Contribute
Register

HD 3000 Video Artefacts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, all. I just wanted to chime in that I am experiencing similar issues. The system will freeze quite often, typically after sitting unused for long periods of time and also during certain graphics-intensive operations (usually when using flash video player inside a browser). By 'freeze' I mean that I will be able to move the cursor and get responses from certain UI elements but not others, then all UI becomes unresponsive until I reboot.

I am running the H61N-USB3 with a custom F2-edited DSDT for HDMI audio. I actually have F3 BIOS now so I may switch that out for the DSDT uploaded by jaredkipe. I am also using the lynx2mac Realtek drivers.

One piece of advice for everyone in this thread - crank down your graphics memory as much as possible in the BIOS (32MB)! Apple hardware disregards this BIOS setting anyway because no equivalent exists on Apple motherboards. Instead, the OS reserves memory for the HD3000 based on system variables and driver settings regardless of the BIOS setting. Really all you are doing is wasting memory pages if you reserve it in BIOS! This was confirmed by RevoGirl.

I recommend everyone read through some of her entries on the HD3000 artifacts and instability: https://revogirl.wordpress.com/2012/01/ ... roperties/

I am hoping that 10.7.3 may bring some stability fixes to the system since it contains graphics driver updates but I am not putting much faith in it. I may try changing the network driver but I am fairly confident the problems are tied to the HD3000 after reading about so many users with the same issue.

Has anyone been able to successfully resolve this problem? I may try a larger amount of memory or a different manufacturer next and see if that affects the system freezes.

Yeah, doesn't seem ready for stable release. So it bothers me that it's so widely recommended by these "customac's".

thefsb said:
I got rid of HD 3000 video artefacts by installing a video card (see .sig).

Oh c'mon!

That's like saying I got my car to accelerate twice as fast by buying a new car... stupid...

cem2ran said:
thefsb said:
I got rid of HD 3000 video artefacts by installing a video card (see .sig).

Oh c'mon!

That's like saying I got my car to accelerate twice as fast by buying a new car... stupid...
actually it's more like saying i got my car to stop breaking down by replacing the transmission.

F**K THIS S**T

I bought a Radeon HD6670 1Gb DDR5 for 90$

Works OUT OF BOX with GraphicsEnabler=no

marcagio said:
F**K THIS S**T

What I don't get is the silence of the gurus on HD 3000 problems. They claim it works fine but this seems inconsistent with other users' experience. tonymacx86 has bragged about the Customac Mini and indeed recommends the build but what are the conditions under which HD 3000 works properly?

thefsb said:
marcagio said:
F**K THIS S**T

What I don't get is the silence of the gurus on HD 3000 problems. They claim it works fine but this seems inconsistent with other users' experience. tonymacx86 has bragged about the Customac Mini and indeed recommends the build but what are the conditions under which HD 3000 works properly?

Yeah it's kinda sad, as I was under the impression that it was fully working. That's why I chose my current MB and CPU...

Sorry for giving up the battle guys, I just couldn't stand it anymore :(

Tonymac is EVIL for saying HD3000 works...

And I will believe he is evil until he shows you guys a solution.

marcagio said:
Sorry for giving up the battle guys, I just couldn't stand it anymore :(

Tonymac is EVIL for saying HD3000 works...

And I will believe he is evil until he shows you guys a solution.

Thanks too strong for me. (Though I'm not sure what it really means anyway.)

There's some lack of attention to detail and sometimes it seems enthusiasm overcomes engineering in some of the assertions that have been made.

However, on the same topic of HD 3000: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=51019. It's a long post, sorry (it's been a long and complex story), but leads to the same tentative conclusion: don't do HD 3000 if you need a stable reliable system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back