Contribute
Register

Hackintosh Samsung 480, 580 & 780 and KEXT's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another wireless workaround:

The Asus N10 USB wireless stick is a tiny little thingy you hardly notice when plugged in, and the included ASUS drivers for OS X 10.5 work in 10.6 - but only in 32 bit mode (boot with param arch=i386 ). It's also quite cheap, less than 20 US$.

Since GPGMail also needs 32 bit mode the 32 bit limit is no issue for me now. (What, you're not using encryption for your emails???? ;) )

Elch said:
Another wireless workaround:

The Asus N10 USB wireless stick is a tiny little thingy you hardly notice when plugged in, and the included ASUS drivers for OS X 10.5 work in 10.6 - but only in 32 bit mode (boot with param arch=i386 ). It's also quite cheap, less than 20 US$.

Since GPGMail also needs 32 bit mode the 32 bit limit is no issue for me now. (What, you're not using encryption for your emails???? ;) )

Addition:

I haven't tested the wireless N performance of that Asus N10 but in wireless G its absolutely OK, it even beats the much bigger D-Link RT73.

Due to its minuscule size it is indeed an acceptable workaround for now (in 32 bit).

Elch... Dell is just about $10.... and works in 32/64.... and that dell is N card ;)

Elch said:
Easy workaround: There is a free software called Dimmer which works fine to adjust brightness. It supports presets, so it's actually quite useful to adjust to different location quickly.

Software like that only dims the display, so the lcd brithness dosn't change, so time on battery dosn't increses. You know what im mean... that is stupid...

Cichacz said:
I can't get brightness control working (even in SysPrefs->Displays->Colors->Calibrate there is no switcher).
Also sleep isn't working. It goes to sleep, but i can't wake it.
Ethernet too, but that isn't so important.

Have you found any workarounds?

Thanks for help.

Maybe somone could check if brightness works on nvenabler?
I'm not experienced in osx86 (only 3 years of using it) so I cant help much with ethernet or sleep.

narandill said:
Elch... Dell is just about $10.... and works in 32/64.... and that dell is N card ;)

Yeah, it IS the better solution, it's just that on my side of the globe Dell does not sell to the public, the Dell resellers don't give any spare parts or support, Dell support only services the registered owners of Dell notebooks, PayPal did not let you open accounts until recently, a shipment from the US or Europe might take weeks, and then that ASUS EZ N10 was smiling at me at the shop in the IT center with its sticker "Works on OS X 10.6" and I could buy it immediately and even had enough cash in my wallet :D

Heck, they don't even sell 17 inch notebooks here, just the 13 - 15.6 inch models, my RF710 was bought in Europe and handcarried to me by a friend when he came here on vacation. Even in the Apple shops (yes, they are here already!) the 17inch models are not on display, you can order them, delivery later.... but it's quite nice here, warm weather all year :D

narandill said:
Elch said:
Easy workaround: There is a free software called Dimmer which works fine to adjust brightness. It supports presets, so it's actually quite useful to adjust to different location quickly.

Software like that only dims the display, so the lcd brithness dosn't change, so time on battery dosn't increses. You know what im mean... that is stupid...

Agreed, it's not the real fix, but just a workaround. The display of these Samsung notebooks is brilliant (although glossy) and when working at night in a darker room this dimming helps to make the display more easy on the eyes.

narandill said:
Maybe somone could check if brightness works on nvenabler?
I'm not experienced in osx86 (only 3 years of using it) so I cant help much with ethernet or sleep.

So far all reports here said it's not working on the Samsung notebooks. But once again, may be that's just a small change somewhere ... I'm happy to test any possible solution but I need hints too - 3 months ago I didn't even know what a kext is :eek: however coming from Linux I learn fast ;)

Cichacz... wbrew pozorom w moim R590 jest zupełnie inna karta wifi niż w R580. Ale wymiana na dell pomogła. Myślę, że reszta nie ma problemów z kartą AR9285, ale dzięki za wsparcie!

Cichacz... in my R590 is completely different wifi card than the R580. But the replacement of the dell has helped. I think the rest has no problems with the AR9285 card, but thanks for your support!

narandill said:
Elch said:

I am not sure that this is right. I think it makes no difference if the backround LEDs are dimmed directly or if you darken the display by overlaying a transparent grey rectangle (which is the technique Dimmer uses afaik). As long as the showed image is less bright, the backgroung LEDs are dimmed and consume less power...

Please correct me if I am wrong

Jörg

@narandill and others

May someone show up the difference between the Dell DW 1510 and 1520? Is it also supported and recognized as Airport OOTB? It seems at first glance that the 1520 makes 300MB/s at N standards so I tend to go for this buy.

Anyone ? TIA!

Edit:
Update. Just googled some more and it seems that 1520 is not supported OOTB

Hey fellow Samsung R fans. I have to bring this up again.

I managed to get my R780 Hero up and running except sleep, which is next on the list.

However I experience a drastic KP here and there when I switch the Kernel to 64bit and I dont understand why because I did the same you all did. Updated to 10.6.4 because the 10.6.5 download is still messed up at 203mb on Apple´s Server and put in the tweak with VooodooHda 2.7.2.

Sometimes it boots normally and sometimes it boots with KP. Can I figure out what does mess with it?

Also why does the Numpad not work? Did I miss something?

And how can edit the system information to show up as a Macpro with I5 instead the Macpro Xeon Dualcore?

It would be awesome to get brightness working 8)

TIA

I replaced the stock wireless card in my rf510 with the dell 1510 and it "just works". Very nice, and as a bonus, I didn't have to load a different driver in windows either.

I did however lose the bluetooth as it was built into the original wireless card, but I don't use bluetooth currently, so it's a non-issue for me.

USB3 works after the 10.6.5 update and multibeast install.

I don't have any of the following working at this time:

-battery life indicator
-screen brightness
-wired lan connection

sir joe said:
Yeah iBoot loads up and then there is the iBoot icon, a harddrive icon, and 3 other random icons. Then I switch to the Snow Leopard cd and try to load it but it fails.

Hay there playboy, I have the same Samsung R580 and had the same problem until I successfully used chameleon to get to the install screen and I believe iBoot will also allow you to enter these options. type "-v cpus=1 busratio=17" without the quotes and that bus ratio is if you have the 430m @2.27ghz. And change the SATA in your BIOS from auto to ACHI. But when I get to the install screen it won't let me format my drive to Journaled so that I may install Leopard I noticed you said something about the drive being partitioned, and that might be a problem. I was under the impression that I had to partition my drive and format it to FAT32 in order for leopard to recognize it. Any feedback from you about this would be great I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. Maybe we can bounce some ideas back and forth.

Attachments

• Bios Mod.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 80
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back