Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] USB flash drive installation optional dual boot Win7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: USB flash drive based installation (optional dual boot Win7)

It's difficult with an iPhone... I cannot boot on it.
My iPhone have his partition in MBR, with a HFS+ parition, bootable etc
Under my BIOS, on the Boot menu of my ASUS p5k, I can specify "> Boot Devices Priority" and select cd, hdd, usb etc. But I notice under this line "> Boot Devices Priority", I've "> Removable drive" and can select my floppy or my usb (iphone).
"> Boot Devices Priority" -> cd, usb, hdd...
"> Removable drive" ->usb floppy

I've try to launch a ubuntu live usb, to be sure I can boot on usb. So I use unetbootin, and it works fine, after changing something to my BIOS.
This time under "> Boot Devices Priority", instead of "> Removable drive" it was like this
"> Boot Devices Priority" -> ...
"> Hard drives" -> usb and my hdd

What is it different ? My iphone and usb stick (4g) are both in MBR...

Does my bios are difficulties to read hfs + ?
I'm confuse and I think this is the heart of my problem... (or not)...

Re: USB flash drive based installation (optional dual boot Win7)

MoOx said:
It's difficult with an iPhone... I cannot boot on it.
My iPhone have his partition in MBR, with a HFS+ parition, bootable etc
Under my BIOS, on the Boot menu of my ASUS p5k, I can specify "> Boot Devices Priority" and select cd, hdd, usb etc. But I notice under this line "> Boot Devices Priority", I've "> Removable drive" and can select my floppy or my usb (iphone).
"> Boot Devices Priority" -> cd, usb, hdd...
"> Removable drive" ->usb floppy

I've try to launch a ubuntu live usb, to be sure I can boot on usb. So I use unetbootin, and it works fine, after changing something to my BIOS.
This time under "> Boot Devices Priority", instead of "> Removable drive" it was like this
"> Boot Devices Priority" -> ...
"> Hard drives" -> usb and my hdd

What is it different ? My iphone and usb stick (4g) are both in MBR...

Does my bios are difficulties to read hfs + ?
I'm confuse and I think this is the heart of my problem... (or not)...

For Chamelion it should not matter if you use MBR or GPT. I just verified that myself just now. One thing to pay attention to is if you use MBR you would put everything on the first partition while with GPT everything goes on the second partition. The first partition is a hidden EFI partition. I really do not know how relevant it is that you are using an IPhone, but could you not test it out formating your Linux USB stick instead? You could always put the Live image back afterwards (although it is a good idea to keep a bootable OS X stick around just in case). While testing things out, you can skip copying the Snow Leopard DVD onto the stick and just see if the Chameleon boot loader even comes up on it's own. Also in my BIOS, USB-Floppy never worked. I had to choose USB-HDD, but that may be different for you.

My USB is only 4G, and SL need 8G right ?
That why I'm using my iPhone with a 8G partition... I've use a "USB Drive" app which have make a partition on my iPhone, but I think it's not in the first partition (because of the iPhone OS maybe).
I'll try to use unetbootin to make a live ubuntu on my iPhone to try if this work. If it's not, I will buy a 8G USB.... Or a DVD drive... :(

MoOx said:
My USB is only 4G, and SL need 8G right ?
That why I'm using my iPhone with a 8G partition... I've use a "USB Drive" app which have make a partition on my iPhone, but I think it's not in the first partition (because of the iPhone OS maybe).
I'll try to use unetbootin to make a live ubuntu on my iPhone to try if this work. If it's not, I will buy a 8G USB.... Or a DVD drive... :(

You could try making your USB stick bootable, but put SL on the iPhone. Then boot form the stick while also having the iPhone attached. Then you can boot form the stick and start the installer from the iPhone

My iPhone parition is not recognized by iBoot...
I've try to make a custom install and removing useless fonts/packages, but 4GB is not enough for 10.6 (with just BaseSystem.pkg and Essentials.pkg)
So I've try another method. I've format my HDD to a GUID, with a 8G partition, containing SL DVD contents (parition copied from my iPhone with GParted - Gparted live CD can see my iPhone) and an other partition for the OS (230G). Both are in HFS+.
Then I use iBoot CD (my optical drive can read CD :D ).
And in this case, iBoot recognize my partition, I can boot on it !
But it fails... During the Apple logo white screen with loading indicator, I've a this screen Photo1.jpeg
Any idea of this wired screen ?

Attachments

• Photo1.jpeg
    Photo1.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 248
Forget this, I figured out for the error. I still have problem for the boot from HDD with iBoot from CD (kext es.osx86.drive.EvDreboot error something like that).
So I'm trying to do the same as your USB procedure on my HDD...

Note: I check the mbp sl install DVD and it's on a dual layer DVD, like the SL retail. But my optical drive is a piece of **** which give me a "EBIOS read error: device timeout"... block 0x0...

Hi there, thx for this great tuto!

I will try it tomorrow on my new dell xps15 laptop. I have a simple question: can I install ubuntu after windows and mac os? I need linux for school, as well as windows, but I love mac, that's why I want a tri boot.

I know a tri boot is possible, but will it be after following this tuto? What should i do? Just run ubuntu on my bootable usb stick when windows and macos are already installed, install it, and configure boot with grub? What about partitions?

Thanks in advance for your advices, and sorry if my english isn't perfect, I'm french.
Regards.

Just want to say it worked, and thanks. :D

I ran into one problem, getting the installer (and later SL) to boot. I got this error that was preventing the boot:

Code:
ACPI_SMCPlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

I had to use -CpuRoot=1 in iBoot to get it to work. Otherwise everything worked great. Can't believe it was so simple. Thanks!!

husky403: thx for the feedback :)

galeane said:
Hi there, thx for this great tuto!

I will try it tomorrow on my new dell xps15 laptop. I have a simple question: can I install ubuntu after windows and mac os? I need linux for school, as well as windows, but I love mac, that's why I want a tri boot.

I know a tri boot is possible, but will it be after following this tuto? What should i do? Just run ubuntu on my bootable usb stick when windows and macos are already installed, install it, and configure boot with grub? What about partitions?

Thanks in advance for your advices, and sorry if my english isn't perfect, I'm french.
Regards.

I am sorry, I have never tried triple booting before. I am assuming Windows would have to be installed first, then Ubuntu, the OS X but since I have never tried it I couldn't tell for sure!

im stuck at the very first step... this is what im getting

Users-MacBook:i386 User$ ./fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/disk2s3
-bash: ./fdisk: No such file or directory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back