Graphics
intergrated
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Okay, my last post about this ended up as an argument between two members, and really didn't help me.

The computer I am building is:
A Computer running both, OSX and Windows. On separate SSD'S with a 3tb storage hdd
For Audio Production and light/medium Gaming.
Not planning to overclock however It's a small possibility.
Running a 660TI as GPU.

I was originally going for an I5 3570K with a Gigabyte Ga-z77x-ds3h.
Now that Haswell has been released should I look at a build with it instead?
Or should I upgrade to an Ivy bridge I7 because i'm sure they will drop prices?

Is Haswell even stable yet? Should I wait for it to be? or go with an Ivy bridge?

Okay, my last post about this ended up as an argument between two members, and really didn't help me.

The computer I am building is:
A Computer running both, OSX and Windows. On separate SSD'S with a 3tb storage hdd
For Audio Production and light/medium Gaming.
Not planning to overclock however It's a small possibility.
Running a 660TI as GPU.

I was originally going for an I5 3570K with a Gigabyte Ga-z77x-ds3h.
Now that Haswell has been released should I look at a build with it instead?
Or should I upgrade to an Ivy bridge I7 because i'm sure they will drop prices?

Is Haswell even stable yet? Should I wait for it to be? or go with an Ivy bridge?

No overclock? Haswell. Overclock? Ivy IF you can find an extremely good deal (my microcenter has open box ds3h for 60 bucks with rebate). Haswell is slightly faster clock for clock. Haswell also runs a little hotter, so OC limits are usually slightly lower so it even outs. They USUALLY end up pretty close to even with a 24/7 safe overclock, but it is all luck of the draw.

Also since you are going I5? I think this tips the scale even more to the Haswell. The 1155 i7's might be a pain to find if you ever decide to upgrade.

Black friday is coming soon also. 760 is really good for bank for buck atm as a video card also.

If you can't wait though? Even a stock voltage OC on the Ivy at like 4.2, 4.3 should be slightly faster then a stock Haswell. Haswell is basically a VERY slightly faster Ivy with better integrated graphics (you aren't using).

This is the tock in the Intel Tick-Tock release. Nothing big. Upgrading from a ivy to a haswell is simply stupid. Choosing the ivy over haswell however can be the right decision IF you are getting a crazy deal. If they are around the same? Haswell all the way.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1692778/ivy-bridge-haswell.html

As you see it is quite a split decision. Hence all the arguing. :)

Man that's great thanks. I really haven't looked Into haswell, so for all I know it could have been some big game changer and everyone's upgrading so my worry was in a few years time ivy bridge won't have support on the os and stuff:) so does haswell have support on mountain lion? And what's the benefit of a 760 over 660TI?

If you can wait for compatibility, I'd go with haswell. Not because its better, but because the Mobo that you would have to buy would give you more longevity. Since its based on the 1150 socket, there will be a whole new set of cpu's coming out in a year (broadwell) which will give you something to upgrade to in the future. If you cant wait, nothing wrong with ivy. They over clock quite well up until 4.5ghz. Which is probably comparable to a haswell OC'ed to somewhere around 4.3ghz.

I'm sure once I have the machine running I wouldn't be looking for an upgrade for a while, it's very powerful for what I need, so by the time I might start looking to upgrade I'm sure there would be a new set of CPUs and mobos and I'd end up upgrading both, but that's a few years away

Depends on how soon you need it.

I personally went for the IVY road back in June as I didnt want to wait for Haswell release, but also wait for Apple support.Once Apple support is released you still need to wait for hackintosh compatibility.

If you want it now, just pick IVY. If you can wait, well then sure go HASWELL.

Personally, like you, I found this whole upgrade path compatibility argument utterly pointless as very few people actually upgrade their CPU's on a yearly basis which is where the motherboard compatibility argument plays out.

Regardless of what you pick, realistically, when you come to upgrade next, you WILL end up upgrading motherboard, CPU and maybe even RAM. Motherboard compatibility only seems to run on a 2 year cycle anyway.

Okay, if the ivy prices drop them I may be able to get an i7 ivy which would be great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back