Contribute
Register
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Startech one is the same one I have, but as I mentioned in my thread, I already had this component. But minihacks suggestion is also a valid one, with the adapter I have, you need to use female to female jumper cables, or manufacture your own, in order to connect to the pins.

With minihacks suggestion, like he said, you can connect the motherboard cables straight into the adapter.

Swings and roundabouts ;-).

Another suggestion is to find someone that can access the TaoBao (or similar) chinese sites, as they have many parts pre made including full PCBs etc, so a Mac Pro PC mod. The prices are high, and obtaining these parts are difficult. The first thing I seen on this site, was the front panel, already wired, with cables that connect straight to the motheboard. If only we could easily buy these in the UK.

Good luck!
Thanks think i will give the Startech one ago, concentrate on power and led and go from there, any idea what size female jumpers i need
cheers Darren

Any idea what size female jumpers i need
cheers Darren

I just used what I could find quickly. Look here http://tinyurl.com/c7p8hrt - I had some of these. You can buy motherboard cables, but some of the connectors cannot just fit in the same fashion, the pin outs are not laid out the same. That's why I used single jumper cables.

There are many ways to do this. When I have the USB & Audio wired, I will rewire the whole thing again, so it looks super clean as well.

Did you wire the fans directly to a molex or SATA power cable or did you stick a resistor in line to slow/quiet those Delta beasts?

I am not quite sure what 'Delta beasts' are, but I have used Noctua NF-P12 120mm Case fans, which are connected to the motherboard using the normal connections. There are 5 fan connections on the Maximus V Gene board.

I haven't used the resistors to quiet it down, as it is not that loud. I will try it out though, as the Noctua's come with resistors in the box.

I think the GPU fan is making the most noise. But to be honest, it's a lot quieter than a real Mac Pro, as we have one in our music studio, and its loud enough (for me). So, for mine to be quieter than the real thing is just another bonus.

If you don't mind me asking, which standoffs did you use for your mod?

Of I don't mind you asking! :) Ask away.......

I used standard motherboard standoffs, when I get home, I will post a photo of them in situ, and also of some spare ones I have.

I doubled them up, so the board fitted nicely and also gave me room for cable routing underneath. However, I onl currently have my WiFi cables going under it.

They look just like these below:

IMG_6805.jpg

I apologize, I thought you had the original Mac Pro fans.

@spence
Don't apologise! Easy mistake to make. I removed them all, as I know they are a pain to get properly running with PC hardware. So, to me, the easiest solution was to remove them.

I still have the fans, I need to get rid of them. I have a fair few Apple parts, that I need to put on eBay.

In other news, my chrome rubber edging arrived today (From kustompcs in the UK). I will see what they look like on the PSU hole at the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back