Contribute
Register

Haswell-E + X99 Motherboard Temporary Guide - OS X 10.9.4 / 10.9.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay! Thanks!

My system is a: 5820k, 4x4gb ram, gtx titan.
I read the asus-x99a manual and the recomendation there was 1,3,6,8. I also tried this but no success:(

Do you think I have damaged my rams or do I just need to reset or change bios?

Okay! Thanks!

My system is a: 5820k, 4x4gb ram, gtx titan.
I read the asus-x99a manual and the recomendation there was 1,3,6,8. I also tried this but no success:(

Do you think I have damaged my rams or do I just need to reset or change bios?

OK - I'm not sure if I understand the numbering system you are referring to. You have an ASUS X99-A, correct? In the user guide, they are not numbered 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. See below:
DDR2_a.png

First of all, I would not do your OSX install with all 4 DIMMS installed. Only install 2 as indicated by the illustration on the left below:
DDR2_b.png

Once you have your build completed successfully, then install the remaining DIMMS as illustrated on the right in the image above.

Have you gone to the ASUS Web site and gotten the latest UEFI BIOS and reflashed your motherboard? When I got my X99-Deluxe, there had been 2 newer versions of the UEFI released. There may even be a new BIOS released in the next couple weeks that will fix the problem with having to boot from USB key. Stay tuned...

I don't think you have damaged your memory - otherwise during POST, you would have received an error about your RAM.

Please - make sure you have followed the instructions EXACTLY as shown in the original post, including kernel patch on UniBeast, plus copying patched kernel over to your Mavericks install (if you even get that far) and of course adding the apci=0x2000 to your org.chameleon.boot.plist.

BTW, that is an EXTREMELY high-end video card you have. Did you also realize that special drivers are required for your card? Please check the Buyer's Guide > Alternate Graphics Card, and review the information at the top of the section, then follow the link.

With this system & a graphics card like that, what kind of power supply do you have and how many watts?

I have asus X99-A with 4x4GB modules - just follow the manual how to properly place the RAM modules. The manual is pretty clear with pictures, how to place them. I had no trouble to install it with all 4 modules. no memory problems so far. but I'm not sure if you need to bootup the installation with cpus=1 npci=0x200 - just before you boot the installation media hit any keyboard and you should be able to put special boot options on the command line

OK - I'm not sure if I understand the numbering system you are referring to. You have an ASUS X99-A, correct? In the user guide, they are not numbered 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. See below:
View attachment 109343

First of all, I would not do your OSX install with all 4 DIMMS installed. Only install 2 as indicated by the illustration on the left below:
View attachment 109344

Once you have your build completed successfully, then install the remaining DIMMS as illustrated on the right in the image above.

Have you gone to the ASUS Web site and gotten the latest UEFI BIOS and reflashed your motherboard? When I got my X99-Deluxe, there had been 2 newer versions of the UEFI released. There may even be a new BIOS released in the next couple weeks that will fix the problem with having to boot from USB key. Stay tuned...

I don't think you have damaged your memory - otherwise during POST, you would have received an error about your RAM.

Please - make sure you have followed the instructions EXACTLY as shown in the original post, including kernel patch on UniBeast, plus copying patched kernel over to your Mavericks install (if you even get that far) and of course adding the apci=0x2000 to your org.chameleon.boot.plist.

BTW, that is an EXTREMELY high-end video card you have. Did you also realize that special drivers are required for your card? Please check the Buyer's Guide > Alternate Graphics Card, and review the information at the top of the section, then follow the link.

With this system & a graphics card like that, what kind of power supply do you have and how many watts?

Thanks so much for this great reply!

I updated the bios and and the ram is working now. I had to reinsert them with equal ammount of pressure on both sides, I didnt do that perfectly last time because my gpu-fan is kind off in the way.

My system is working great on 3.1, but the nvidia driver thats in the alternate graphics card doesnt help my gpu-speed. So I tried to install 6.1, but now I've been stuck at the bluetooth driver for a long time.
Can't use the single mode command thats reccomended to delete graphics driver, so now I'm reversing mavericks with time machine.

I will try to delete the graphics kexts and then install: Mac pro 6.1 system definition again.
I've only been able to install the 6core voodo kext from Multibeast. Everything else has given me kernel panics.

The main reason why Im in need of a new system definition is the hope for full graphics acceleration.
My titan performs the same as my gtx 760 on Osx. In windows it's twice as fast.

Thanks,
Alex

Ps: My psu is a 760ax.

Ps: My psu is a 760ax.

Glad that you are having more success. Sometimes in higher performance systems, people purchase a power supply that is not as powerful as what you need. This situation can also cause problems...so I was trying to think of all possibilities.

If I were you, I would maybe consider a clean install at this point, now that you have your RAM firmly seated and installed properly. And this time, when you run MultiBeast, you might consider taking a look at my MB settings file that I posted a couple days ago (my MB settings v1.3). We have similar motherboards & both by ASUS, so suspect that your settings should be identical to mine. My system is running great right now... just a thought!

Good luck!!
--B

I had also problem with the stucked bluetooth but I cant remember but I think it was when I was experimenting with something. If unsure - DO NOT install in Multibeast anything else then FakeSMC (no fakesmcplugins etc.) - select only AppleIntelE1000.

I had also problem with the stucked bluetooth but I cant remember but I think it was when I was experimenting with something. If unsure - DO NOT install in Multibeast anything else then FakeSMC (no fakesmcplugins etc.) - select only AppleIntelE1000.

Does the ASUS on-board Bluetooth even work? My WiFi works right out of the box, but I just noticed that there is no "Bluetooth" option in System Preferences. Or are you looking at other BT options for your build?

Hey everyone - ASUS has just released updated UEFI BIOS for X99 series boards: ver. 1004

One of the many things it fixes is this whole business of having to always boot from your UniBeast USB key. You can now boot from your GUID partitioned OSX drive!!

X99-A: http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99A/HelpDesk_Download/
X99-PRO: http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99PRO/HelpDesk_Download/
X99-DELUXE: http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99DELUXE/HelpDesk_Download/

Not live yet for Rampage V Extreme, but here's the link - keep an eye out: http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_V_EXTREME/HelpDesk_Download/

ENJOY! And thanks to TonyMac for the update!!!

Hey everyone - ASUS has just released updated UEFI BIOS for X99 series boards: ver. 1004

One of the many things it fixes is this whole business of having to always boot from your UniBeast USB key. You can now boot from your GUID partitioned OSX drive!!

X99-A: http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99A/HelpDesk_Download/
X99-PRO: http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99PRO/HelpDesk_Download/
X99-DELUXE: http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99DELUXE/HelpDesk_Download/

Not live yet for Rampage V Extreme, but here's the link - keep an eye out: http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_V_EXTREME/HelpDesk_Download/

ENJOY! And thanks to TonyMac for the update!!!

Thats wonderful news!
Do you need chimera to boot then? And something Else?

thank you for your previous reply too. I will try that when i get home.

Cheers, Alex

Thats wonderful news!
Do you need chimera to boot then? And something Else?

thank you for your previous reply too. I will try that when i get home.

Cheers, Alex

Just do the build in the standard way using UniBeast & MultiBeast, and per the instructions at the beginning of this thread. I'm currently booting successfully from my SSD which is partitioned GUID and formatted Mac OS Extended Journaled. Once you have your working Mavericks, simply shut down, remove your UniBeast USB key, then boot as normal. I've been testing this for almost a week. pretty much all of my posts this past week (with shots of my GeekBench scores) are using this v1004 BIOS
:headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back