Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi guys!
Hope all are well!

I've been dealing with various macs and hacks for about 7.5 years now.
Have seen some very interesting stuff, but this only twice now.

A hack boots to a black screen, with no dock. desktop icons take a long time to load.
After loading, a right click brings up this screen
70210747059__C05F1C7.jpeg

you can do cmd+n to bring up a finder window and go to, say, applications. but icons dont come up - its super slow and laggy to load em up, maybe 3 icons a minute.
spotlight comes up, but it has squares for icons.
id like to say its graphics related but I have no clue

wallpaper missing, dock missing, and basically cant do anything

boot from another drive, all good.

I tried reinstalling mac over it, and I got the "storage system verify or repair failed -69716" error
IMG_0417.jpeg

Then I tried adding a new volume to that same container, and installing to that volume. same issue.

Finally, I erased that container and installed from scratch. and it was resolved.

I've seen this issue twice, actually, 3 times before.

The 1st, same as above, and then a few months after, it happened again, and at this point, I put a new SSD and it was all good.
The 2nd, after the reinstall, it has been good since.
The 3rd, just happened today.

My first inclination was some kind of virus, but "macs don't get viruses"

I couldn't imagine what it was or wasn't. What could suddenly lead to drive corruption like that?

in the case of the 3rd, she said she just added a displayport extension cable, and after rebooting this occurred. I had her remove the cable but this persisted. if it was the extension, it should have been gone with a restart.

and an extension cable, although they can suck and have issues, wouldnt corrupt a drive.

there was no new software installed, though there was an eqmac2 installed 'recently' but it had been functioning fine for 4 days.

anyone seen something like this before?
black screen, really slow and laggy, no dock.

I'm inclined to say virus but, I can't confidently say that. the 1st time in fact, he said he was using it as a render machine and barely took it online. though that one could have reasonably been a bad drive. who knows. i wonder if this tends to happen with samsung drives.....hm. still however, this is a 980 pro, not the 970s that are known to have issues.

any thoughts guys?

Thanks in advance
Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back