Contribute
Register

HD 4000 - green screen with iTunes movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bummer, that sux especially since it was legally obtained lol.

gotta love apple and their wisdom haha.

guess I will live with dual booting for the use of games and iTunes until there's some solution. :)

10.9 still has the same issue :(
Don't know if anyone will ever figure out how to fix this :)

I get a solid green screen with sound now in Mavericks. In Mountain Lion I used to get like a scrambled screen with green, yellow and pink colors also with sound and was able to make out some of the actual text or scenes, still scrambled of course.

Something I've thought of while my restless brain won't let me sleep! Has anyone got Chimera installed on the EFI partition as per the guide here?

I was wondering, because it has reportedly fixed some graphics based issues (albeit to do with booting), whether it makes any difference to the green screen issue. I'll try at some point tomorrow if I can and report back when able.

I have Clover installed using the EFI partition and I haven't seen any change in this issue...but give it a shot, initially I changed to Clover from Chimera (not using the EFI partition method) in hopes that it would fix this issue but I've seen no change.

Ok, so no joy. I knew it was a long shot, but hey, was worth a try. On the upside for me, I only have one purchased Video from itunes and tend to stream from my server to Apple TV or play on my other mac via iTunes HomeSharing, both of which work fine. It would just be nice to be abke to get the hackmini working 100% and this is the only issue I can find!!!!

There is no question in my mind that it is a driver issue where a driver will not load for non real Macs because (by accident or design) only real Macs load the correct drivers (probably because of code within the binary file of one or more drivers or because of code within the iTunes application itself).

For sure it is not that the hardware is itself incompatible. For instance, my Z77 Zotac will happily play purchases in Windows 7 but not from OS X. Win 7 will even (if you have MacDrive installed) play the files from your OS X iTunes library.

If you go to Terminal and type the following commands, there's something really interesting:

cd /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreKE.framework/Versions/A
strings CoreKE | less

Hit the space bar a few times and you'll see that encryption certificates for Intel, Nvidia, and AMD video decoding are referenced. Somehow, I think the CoreKE framework is used by iTunes to decode videos which have DRM.

Another private framework, /System/Library/AppleGVA.framework is what I believe coordinates the actual hardware accelerated video decoding. If you play around with the Info.plist in that framework, there is a key in a System Support entry dictionary called ke1 which you can toggle true or false. If you toggle it true, then you get the green screen or pink/garbled video. If you toggle it false, you simply get a black screen. In both cases, the audio plays and the progress bar works.

Just wild speculation here, but I'm guessing ke1 is a reference to a decryption key that should be used and can somehow be passed straight into the GPU for use in hardware decoding of streams which have DRM.

A few thoughts come to mind:

1. If the problem has to do with a key, why does this key not work for Hackintoshes? Is it stored in the firmware of genuine Macs? Is it available via a driver that isn't being loaded?

2. As a workaround, would we be able to play videos with DRM if we simply turn off support for Video Decode Acceleration, so that the CPU handles everything? If so, how can we accomplish this?

II'm guessing ke1 is a reference to a decryption key that should be used and can somehow be passed straight into the GPU for use in hardware decoding of streams which have DRM.
The iTunes error: iTunes[298]: AVF error: flow_KE1 acceleratorCreate 1
The problem: AVF did not start.
The key likely included in Apple EFI rather than a plist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back