Contribute
Register

Hackintosh CPU cores max out, computer crashes and reboots

If you (somehow) erase the USB then :
- format the USB using Disk Utility
- run createinstallmedia to "transfer" the installer to the USB
- look for this icon on the desktop :
View attachment 572460

- in the "Install macOS Ventura" folder you may optionally put a mounter utility !
- mount the EFI partition of the USB stick
- copy your custom EFI folder to the EFI partition of the USB stick.
- boot the system with the USB stick

You may use a USB 2.0 stick in a USB 2.0 port.
Never forget to reset Nvram :)
Re-check the BIOS settings.

Cheers.
followed that. I booted from the drive 'install macOS ventura' when the options came up - but 25 mins later and I still have the apple and the progress bar just over ½ way completed. is that what you'd expect?

When I reviewed the BIOS, as per your previous message, I didn't have to change anything so don't think its BIOS related.

No you shouldn't need to edit the OC EFI I provided, other than adding the Serial number, MLB, ROM and SystemUUID entries as instructed. Do not start messing with the EFI contents.

When you get to the Installation wizard screen, do you open Disk Utility and format/Erase your macOS drive as APFS? Or are you letting the installation process deal with formatting the drive you are installing Ventura on to?

If you format your macOS drive as APFS (so you are starting a clean installation) the 1st stage of the installation process should only take about 5 minutes on a CFL system. It should then reboot the system with a new 'Install macOS' icon available on the OC boot screen, which when selected will continue the installation process. The 2nd & 3rd stages take a bit longer, usually 20 & 10 minutes respectively depending on your system, before you are looking at the final part of the install where you create the user account etc.

No you shouldn't need to edit the OC EFI I provided, other than adding the Serial number, MLB, ROM and SystemUUID entries as instructed. Do not start messing with the EFI contents.

When you get to the Installation wizard screen, do you open Disk Utility and format/Erase your macOS drive as APFS? Or are you letting the installation process deal with formatting the drive you are installing Ventura on to?

If you format your macOS drive as APFS (so you are starting a clean installation) the 1st stage of the installation process should only take about 5 minutes on a CFL system. It should then reboot the system with a new 'Install macOS' icon available on the OC boot screen, which when selected will continue the installation process. The 2nd & 3rd stages take a bit longer, usually 20 & 10 minutes respectively depending on your system, before you are looking at the final part of the install where you create the user account etc.
Good afternoon Edhawk

Apologies for the radio silence - been away on work.

So I am back up and running on the old spec - the issue was I had changed the bios and was booting from the wrong drive.

I don't want to do a new install of MAC OS - I just want to boot from your new EFI that you did for me. Can I check the next steps please?

1. Place the EFI files you sent into the EFI partition of a bootable (do I need to make it bootable?) USB drive
2. Place the USB drive into the hackintosh, and then changing the BIOS to boot from this
3. When the drive selection screen appears - select my current Ventura drive

So, as I understand it, I will be using your new EFI to configure the opencore whilst running the OS from my existing install. I can then use this to test everything works OK. And also run MS Teams to see if the crash issue has gone.

When I am happy I then (having taken backups) mount the EFI partition on my Ventura drive and overwrite my existing EFI files with the ones from you.

Is this correct?

Yes, that is correct.

Before copying the EFI folder to the USB pen drive, just Erase the drive in Disk Utility and format it as HFS+ with GUID partition map. The EFI folder will be bootable like that.

You can press the F8 key when the Asus splash screen shows, which will bring up the Bios boot menu. So you can select the USB drive without altering your bios settings.

Yes, that is correct.

Before copying the EFI folder to the USB pen drive, just Erase the drive in Disk Utility and format it as HFS+ with GUID partition map. The EFI folder will be bootable like that.

You can press the F8 key when the Asus splash screen shows, which will bring up the Bios boot menu. So you can select the USB drive without altering your bios settings.
Thanks Edhawk

I made the USB, elected the USB to boot from (F8 is a great tip thanks) but then I get a OC : Configuration requires a vault but no vault provided message - and the computer freezes on this message.

Have a missed a step?

Thanks for any thoughts

No, you haven’t missed anything. I probably forgot to change the Vault quirk from ‘Secure’ to ‘Optional’ in the config.plist.

No, you haven’t missed anything. I probably forgot to change the Vault quirk from ‘Secure’ to ‘Optional’ in the config.plist.

I will change this and have another try - I'll let you know - thanks

Edhawk

Changes to plist made and booted from the USB successfully - ran teams for 5 hours yesterday and NO CRASHING!

Everything seems to work OK - handoff to iPhone, sleep, USBs etc.

Thank you so much for your help. I will give it a few more days and then place the EFI folder into the EFI partition of my hard drive so I don't need the USB stick. At this point I will remove the verbose setting for the boot sequence.

Thanks again - fixing this was beyond me!

Back