Contribute
Register

HD 4000 - green screen with iTunes movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried yesterday, but that doesn't work anymore.
I wonder if 6 series mobos with ivy bridge processor (or viceversa) have this issue as well.

I haven't tried the mix and match. If I downgrade back to 10.8.0 without updating the work around that you tried yesterday plays fine. I have even tried selecting for playback in 720p, standard def.
For a while I went to Apple.com/trailers which also worked but now they have changed it for us to watch them via iTunes in OS X.

No apparently it works fine under windows. Which to me is odd.

The Apple forum discussions also mentioned trouble with real Macs. Literally a guy took one into the Apple store and they were unable to help him. I posted a while back in one of those links that to get it to work you could open iTunes in Finder/get info and change it from 64bit to 32bit which worked until iTunes was updated. That solution came from someone with a real Mac.

Hmmm, well if the 7 series boards play iTunes purchases fine under Windows (and possibly in parallels/VMware too???) then it is not a hardware limitation or a UEFI issue. Also obviously Apple took the time to write the M4V codec for Windows so that 7 series board can play them.

Possibly then a driver issue, with some part of the chipset not having the right ID to be recognised by the m4v codecs quicktime uses for OS X but I am still inclined to think it is at least a backdoor DRM limitation (after all why should Apple software engineers take the time to make sure 7 series boards that are not their own and are running OS X should be able to play their stuff?) or some system check within iTunes that our boards fail to meet. Perhaps if there was some way to more closely disguise a board as an Ivy bridge Mac or inject an ID that will make the M4v Codec think that the board has the right Apple hardware then there might be a way around.

Either way, I think the birthday present call for an AppleTV might just go out there as I am not arrogant enough to think that we will overcome the limitation (but I do think it is worth spending a little time on for the sake of the learning exercise!).

Hmmm, well if the 7 series boards play iTunes purchases fine under Windows (and possibly in parallels/VMware too???) then it is not a hardware limitation or a UEFI issue. Also obviously Apple took the time to write the M4V codec for Windows so that 7 series board can play them.

Possibly then a driver issue, with some part of the chipset not having the right ID to be recognised by the m4v codecs quicktime uses for OS X but I am still inclined to think it is at least a backdoor DRM limitation (after all why should Apple software engineers take the time to make sure 7 series boards that are not their own and are running OS X should be able to play their stuff?) or some system check within iTunes that our boards fail to meet. Perhaps if there was some way to more closely disguise a board as an Ivy bridge Mac or inject an ID that will make the M4v Codec think that the board has the right Apple hardware then there might be a way around.

Either way, I think the birthday present call for an AppleTV might just go out there as I am not arrogant enough to think that we will overcome the limitation (but I do think it is worth spending a little time on for the sake of the learning exercise!).

Well yes its worth spending time on. I spent hours trying to persue a remedy. A little off topic but there was a thread titled [SOLVED] Valid DVD Drive could not be found -70012 - Mountain Lion and all it consisted of was a DVDPlayback.framework patch. I know this is not relevant to the iTunes issue but it made me think there maybe a solution/patch in one of the frameworks that would as you say "make it disguise a board as an IB Mac" and display correctly. I was considering rolling back the frameworks to when iTunes worked on 7 series boards which was 10.8.2 in 32bit mode. But after the huge time spent that it as far as it got.

EDIT: Also I have tried with DSDT No HDMI patches, DSDT with HDMI patches, and straight talking UEFI No DSDT booting with onboard audio, just incase this may save you some time.

Just for kicks I plugged my HD TV into my MacBook Air and then played the videos I cannot play from my hack over the network and through the MBA to the TV. Everything worked absolutely fine. Even the HD purchases work fine that way too.

So certainly on that basis the AppleTV workaround should work. Pretty annoying though to have to pay £99 just to access stuff I have purchased and to have to stream videos to another box when my hack is already connected directly to the same TV.

I'm probably just going to spend another couple of hours on this before admitting defeat and getting back to my life. Next target is to see what I can from pacifist looking at the different iTunes install packages.

I'm probably just going to spend another couple of hours on this before admitting defeat and getting back to my life. Next target is to see what I can from pacifist looking at the different iTunes install packages.
I'm with you, man! Good luck!

As I am doing this on an experimental drive (and have everything safe elsewhere) I am getting a bit drastic and have Appzapped iTunes and the latest Quicktime and gone back to Quicktime 7 and now downloading iTunes 10.6.3 (which was the first version to support ML) to see if there is any change....more than likely nothing will be able to be opened at all but what the heck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back