-Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3
-8GB Corsair Vengance
-Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB
-WD Blue 1TB 7200 Rpm
-FSP 750W Aurum Series Modular PSU
-LG 24x Super Multi SATA Internal Black
-EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti Super Over Clock Version

All packed up nicely in a Cooler Master Storm Scout 2
I picked the Gigabyte board because that what tonymacx recommends in his early adopters guide for Haswell. He also says that this motherboard doesn't require a DSDT?

(http://www.tonymacx86.com/358-early-adopter-s-guide-intel-s-haswell-cpus-8-series-motherboards.html)

What I'm really wondering is WILL THIS WORK? as in, install is the same like any other system.
It's my first Hackintosh but I want to future proof it due to a lack of consistent funds :(
(thus the Haswell)

Here's my parts list:

-Haswell i5 4750
-Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3
-8GB Corsair Vengance
-Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB
-WD Blue 1TB 7200 Rpm
-FSP 750W Aurum Series Modular PSU
-LG 24x Super Multi SATA Internal Black
-EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti Super Over Clock Version

All packed up nicely in a Cooler Master Storm Scout 2
I picked the Gigabyte board because that what tonymacx recommends in his early adopters guide for Haswell. He also says that this motherboard doesn't require a DSDT?

(http://www.tonymacx86.com/358-early-adopter-s-guide-intel-s-haswell-cpus-8-series-motherboards.html)

What I'm really wondering is WILL THIS WORK? as in, install is the same like any other system.
It's my first Hackintosh but I want to future proof it due to a lack of consistent funds :(
(thus the Haswell)

The i5 4750 is not in the buyers guide, any reason whey not to go with a supported CPU?
The PSP 750 does not work with Haswells C6/C7 power states - not sure what knock on effect this may have with anything else. Also 650w is more than enough for your build.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 has a good chance of working with OSX, because it is on the early adopters buying guide - bare in mind however that buying before seeing feed back from earlier adopters still carries an element of some risk.

Adrian B

The i5 4750 is not in the buyers guide, any reason whey not to go with a supported CPU?
The PSP 750 does not work with Haswells C6/C7 power states - not sure what knock on effect this may have with anything else. Also 650w is more than enough for your build.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 has a good chance of working with OSX, because it is on the early adopters buying guide - bare in mind however that buying before seeing feed back from earlier adopters still carries an element of some risk.

Adrian B

The i5 4750 is in the buyers guide. Also what PSU will work with the C6/C7 power states if I have them enabled.
If all else fails I can always leave them off.

And, will the install of OSX be the same? Like with sound and ethernet drivers?
Is there anything that I have missed?

There is currently no support in OS X for Haswell systems.

The feeling is that it will be supported in future releases, 10.8.5 and 10.9. When either will be released is anyones guess.

The i5 4750 is in the buyers guide. Also what PSU will work with the C6/C7 power states if I have them enabled.
If all else fails I can always leave them off.

And, will the install of OSX be the same? Like with sound and ethernet drivers?
Is there anything that I have missed?

Do you mean the i5-4570? It is listed in the buyers guide.

Regarding the PSU, I got my info from this UK site : http://www.scan.co.uk/products/750w...-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-120mm-quiet-fan-atx-v2

If the model that you are looking at is this one then it looks fine (AU 750M) : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104127

Adrian B

The feeling is that it will be supported in future releases, 10.8.5 and 10.9. When either will be released is anyones guess.

How come the new Macbook Air's run on Mountain Lion. Don't they have 4th gen processors?
I'm confused so sorry if that was a n00b question :crazy:

Apple are as always less than open about dates for software releases, especially specific dates around public releases of any of their operating systems. This tends to lead to much speculation. 10.8.5 could well be out in a week of two at the earliest, I would expect to see it available by mid August at the very latest. It doesn't make sense to keep 10.8.5 from public release for too long as it solves a screen issue with the new MacBook Air.

Mavericks will not be released until the fall - the official Apple release date, which is likely to be mid Sept through to mid Oct.

Adrian B

How come the new Macbook Air's run on Mountain Lion. Don't they have 4th gen processors?
I'm confused so sorry if that was a n00b question :crazy:

The MacBook Air is loaded in the factory with a different build version of Mountain Lion that incorporates the required Kernel for Haswell. The version of Mountain Lion that is downloadable from the Apple App Store supports CPU/board architecture up to and including Ivy Bridge. It does not have support available for Haswell.

The only way to get this at present is to sign up as a Developer and pay $100 to Apple to allow you access to the supported versions. These developers are able to fault find and check out how the software runs and allow bugs to be largely ironed out before public release.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/07/17/apple-seeds-os-x-mountain-lion-10-8-5-beta-build-12f23-to-developers/

Adrian B

Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

So, wait for Mavericks to be released?
I think I will just load Windows on for now as I was planning to dual-boot anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back