresh install of all os's soon and cross my fingers.
By the way, have you got those measurements for me yet so I can look for a caddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back