Contribute
Register

[Guide] Z97MX-Gaming 5 | i7 4790K | GTX 970 G1 | OS X 10.11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you had any problems with using the iMac 14,1 definition? I thought Toleda recommended 14,2 if using something other than onboard graphics. I know you added the graphics card after the initial install, did you change to 14,2 or leave it at 14,1?

EDIT - Page 1 says 14,2. Either I read it wrong, or it was changed. Either way, it seems 14,2 is the way to go.

So I followed this great guide and (so far) have a very stable and fully functioning system. I have a slightly different motherboard, the Z97X-SOC, but the only thing that deviated from this guide was that it has different ethernet and so needed AppleIntelE1000e.kext for that.

I did have problems with sound vanishing after sleep. Used this method to fix that. Note that it has to be installed in S/L/E, I tried putting it in EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.11 to no avail.

The only oddity I've noticed is that my case fans are off by 1. Case fan 2 on the motherboard shows up as 1 in HWMonitor, and 3 shows up as 2. But they seem to be working appropriately, so no real issue there. May be a flaw in HWMonitor for all I know.

Using BIOS F7 and CPU states all seem to be working OOB, didn't touch any DDST or anything.

My prior Hackintosh experience was with laptops. This is smooth sailing by comparison. Great guide, very happy camper. Will edit post with link to my build later.

Sound works perfectly fine when I boot my computer. But once it wakes from sleep the sound is gone, and so is the input/output choices for sound in System Preferences. I have AppleHDAReset installed and running of course, but it doesn't work for me. If I choose to reset AppleHDA when sound is working the audio also breaks :/
See my post above, should hopefully solve your sound issue. If not, refer to this thread and try the various solutions. Cheers and good luck.

The only oddity I've noticed is that my case fans are off by 1. Case fan 2 on the motherboards shows up as 1 in HWMonitor, and 3 shows up as 2. But they seem to be working appropriately, so no real issue there. May be a flaw in HWMonitor for all I know.

It may be that the mobo is telling it a different order of fans, if that makes sense? For me CPU header = Fan 1, CPU_OPT (liquid cooler) header = Fan 2, and then case fan headers 1 and 2 show up 3 and 4.

My system is running well for the most part but I have noticed an issue when waking the machine from sleep. After a few sleep cycles, the machine will restart when it wakes and the crash report shows error like this:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff800041e80a): Kernel trap at 0xffffff8000734379, type 14=page fault, registers:

The cpu # is different all the time.

Has anyone experienced this issue?

See my post above, should hopefully solve your sound issue. If not, refer to this thread and try the various solutions. Cheers and good luck.

Late reply, but I think this solved the problem. Thanks :)

I just installed the kext provided in your link, but it didn't work with kextbeast for some reason, so I had to do it manually.

While it seems to work perfectly every time I wake the computer from sleep, I have experienced a few times where OSX will open up a popup where it complains about the kext not being usable or installed correctly. Next time it happens I'll try to take a screenshot :)

Did you guys set darkwake=8 when using Codec Commander? Also I have noticed that my computer crashes when it wakes up from sleep after 2 or 3 sleep cycles. Have you guys experienced this problem too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back