Contribute
Register

HD Caddy for HP Probook 4530s and SSD Harddisk question

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks a lot - ordered my plastic kit from hp few minutes ago.

Re: HD Caddy

OK I finally got a new caddy and it installed perfectly.
It is as stated a 12.7mm, although with mine I didn't cut anything in order to make it fit (Tin snips and super glue had me worried!).
The DVD drive has two prongs to unlatch the cover. Two additional ones (towards the center) snapped right into the new caddy. (also remove the metal clip you unscrewed to remove the DVD drive and install that on caddy) It sits flush and works like a charm!
I partitioned the 2nd HDD to ExFAT after both OS's installed and moved my User folder to the 2nd HDD. Now it's viewable in Win7 and OSX.
Both OS's are installed on my SSD, I recommend getting atleast a 60gb.
Win7 took up about 25gb with no programs and after OSX apps it was cutting it close too. Between the two I have 8gb on Mac and approx 4gb on Win7 of free space (God Windows is bloated)
Here's a link
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XI ... 00_details
$10 bucks at time of purchase (+S&H)
Dimensions: 5" L x 5.25" W x 0.5" H (12.7mm Thick)
Good luck!

Ok, I've looked around for answers to no avail. Here's what happened, I installed the second hdd (exfat) and started using it as a universal user folder.
I formatted the ssd 2 partitions one mac journaled and one msdos, loaded windows then mac, then added the 2nd hdd as exfat.
After everything was set up I started getting cannot "write to disk errors" for safari downloads. Also address book sync wouldn't work, Mail and iCal worked fine but for some reason Address book failed.
I reinstalled mac and I'm gonna try again.
I verified downloads and sync before re-reinstalling the 2nd hdd. I'm about to retry incase I made a mistake (I followed a mac ssd performance guide) http://www.mactalk.com.au/content/tutor ... -pro-1411/ could be the issue?
I don't think it has any effect on the 2nd drive not writing, but I'm scratching my head over here.
Might be posting in the wrong area...(forum search didn't help)
I'll post any results.
Just wondering if anyone could relate.

*Update solved over here: viewtopic.php?p=270891#p270891
exFAT doesn't enable "owner" so it must be a security issue with the format I made 2 partitions one for mac and a exFAT for windows and transfers

I just received my caddies. I ordered a hdd caddy and an external usb caddy to put my DVD in it. Total cost 15,90$ including combined shipping. :D

I put my Vertex in there but I can't make it boot. When I press F9 the only option that I get is Notebook Hard Drive. Anybody booted from the caddy successfully?

the option to boot is notebook update bay, or something.

Secondly, if you do not see that, your ssd either has nothing on it, or is not seated properly (plugged in).

Mine works just fine.

timohour said:
I just received my caddies. I ordered a hdd caddy and an external usb caddy to put my DVD in it. Total cost 15,90$ including combined shipping. :D

I put my Vertex in there but I can't make it boot. When I press F9 the only option that I get is Notebook Hard Drive. Anybody booted from the caddy successfully?
Do you have another 2,5 HDD to try?
It will answer your questions.

PS. A couple of days ago I ordered mine. A caddy and an USB enclosure for the Optical Drive and it will take at least two weeks until they arrive.

Does anyone else whose installed the hard drive caddy with the second hard drive noticed that when shutting down from Windows on a dual-boot that you need to hold the power button down to actually shut it off. I have both Lion and Windows booting from my 256GB SSD which is in the primary hard drive location and I never have issues with Lion/Snow Leopard shutting down, only with Windows. The system shuts down, but the fans, power light, and wifi light remain on. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

What did you guys search for on the HP site to find the plastic parts?

I tried it with 2 disks an ssd with lion in it and a second hdd with Windows in it. Both disks were bootable from the sata port that is the notebook's hdd. When I get into the os I can read the disks (only problem is that there is no boot option. My bios is F20. Maybe HP put a test on the bay and if it is an hdd it doesn't show on the boot options.

I partially solved my problem. Installed the OSX drive on the primary disk place and I can choose from chimera the windows partition on the bay hdd from the list. However I would like a full solution if possible.

Thanks
timohour

@inmike09

What happened with your memories after all?

I was able to boot from the HDD Upgrade Bay without an issue. As a matter of fact, I pulled the primary HD and installed Windows on the HDD Upgrade bay via usb without an issue. I am now dual booting with no problems using Chimera as my boot loader.

BTW: I bought the same HD Caddy that jjjooonnn did

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back