Contribute
Register

Guide To Install Mavericks with Clover Bootloader

Hi, thanks for the more detailed info, Nguyen.

I am inclined to agree with RehabMan; without detailed information about what Clover Configurator does (which really means understanding the options of Clover itself), Clover Configurator can be very dangerous.

The 3 remaining comments/queries I have now are:

1. SubEntries is set as "true" by default. If typed in (with a property list editor), this is not saved as a line within the plist file. However, it does appear as ticked (true) in Clover Configurator!

2. Can you please tell me how to actuate the hotkeys m and w, with a Windows keyboard. I've tried a few things and none works. (They are in my plist).

3. You have the Image mav in your plist. Can you please tell me what this is, why it is set that way, whether it is worth me setting it and how?

Thanks again.

I haven't tested this option, because we already have a fully patched DSDT generated by PBI.

I am referring to your OP guide, which states:

3. Sleep

Turn off Wake on Ethernet in System Preferences and BIOS. If you have trouble with auto-wake caused by USB devices, turn off Wake on USB in BIOS, or enable USB fix in your config.plist.

In the absence of any other potential places, I assumed this meant to tick the "FixUSB" in the Acpi screen of Clover Configurator, which caused the error (with a corrupt graphics screen on booting and a hang): OsxAptipFixDrv: Error - requested memory exceeds our allocated relocation block. Luckily, using the USB boot stick with an older config.plist got round this, and I removed the "FixUSB" option.

If I have done correctly what is stated in the OP, this did not work. If the OP is asking users to select some other "USB fix", it ideally should state what and where this is, as I at least have done the wrong thing in the absence of further information.

(BTW, this does not stop your guide from being superb otherwise).

I am referring to your OP guide, which states:

3. Sleep

Turn off Wake on Ethernet in System Preferences and BIOS. If you have trouble with auto-wake caused by USB devices, turn off Wake on USB in BIOS, or enable USB fix in your config.plist.

I talked about section 5. Disable wake up by USB devices , ok I will fix the typo

Hi, thanks for the more detailed info, Nguyen.

I am inclined to agree with RehabMan; without detailed information about what Clover Configurator does (which really means understanding the options of Clover itself), Clover Configurator can be very dangerous.

The 3 remaining comments/queries I have now are:

1. SubEntries is set as "true" by default. If typed in (with a property list editor), this is not saved as a line within the plist file. However, it does appear as ticked (true) in Clover Configurator!

2. Can you please tell me how to actuate the hotkeys m and w, with a Windows keyboard. I've tried a few things and none works. (They are in my plist).

3. You have the Image mav in your plist. Can you please tell me what this is, why it is set that way, whether it is worth me setting it and how?

Thanks again.
1. Default option Subentries = true, it's the sub menu appears when you press spacebar.

2. When you're in clover screen, press the hotkey will boot the corresponding entry.

3. Image = icon will show for that entry, I set mav, then recovery entry will be shown with mavericks icon.

All the settings required to make the system boot properly can all be set in Clover Configurator. I myself always use this application and I feel perfectly comfortable, if I see things not right, I will report the problem to mackie. Of course, it can't satisfy your customization, but think about new members, they don't have experience with tag and can break a XML file easily. If you feel comfortable with plist editor, just delete CC.

I talked about section 5. Disable wake up by USB devices , ok I will fix the typo

1. Default option Subentries = true, it's the sub menu appears when you press spacebar.

2. When you're in clover screen, press the hotkey will boot the corresponding entry.

3. Image = icon will show for that entry, I set mav, then recovery entry will be shown with mavericks icon.

All the settings required to make the system boot properly can all be set in Clover Configurator. I myself always use this application and I feel perfectly comfortable, if I see things not right, I will report the problem to mackie. Of course, it can't satisfy your customization, but think about new members, they don't have experience with tag and can break a XML file easily. If you feel comfortable with plist editor, just delete CC.
Thanks for clarifications.

Sorry, I hoped I was done but I do have 2 remaining questions.

