CPU
i7
Graphics
Chipset Moterboard
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
The Gigabyte Z270MX-Gaming 5 only has a Thunderbolt header and still requires a separate Thunderbolt 3 add-in card to support Thunderbolt 3. The board does not have an Intel Thunderbolt chip and so its USB-C port does not support Thunderbolt 3.

The ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac. on the other hand, does support Thunderbolt 3 onboard.
Ok so for my request, i need the ASRock ?
If i buy a adapter USB C to Thunderbolt, it will working ?

Jamesbond007

Motherboard
Z390 Designare
CPU
i7 9700KF
Graphics
RX 580 Pulse Lite
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
If i resume, on the ASRock i have the thunderbolt header,
So i can add a Thunderbolt PCI Card like this https://www.asrock.com/mb/spec/product.asp?Model=Thunderbolt 3 AIC
And connect my DP -> Firewire adapter for my device, and have the possibility to use the thunderbolt port for other things ?

No, the ASRock board you mentioned does NOT have a Thunderbolt header, but it has an Intel Thunderbolt chip onboard, and the USB-C port at the back of the board supports Thunderbolt 3 devices. No Thunderbolt 3 add-in card required, nor can any be connected.

The Gigabyte board, on the other hand, does NOT support Thunderbolt 3 onboard. But you can have Thunderbolt by connecting a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card like the Gigabyte GC Alpine Ridge to the Thunderbolt header on the board.

Motherboard
GA-Z270X-UD5
CPU
i7
Graphics
Chipset Moterboard
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Thanks for the details Jamesbonnd 007 !
So, for now i need only thunderbolt 2 with adapter firewire, with an card like Gigaby GC-Alpine Ridge, to connect any thunderbolt device ?

Do you know if i need to do something else on Clover for this PCI card ?

Thanks again :)

Jamesbond007

Motherboard
Z390 Designare
CPU
i7 9700KF
Graphics
RX 580 Pulse Lite
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks for the details Jamesbonnd 007 !
So, for now i need only thunderbolt 2 with adapter firewire, with an card like Gigaby GC-Alpine Ridge, to connect any thunderbolt device ?

Do you know if i need to do something else on Clover for this PCI card ?

Thanks again :)

Tell me first : which motherboard do you plan to get (or have already gotten)?

Motherboard
GA-Z270X-UD5
CPU
i7
Graphics
Chipset Moterboard
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I would buy Gigabyte Z270MX-Gaming 5.
So i resume my need :
- Hackintosh with El Capitan so on Skylake with this motherboard and an Intel i7-6700K (or more if it's possible)
- Use my firewire audio interface, with the displayport port on the Gigabyte Alpine with my adpater Apple DisplayPort (or TB2) -> Firewire
- Use Thunderbolt 3 for the future, maybe device with thunderbolt 2 so i need the adapter TB3 -> TB2

Jamesbond007

Motherboard
Z390 Designare
CPU
i7 9700KF
Graphics
RX 580 Pulse Lite
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I would buy Gigabyte Z270MX-Gaming 5.
So i resume my need :
- Hackintosh with El Capitan so on Skylake with this motherboard and an Intel i7-6700K (or more if it's possible)
- Use my firewire audio interface, with the displayport port on the Gigabyte Alpine with my adpater Apple DisplayPort (or TB2) -> Firewire
- Use Thunderbolt 3 for the future, maybe device with thunderbolt 2 so i need the adapter TB3 -> TB2

In that case, you will need to purchase in addition a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card like the Gigabyte GC Alpine Ridge, install the card into a PCIe slot and connect the card to the motherboard through the Thunderbolt header.

I suppose you will be using the CPU integrated graphics?

Motherboard
GA-Z270X-UD5
CPU
i7
Graphics
Chipset Moterboard
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
In that case, you will need to purchase in addition a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card like the Gigabyte GC Alpine Ridge, install the card into a PCIe slot and connect the card to the motherboard through the Thunderbolt header.

Yes just CPU integrated graphics, i don't need a graphic card

Motherboard
GA-Z270X-UD5
CPU
i7
Graphics
Chipset Moterboard
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android

I made a mistake ! The Gigabyte Z270MX-Gaming 5 are a mATX (Micro ATX) motherboard, and i need a mini-itx ...

BUT the ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac are mini-itx, and have thunderbolt 3 on board.
To my need to connect my firewire interface, can i buy the AS Rock Thunderbolt 3 AIC and connect to the MiniDP my firewire adapter ?

Thanks again !
:)

Last edited: