Contribute
Register

HackinDROM App testing (not website)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried the HackinDROM upgrade method for the latest release of OpenCore and ran into a couple of snags. On my first attempt, I believe I ran out of space on my EFI partition - because when HackinDROM finished, I didn't have any EFI folder, and the OLD_EFI.ZIP couldn't be unzipped (it looked like it was truncated).

I restored my original EFI from a backup, cleaned the partition up significantly (removing old versions of Clover and OpenCore I had around for reference), and re-ran the HackinDROM upgrade process and it worked as expected.

However, when I rebooted, I didn't see an OpenCanopy option to boot into Windows. The new EFI folder created by HackinDROM didn't have the "Microsoft" folder from the old EFI, which I guess is needed in my case. I copied it over, rebooted, and have the boot option now for Windows.

Thought I'd post my experience, in case it's useful to someone else!
Hello @oopsmybad,
Thanks for your feedback
Please create a Report Archive and post the zip file, ill analyze it to improve the app!

@Inqnuam,

It would be nice to know how many times a particular EFI folder was downloaded through the app. Do you have a download counter on the back end? If so, it might be useful to add this to the admin page of the app. Then we can determine if there is high interest or low interest in any particular EFI.

For example, if OC 0.6.4 (or any other older version) is not being downloaded any more, I can make the decision to remove it.

@Inqnuam,

It would be nice to know how many times a particular EFI folder was downloaded through the app. Do you have a download counter on the back end? If so, it might be useful to add this to the admin page of the app. Then we can determine if there is high interest or low interest in any particular EFI.

For example, if OC 0.6.4 (or any other older version) is not being downloaded any more, I can make the decision to remove it.
Everything is already designed and ready to make statistics about EFI as you ask.
But for the moment it is not in work so theres no data
I'll activate it in next update

Tried to open the HackinDROM application as @CaseySJ described earlier this week here:

After I click "Open anyway" in Preferences > Security and Privacy, I get this window:

View attachment 514824

I click "Open" but nothing happens - the app icon doesn't appear in the menu bar. I tried re-downloading and launching again, but got the same results.

Thoughts? Do I need to grant it Full Disk Access perhaps?

I'm on Big Sur 11.2.3.
Hello @bobmeister,
Thanks for your feedback!
Could you please open Terminal enter
Code:
diskutil list -plist > Documents/alldisks.plist
then post the generated alldisks.plist file in your Documents folder?

Hey @Inqnuam Great progress so far! I really like it. Thanks :headbang:

I went through the app and find some very minor cosmetic things. Not so important perhaps, but they came to my attention:

1. The icon in the menu bar. It's light-grey which gets darker when you click on it. Perhaps you can do this the other way around because it doesn't fit with the other icons/apps that are running:

2021-04-11_09-42-33.png

2a. When I make a (new) EFI, I'm sometimes using the Select Folder option which is very useful. When it created the EFI, it says in the notification center that it's installed, but it's actually downloaded/configured. I'm not sure how flexible you are for the alert to become more specific?;

2b. And the version number seems to be missing a point:
2021-04-11_09-39-17.png

3. Is there a reason the EFI icon is red when it's mounted? Ususally red means something is wrong. I could imagine that it's red when it deserves to be updated and green when it's up to date. In this case however, it is up to date and still red:

2021-04-11_09-44-01.png

4. The buttons on the right side are always red. My suggestion would be to use the iOS/MacOS colour scheme:

2021-04-11_10-02-14.png

:thumbup: Cheers

Last edited:
Hello @joostiphone, and thank you for the feedback
1. The icon in the menu bar. It's light-grey which gets darker when you click on it. Perhaps you can do this the other way around because it doesn't fit with the other icons/apps that are running:
The reason of the light style icon when apps window isn't opened is because I hate to see so many app icons in the status bar, but I can change it normal style, lets see other users point of vue on that design
2a. When I make a (new) EFI, I'm sometimes using the Select Folder option which is very useful. When it created the EFI, it says in the notification center that it's installed, but it's actually downloaded/configured. I'm not sure how flexible you are for the alert to become more specific?;

2b. And the version number seems to be missing a point:
Yes this is a bug ill fix it
3. Is there a reason the EFI icon is red when it's mounted? Ususally red means something is wrong. I could imagine that it's red when it deserves to be updated and green when it's up to date. In this case however, it is up to date and still red:
Initially it was green (it is style green when macOS is in dark style) but green wasn't perfect with grey background so I changed it to something more visible
the color of the disk doesn't have meaning about OpenCore update status, it is only to show that EFI is mounted
but you got a good idea I can give him a color depending OC status
4. The buttons on the right side are always red. My suggestion would be to use the iOS/MacOS colour scheme:
I wanted something different from other buttons that is the reason of this particular gradient color
but will definitely try your color schema, will be nice to make it look like switch buttons green/grey color like during the update process

Just uploaded v1.2.3

• Cleaned the code
  • Reduced Analyzing time while updating
  • Better algorithms for OC required space calculation
  • New Custom Backup Folder
  • Fixed OC version in Notifications, added custom Notifications depending on selected folder/ drive
  • Assigned random serial Number for Time Machines EFI names
  • Minor but important fixes

Hello @bobmeister,
Could you please open Terminal enter
Code:
diskutil list -plist > Documents/alldisks.plist
then post the generated alldisks.plist file in your Documents folder?

OK. I did that, and the generated file was automatically saved to my Documents folder. I then downloaded the new version of the app, tried to open it, and got the same results as before ("Open Anyway" had no effect).

OK. I did that, and the generated file was automatically saved to my Documents folder. I then downloaded the new version of the app, tried to open it, and got the same results as before ("Open Anyway" had no effect).
Please upload here the generated alldisks.plist file so I can try to analyze the issue and fix it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back