Contribute
Register

Guide to Installing Mavericks on HP Probook

From your input 450 G1 and HD4000, I doubt you REALLY KNOW YOUR OWN LAPTOP.

+1

@rbledso1,

It is extremely important to understand your hardware before attempting OS X installation. The 450 G1 is Haswell, therefore HD4400 or HD4600 (and all the G1s I see listed on HP.com are HD4400).

If you make choices that are not correct for your hardware, don't expect it to work.

Interesting, as the specs reflected HD4000 on Amazon. My Bad. I will try again. Thanks for the insult NguyenMac always nice to meet a fellow sarcastic. That was sarcasm wasn't it? :)

Interesting, as the specs reflected HD4000 on Amazon. My Bad. I will try again. Thanks for the insult NguyenMac always nice to meet a fellow sarcastic. That was sarcasm wasn't it? :)

You have the hardware. Check it out for yourself. Don't trust everything you read on amazon.com.

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

System: manufacturer/model
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
System: HP ProBook 4540s
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

I don't have bad intention, but I'm not happy dealing with user errors. It's time consuming for nothing, up to the point that I'm nearly mad at this.

From your input here:

Followed the instructions for Clover, but struggling. No longer getting the reboot on the Apple Logo screen, but now it just freezes. Can't get past the UUID line.

went to bed last night with the Apple Logo on the screen and woke up to the logo still on the screen.

Any suggestions?

450 G1
HD 4000

I believe you DON'T KNOW your own hardware, and that's why:
Did not work!

Ultrawide monitor on HP Probook- Resolutions problem.

First of all I would like to thank RehabMan for making the probook installer, my hp 4540s is working greate. However I bought an Ultrawide monitor from LG with the resolution of 2560x1080. In windows the monitor work perfect, the nativ resolution is used but on OSX the max resolution via HDMI is 1980X1080. The 4540s doesn't have DVi-D dual link/ display port and I don't know how to make this monitor work.
Interesting is the fact that in the notebook specification is stated this :

DISPLAY HP ProBook 4540s:
Internal
15.6" diagonal LED-backlit HD anti-glare (1366 x 768)
External
Up to 32-bit per pixel color depth
VGA
Port supports resolutions up to 2048 x 1536 external resolution @75 Hz
HDMI
Supports direct connection to high-definition displays with up to 1920 x 1200@60Hz resolution and 7-channel audio with one
convenient cable (not included)

However I have 2560x1080 via HDMI in windows. Cam you help me with something for OSX ?

P.S. I have 10.9.4 on HP 4540s ,i5-3230M 2.60GHz, AMD Radeon HD 7650M 2GB.

Last edited:
First of all I would like to thank RehabMan for making the probook installer, my hp 4540s is working greate. However I bought an Ultrawide monitor from LG with the resolution of 2560x1080. In windows the monitor work perfect, the nativ resolution is used but on OSX the max resolution via HDMI is 1980X1080. The 4540s doesn't have DVi-D dual link/ display port and I don't know how to make this monitor work.
Interesting is the fact that in the notebook specification is stated this :

DISPLAY HP ProBook 4540s:
Internal
15.6" diagonal LED-backlit HD anti-glare (1366 x 768)
External
Up to 32-bit per pixel color depth
VGA
Port supports resolutions up to 2048 x 1536 external resolution @75 Hz
HDMI
Supports direct connection to high-definition displays with up to 1920 x 1200@60Hz resolution and 7-channel audio with one
convenient cable (not included)

However I have 2560x1080 via HDMI in windows. Cam you help me with something for OSX ?

P.S. I have 10.9.4 on HP 4540s ,i5-3230M 2.60GHz, AMD Radeon HD 7650M 2GB.

This is an OS X limitation. There may be some magic framebuffer patch, but I don't know of one that has been created. I have a 2560x1600 on my desktop and I must use DP (fortunately, I have it). I suppose the limitation carries over into HD4000 support too.

HP Probook HDMI output

but how in the world in windows I can get full resolution (2650*1080/60hz) via HDMI (and in the notebook specs is stated that the supported res is < 1920 x 1200 via HDMI) and on MAC I'm getting <= 1980*1080/60hz. I have tried to edit the EDID and to add the res but with no luck. I don't know how to fix this issue..

but how in the world in windows I can get full resolution (2650*1080/60hz) via HDMI (and in the notebook specs is stated that the supported res is < 1920 x 1200 via HDMI) and on MAC I'm getting <= 1980*1080/60hz. I have tried to edit the EDID and to add the res but with no luck. I don't know how to fix this issue..

Windows has different drivers than OS X. You can't compare the capabilities/driver support in Windows vs. OS X. OS X is optimized only for Apple computers where Windows is optimized for all PCs. Recent Macs do not have HDMI ports, they have DisplayPort.

Hello, I have two HP Probook 4540s i5 both with the amd-ati cards. Both laptops are basically identical in all specs except for the cpus: the older one has an i5 3210m cpu while the newer one (which was newly bought, brand new refurbished) has an i5 3230m. They both share the same motherboard, same amount of ram(8gb), same size hdd 750gb (different brands).

On the older 3210m laptop, I am able to follow your guide from start to finish without fail using the unibeast usb key, however when I insert the usb key and boot up on the 3230m laptop(with identical bios settings as the 3210m and as your guide states), the bootloader hangs immediately at the text-spinner in the upper left corner of screen. It never makes 1 full revolution.

I was trying a work around where I was able to make a usb clover bootloader to boot the unibeast usb, however I ran into a problem that route aswell. It seems that the bootloader flags that I need to use to boot into the Mavericks installer are exclusive to the chameleon bootloader and do not work or are ignored using the clover bootloader usb that I made.

I'm not sure where to go from here. I've followed your guide several times over with success on two different laptops before. One was my older HP 4540s with the i5 3210m and the other was a HP Probook 4540s with an i3 cpu. Both worked flawlessly. This refurbished HP Probook 4540s i5 3230m bootloader hanging at text-spinner has really got me stumped.

Can anyone share some of their insight?

On the older 3210m laptop, I am able to follow your guide from start to finish without fail using the unibeast usb key, however when I insert the usb key and boot up on the 3230m laptop(with identical bios settings as the 3210m and as your guide states), the bootloader hangs immediately at the text-spinner in the upper left corner of screen. It never makes 1 full revolution.

Probably an issue with the partition setup on the HDD. Clean it first with Windows diskpart.

I was trying a work around where I was able to make a usb clover bootloader to boot the unibeast usb, however I ran into a problem that route aswell. It seems that the bootloader flags that I need to use to boot into the Mavericks installer are exclusive to the chameleon bootloader and do not work or are ignored using the clover bootloader usb that I made.

If you plan to use Clover, follow the Clover sticky guide.

Back