1. When the Gui tab is clicked in CC, a splashscreen comes up marked "Help Custom Entries / SubEntries" which in my case has three IDs (0, 1, 2) corresponding to "MyCustomEntries", Linux, OSX 10.9. The SubEntries are not ticked on 1, 3 but are on Linux (2), which I do not have on my system. This box has an option "Remember Me", I do not know what the impact of this being ticked or not has.

2. I click on the X (close) tab, and my own Custom Entries correspond to my system (these I have entered manually), IDs 0, 1, 2, 3. My layout looks like yours, with ID 1 for Windows 8.1 and a FullTitle "Windows 8.1 Professional". The icons for the other OS's come up, with the correct FullTitle (eg OS X Mavericks) but the "Windows 8.1 Professional" simply comes up with (i.e. unchanged) "Boot microsoft EFI boot menu from EFI". The icon is also not the custom win8 icon I have set. Do you have any idea why the otehr boot entries should give the correct FullTitle and icons when booting, but not the win8 one?

Sorry, I hoped I was done but I do have 2 remaining questions.

1. When the Gui tab is clicked in CC, a splashscreen comes up marked "Help Custom Entries / SubEntries" which in my case has three IDs (0, 1, 2) corresponding to "MyCustomEntries", Linux, OSX 10.9. The SubEntries are not ticked on 1, 3 but are on Linux (2), which I do not have on my system. This box has an option "Remember Me", I do not know what the impact of this being ticked or not has.

2. I click on the X (close) tab, and my own Custom Entries correspond to my system (these I have entered manually), IDs 0, 1, 2, 3. My layout looks like yours, with ID 1 for Windows 8.1 and a FullTitle "Windows 8.1 Professional". The icons for the other OS's come up, with the correct FullTitle (eg OS X Mavericks) but the "Windows 8.1 Professional" simply comes up with (i.e. unchanged) "Boot microsoft EFI boot menu from EFI". The icon is also not the custom win8 icon I have set. Do you have any idea why the otehr boot entries should give the correct FullTitle and icons when booting, but not the win8 one?

1. That screen is only a readme screen, just to introduce the Gui section. Uncheck Remember me and it won't appear again.

2. Set the path to your bootmgfw-orig.efi, and the UUID is of EFI partition, not your Windows partition.

1. That screen is only a readme screen, just to introduce the Gui section. Uncheck Remember me and it won't appear again.

2. Set the path to your bootmgfw-orig.efi, and the UUID is of EFI partition, not your Windows partition.

Whoopiee!!! It's all done nicely now thanks (yes, it needed the Windows EFI partition, not the Windows partition).

BTW, I have both the host W8.1 activated, and the Parallels VM W8.1 activated. That is necessary because the hardware ID Windows sees is different. This means that I need to reactivate each time. I tried a boot cmd at start, copying the licencing files dependent on whether the boot was real or a VM, but this did not work. Have you got a work around for the need to reactivate each time? (Which works, but is tedious). If need be, please feel free to start a new thread (and let me know where it is, if you do!)

Thanks very much for all your collective efforts, particularly you Nguyen, it's ace!

I have no idea with licensing problem in Parallels, I'm using it in trial mode temporarily. You can look around at Parallels forum about this.

I have no idea with licensing problem in Parallels, I'm using it in trial mode temporarily. You can look around at Parallels forum about this.
The problem is with Windows, not Parallels. WIndows has two sets of activations, one when boot camp (native), the other as a VM (windows). That was what the queston was about, but don't worry, let's leave it as otherwise I will be diverting from the thread.

Whoopiee!!! It's all done nicely now thanks (yes, it needed the Windows EFI partition, not the Windows partition).

BTW, I have both the host W8.1 activated, and the Parallels VM W8.1 activated. That is necessary because the hardware ID Windows sees is different. This means that I need to reactivate each time. I tried a boot cmd at start, copying the licencing files dependent on whether the boot was real or a VM, but this did not work. Have you got a work around for the need to reactivate each time? (Which works, but is tedious). If need be, please feel free to start a new thread (and let me know where it is, if you do!)

Thanks very much for all your collective efforts, particularly you Nguyen, it's ace!

In previous versions of windows (not sure about 8 /8.1) you could activate in cmd prompt, if thats still the case, you could create a script that does it at boot up if there is no other option.

Don't ask me how to though lol

Back