Contribute
Register

Haswell-E + X99 Motherboard Temporary Guide - OS X 10.9.4 / 10.9.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haswell-E + X99 Motherboard Temporary Guide - OS X 10.9.4

samtimbaud, fyi you don't need speedstep on for xpcm to work properly.
http://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2013/10/05/xnu-cpu-power-management/
We can now even disabled EIST, Turbo and the Cn states in the (UEFI) BIOS and XCPM will still work. A big change.

Also that entire post has a lot of useful information... There's a list of entirely new kernel flags for xpcm besides just -xpcm:

-xcpm
-xcpm_assert (sets machdep.asserts to 1)
-xcpm_assert_trace (sets machdep.asserts_traced to 1)
-xcpm_ignore_fv (ignores the frequency vectors)
-xcpm_ipi
idlehalt
cstates

Also a ton of information can be found using sysctl.

By the way, has anyone tried Pike's AppleIntelInfoto to see if it shows more information than intel power gadget?
Here is the github: https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/AppleIntelInfo
You can build it yourself pretty easily.
download the zip on the right side, then unzip it and navigate the the folder:
Code:
cd ~/Downloads/AppleIntelInfo-master
build it:
Code:
xcodebuild
navigate to the folder of the new kext:
Code:
cd build/Release
set permissions and ownership:
Code:
chmod -R 755 AppleIntelInfo.kext
Code:
sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleIntelInfo.kext
and load the kext:
Code:
sudo kextload AppleIntelInfo.kext

Then open Console.app, in the "All Messages" log search for aicpupmi.
You can also install it to /S/L/E if you wish, the difference is if you do that it will log to the console constantly.

Installation
1. Add VoodooTSCSync.kext (6 core or 8 core) in /Extra/Extensions on the UniBeast stick.

2. Patch the USB stick's native kernel in place. Type the following in Terminal:
Code:
sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x74\x11\x83\xF8\x3C|\x74\x11\x83\xF8\x3F|g' /Volumes/USB/mach_kernel
3. Install as described in UniBeast Guide

The patched kernel needs to be placed on the fresh installation immediately following install.

4. Reboot using UniBeast USB back to OS X Installer,
5. Open Utilities/Terminal
6. Copy /Volumes/USB/mach_kernel to your new /Volumes/Mavericks/ root as follows

Assuming your installation drive is called "Mavericks" enter the following code:
Code:
cp /mach_kernel /Volumes/Mavericks/

7. Reboot from UniBeast USB, and select Mavericks. Then complete setup procedure.

Hey Tony & Sam

Just a bit confused. Tony mentioned the kernal needs to be placed on the fresh installation immediately. Does that mean that it is from Step 6 of the UniBeast Guide ? Running co-currently with that step where you format your disk to MBR and partition it?

Apologies. Really new to this.

Hey Tony & Sam

Just a bit confused. Tony mentioned the kernal needs to be placed on the fresh installation immediately. Does that mean that it is from Step 6 of the UniBeast Guide ? Running co-currently with that step where you format your disk to MBR and partition it?

Apologies. Really new to this.
After the first part of the installation is finished, the OS won't boot without the patched kernel. So you need to boot into the installer again and use that command to copy the mach_kernel from the installer to the main hard drive. After that you can boot to your main hard drive and finish the setup. Also, don't format it to MBR. You need a GUID Partition Table.

Thanks Tony.

I assume it is using this guide

http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-dual-booting-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html

I suppose there is no problem for Windows 8.1 and Mavericks?

I currently have a functional dual boot. While partitioning a hard drive is possible, things become a lot easier when using separate drives. As far as I can tell, we still need the Unibeast drive in order to boot OS X off of Chimera. I have not had success with Clover yet. You should be able to install OS X as normal (apart from the kernel patching and VoodooTSCSync mentioned) and still be able to boot from an independent Windows 8.1 hard disk. I am currently using two separate drives for OS X and Windows 8.1 - just need to spam F12 on my Gigabyte board to select the boot drive I want.

After the first part of the installation is finished, the OS won't boot without the patched kernel. So you need to boot into the installer again and use that command to copy the mach_kernel from the installer to the main hard drive. After that you can boot to your main hard drive and finish the setup. Also, don't format it to MBR. You need a GUID Partition Table.
MBR was my only solution to boot correctly without Unibeast key, so...

If that worked for you then I guess it's worth a try but I would advise anyone else to try a gpt before trying that. I'm not sure why that worked for you, normally osx refuses to install to MBR unless you modify osinstall.pkg.

If that worked for you then I guess it's worth a try but I would advise anyone else to try a gpt before trying that. I'm not sure why that worked for you, normally osx refuses to install to MBR unless you modify osinstall.pkg.
I have a trick

once I did my installation on the primary disk (the one that does not start without usbkey), I start on it, I install CCC, then format an other SSD drive with a MBR partition, after i start CCC to clone my first installation ...

in fact, I make a transfer of a Guid partition to MBR partition.

Is that clear?

not really easy to explain between my english & Google trad.

Good idea! I didn't know CCC let you clone to MBR drives.

I have a trick

once I did my installation on the primary disk (the one that does not start without usbkey), I start on it, I install CCC, then format an other SSD drive with a MBR partition, after i start CCC to clone my first installation ...

in fact, I make a transfer of a Guid partition to MBR partition.

Is that clear?

not really easy to explain between my english & Google trad.

So do I format the SSD to MBR or GUID?

I currently have a functional dual boot. While partitioning a hard drive is possible, things become a lot easier when using separate drives. As far as I can tell, we still need the Unibeast drive in order to boot OS X off of Chimera. I have not had success with Clover yet. You should be able to install OS X as normal (apart from the kernel patching and VoodooTSCSync mentioned) and still be able to boot from an independent Windows 8.1 hard disk. I am currently using two separate drives for OS X and Windows 8.1 - just need to spam F12 on my Gigabyte board to select the boot drive I want.

Thanks for the advice.

So I assume that if I did this

SSD 1 > Mavericks
SSD 2 > Windows 8.1
HDD 3 > 4 TB HDD for backup

All I need to do is Spam F8 (in asus case) to go to boot menu and decide which I want to go for? That means I can install windows normally on one drive (without the mac one present) and decide which to choose from the boot menu in the BIOS later?

Also, for the hard drive with windows, did you run on SATA or UEFI when installing? I know UEFI is default but I understand for dual booting you need to run SATA.

Will I be able to see HDD3 and read/write it in both mac/windows? What file format does that have to run for read/write purposes?

Appreciate the help.

Question to all: Will the Asus Thunderboltex ii Dual work for the hackintosh side? And has anybody tried the Asus Rock Fatality X99 M (The Micro ATX) board (or will that be an entirely different architecture).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back