Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello everyone,

I built a hackintosh for someone and I really need it to be plugged into one main monitor (a 1080p Acer, via DVI) as well as an HDTV (via HDMI to VGA adapter). Unfortunately, when the computer is on, and I plug in the TV (HDMI) after the Monitor (DVI) is already plugged in, the computer freezes, and the only way to get it back up and running is to unplug the HDMI adapter from the computer, and force a restart. When both monitors are plugged in when turning on the computer, the main display changes, and the computer goes through an endless boot loop (showing the Gigabyte logo on the TV, then Chimera on the Acer, repeating).

I really need to get this working very soon. I am supposed to give the person the computer today.

Here are the computer specs:
Gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI (Mini ITX)
Intel Core i3-4330 (HD 4600 Graphics)
8GB Kingston HyperX Blu RAM
1TB WD Blue HDD

Any help is appreciated.

When I plug the TV into the upper HDMI port, and the computer is already on with the DVI plugged in, it works... almost. The TV has a black screen when on the VGA input, and I can't get it to show anything. There is a signal, though, because if there wasn't, it would say so.

I think it still never boots when they are both plugged in on startup.

The audio port next to the VGA on the TV still works normally, but the TV just shows a black screen.

Is anyone else having the boot loop problem when they are both plugged in on startup? It also seems that the Chimera bootloader looks different than normal when it is in boot loop. It looks like an older version with no skin.

Please help, I would like to solve this problem ASAP.

When I plug the TV into the upper HDMI port, and the computer is already on with the DVI plugged in, it works... almost. The TV has a black screen when on the VGA input, and I can't get it to show anything. There is a signal, though, because if there wasn't, it would say so.

I think it still never boots when they are both plugged in on startup.

VGA is not supported in OS X. Some have managed to get it working using GPU's , some have used DVI to VGA adaptors with a GPU and some have used HDMI to VGA adaptors again with a separate GPU. There is however no guarantee that it will work. One problem dual booting while using HDMI is that is uses a handshake thousands of times per second to confirm what the two devices are, resolutions and copyright protection. Adaptors often brake that link that will prevent an OS from booting.

Adrian B

VGA is not supported in OS X. Some have managed to get it working using GPU's , some have used DVI to VGA adaptors with a GPU and some have used HDMI to VGA adaptors again with a separate GPU. There is however no guarantee that it will work. One problem dual booting while using HDMI is that is uses a handshake thousands of times per second to confirm what the two devices are, resolutions and copyright protection. Adaptors often brake that link that will prevent an OS from booting.

Adrian B

Is there any way I can get it to work? With another adapter? I can't use anything other than VGA because his VGA cable is wired through his wall to his TV.

Is there any way I can get it to work? With another adapter? I can't use anything other than VGA because his VGA cable is wired through his wall to his TV.

Looking at Gigabytes web page for this motherboard and checking the onboard graphics specs that this board can cope with, I see that it has a DVI-I port. If you are lucky then you might be able to use a DVI-I to VGA adaptor. It will depend how the onboard graphics handle the graphics.
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4601#sp
IF the OS decides on the signal to be used (analogue or digital) then this will not work as Apple have the OS configured for a digital only output signal.

It the onboard GPU is able to take the digital only information from the OS and the onboard graphics then are able to output a digital signal and an analogue signal (the motherboard must be able to turn a digital signal into analogue signal) then you will be in luck. Not sure what you will get resolution wise and I think this probably will not work simply as things are going digital for the rights management issues. (copyright)

Adding an external GPU may be your best hope. I have tried VGA output from a GPU using OS X - the quality was poor and dual screen with different resolutions was unworkable.

The solution is to use two screens with 1920x1080x32 resolution, both with HDMI/DVI-D inputs - this work really well with Mavericks.

Adrian B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back