Graphics
hd5500 Geforce 940M
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Installing Yosemite on this Laptop utilizing following guides (not completely through all steps):

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...hd-graphics-5500-os-x-yosemite-10-10-3-a.html

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...top-dell-inspiron-15-3000-series-success.html

Tried different boot arguments and always the same.. Run into trouble at 3/4's of installer loaded... Kernel Panic Called:
"panic(cpu 2 caller0xffffff7f9d1b105c): assertmsg@/SourceCache/GPUDriversIntel/GPUDriversIntel-10.6.20/Common/IONDRV/Intel/BDW/AppleIntelFramebuffer/Appl...................."

Tried to change settings in (extremely limited) Bios between
Intel Virtualization on/off
Legacy and UEFI With CSM Sub Modes on/off

Booting from 8gb USB thumb drive prepared using Terminal "sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app....." and Clover v2.3k r3215 Installer EFI Preparations.

I'm not sure if this is an issue with my DVMT settings reading at 0 in Windows (I checked) so I don't want to BIOS Mod until every other option is depleted. I tried to modify the AppleIntelFrameBuffer kext with the 39CF763C and 39CF773C swap, then I placed it in the Clover EFI partion Kext/Other Folder, but that did not help... I am not sure if that over rules the installer's/soon-to-be-HD Framebuffer kext....

Help Please.

Installing Yosemite on this Laptop utilizing following guides (not completely through all steps):

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...hd-graphics-5500-os-x-yosemite-10-10-3-a.html

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...top-dell-inspiron-15-3000-series-success.html

Tried different boot arguments and always the same.. Run into trouble at 3/4's of installer loaded... Kernel Panic Called:
"panic(cpu 2 caller0xffffff7f9d1b105c): assertmsg@/SourceCache/GPUDriversIntel/GPUDriversIntel-10.6.20/Common/IONDRV/Intel/BDW/AppleIntelFramebuffer/Appl...................."

Tried to change settings in (extremely limited) Bios between
Intel Virtualization on/off
Legacy and UEFI With CSM Sub Modes on/off

Booting from 8gb USB thumb drive prepared using Terminal "sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app....." and Clover v2.3k r3215 Installer EFI Preparations.

I'm not sure if this is an issue with my DVMT settings reading at 0 in Windows (I checked) so I don't want to BIOS Mod until every other option is depleted. I tried to modify the AppleIntelFrameBuffer kext with the 39CF763C and 39CF773C swap, then I placed it in the Clover EFI partion Kext/Other Folder, but that did not help... I am not sure if that over rules the installer's/soon-to-be-HD Framebuffer kext....

Help Please.

You need to change DVMT-prealloc setting.

Don't use the patch. It is a bad idea.

Thank you,

Btw, is this specifically a Broadwell issue, or does it relate to all architectures running Yosemite?

Thank you,

Btw, is this specifically a Broadwell issue, or does it relate to all architectures running Yosemite?

Somewhat specific to Broadwell.

Other architectures are picky about DVMT-prealloc, but the framebuffer can be easily patched to accommodate the BIOS setting. So far, no such patch has been developed for Broadwell (the Broadwell kext seems to calculate the required value).

For example, UHD on Haswell requires DVMT-prealloc at 128mb and matching framebuffer patch. QHD+ requires 96mb and matching patch.

In either architecture, laptop BIOS options are limited, so you need unlocked BIOS or setting it via UEFI shell.

You say UEFI shell, is that an option for me? I am not wanting to chance a Flash if I can help it.

Ahh, I misread the guide because I thought they had found a way to bypass the security check. Didn't realize the point of UEFI shell was approaching from a lower level. Still concerned about touching the BIOS because of past issues.

Is it possible to Allocate the DVMT utilizing Clover/Chimera/Chameleons CPU Tuning Menus. Possible to mod them?

Ahh, I misread the guide because I thought they had found a way to bypass the security check. Didn't realize the point of UEFI shell was approaching from a lower level. Still concerned about touching the BIOS because of past issues.

Yes, flashing a patched BIOS always poses great risk.

So does setting options not provided for by the OEM using the UEFI shell. But probably not as risky as a patched BIOS.

Is it possible to Allocate the DVMT utilizing Clover/Chimera/Chameleons CPU Tuning Menus. Possible to mod them?

No.

Hey NoLow, RehabMan,
EDIT: I will post / ask my queries in thread titled "Broadwell" -- I understand now that my machine has 5500U processor of Broadwell series-- and OSX 10.10.3 is the one which has correct support for broadwell.

---
@NoLow:
Any success ?
Even I am trying to install MacOS X Yosemite on a Dell 3543 with core i7-- and no success-- so your success will be inspiring for me.

@RehabMan:
Will it be easier to install MacOS X Mavericks instead of Yosemite on Dell 3543 ?
Any other MacOS which runs XCode that I can install-- and avoid the patching ?

Regards,

Nalin

@RehabMan:
Will it be easier to install MacOS X Mavericks instead of Yosemite on Dell 3543 ?
Any other MacOS which runs XCode that I can install-- and avoid the patching ?

First support for Broadwell arrived in 10.10.3. No support in earlier versions of OS X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back