Contribute
Register

Guide to Installing Mavericks on HP Probook

But the problem is that i have already updated to yosemite. Now my sound and USB is dead.

Hey Rehabman,

I used this guide last summer and have been using my computer ever since without issue. I did recently try to restart the machine from the apple menu and when the computer restarted, it didn't boot into OSX and instead went into an error screen saying that the disc could not be found. If I plug my USB installer drive in and just F9 --> boot to USB --> Unibeast boot HD then everything works fine, but I was wondering if there's a way to get it back to where it'll just start right into OSX without having to wipe the drive and start the entire install process over again. Thanks a bunch!

Hey Rehabman,

I used this guide last summer and have been using my computer ever since without issue. I did recently try to restart the machine from the apple menu and when the computer restarted, it didn't boot into OSX and instead went into an error screen saying that the disc could not be found. If I plug my USB installer drive in and just F9 --> boot to USB --> Unibeast boot HD then everything works fine, but I was wondering if there's a way to get it back to where it'll just start right into OSX without having to wipe the drive and start the entire install process over again. Thanks a bunch!

No idea without a photo of the actual error message.

IMG_3637.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3637.JPG
    IMG_3637.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 116

The most common cause is lack of an active partition. Check it with "sudo fdisk /dev/disk0". The active partition is marked with '*'.

Most of the time, the problem is caused after deleting the active partition (such as removing an existing Windows install) without setting another partition active.

BIOS will not boot legacy to a device that does not have a partition marked active.

Hey Rehabman,

I entered that command in terminal but didn't take a screenshot or a photo... I figured I'd just try a clean install and follow the same instructions I did last time. I need to sell this computer, and was planning on selling as a Hackintosh, but I still can't get it to just boot into OSX on its own without first F9 --> selecting USB drive then booting to the HD that way. I've just doing a fresh install three times in a row and am still having the same issues.

So here's where I'm at...

ProBook 4540s
serial: 2CE3191V1S
Processor: i5-3320M 2.6ghz (ivybridge)
RAM: 8.2 gig

boot flags:

PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No -x IGPlatformID=01660003 IGPEnabler=Yes

4x40s kext
i5 ivy profile
Rehabman fan profile
low resolution display
extra color profile
skipping pretty much everything else

after running the Probook installer, I get this error window

image1.JPG

I hit ok and continue with the rest of the guide. I shut the computer down, remove the USB drive and then power the machine back on after a few seconds then I get this error:

image2.JPG

After this screen this is the next thing I get:

image3.JPG

and then finally:

IMG_3653.JPG

So anyways. I'm going to give it up for the night and try again tomorrow or over the weekend. Kind of frustrating since everything seemed to work without issues last time. Again, I *can* get into OSX, it's just that now I have to guide the machine to it. I don't know what has changed or if I'm now doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance...

Back