Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Sierra on the GA-Z170X-UD3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think going straight to Sierra might be a better idea. Did you do the AGDPFix as well?

My thoughts too, I'd rather avoid porting any garbage from El Capitan if I can avoid it.

I tried to do AGDPFix but when I disabled SIP and rebooted, it says SIP is still in place. I'll give that another try tonight, but I'm confused on why I couldn't disable SIP.

Hopefully that's an easy fix.

FYI, I beat my head against the wall trying to get Unibeast to install on my z170x-ud3 6700k Sierra build .. Finally realized that the latest firmware R22 doest work.. Moved it back to R20, now Im able to install.. Now for the settings :)

Update, Got the beast running and even clocked it at 4.8ghz! Running super smooth everything works like a charm.

Hey, first off amazingly thorough guide, THANK YOU! I have the ud5 board but it's basically identical.

I've got everything working at this point but when I boot up (I do have two monitors, DVI & DP) It says that it's on the Nvidia Drivers but it's not. The drivers loaded are the 355.x.x.x and not the 367.x.x.x I've confirmed this through the extensions tab and CUDA-z.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Quick update to say that 10.12.4 resolves the long-standing issues with the 530 iGPU on this board, at least on a single monitor. I'll do some more testing on dual monitors and report back.

On my 10.12.3 using the 530 for dual monitors (using the work-around of booting up with a single monitor and turning on the second at the desktop) with patches for the 530 (inject intel, 4 port patch, ig-platform-id 0x19120000, rename IGPU, and the Sierra "glitch" fixes), I applied the combo update, DISABLED all those fixes in my config.plist (removed the ig-platform-id and unchecked inject intel), rebooted, and everything is working as before.

I'll do some more testing on dual monitors and report back. The dual monitor fix required identifying which port was which connector using IORegistryExplorer and adding patches to config.plist. I had those in and also disabled those prior to reboot. Dual monitors on some SMBIOSes also requires the ADGPFix be applied. I am using iMac14,2 on this build for compatibility, which I believe does not require AGDPFix.

Update: dual monitors work as before. I boot up with the dvi monitor plugged in, and turn on the HDMI monitor at the desktop, and with a scientifically negligible sample size of one boot, I have dual monitors working. This is with the GFX to IGPU rename DISABLED and the port-connector patches DISABLED. Note that my Apple Cinema Display (the crystal display that used the proprietary ADC connector which I connected to DVI using the Apple ADC-to-DVI adapter) which used to support a dual monitor config on el cap and which works fine as a single monitor, does not seem to like being used in a dual monitor config on Sierra. I have a ViewSonic monitor on the DVI port now. I had dual monitors working once on the ACD but set the primary display in system prefs to my HDMI monitor by dragging the menu bar and it's never worked since. Sad.

Last edited:
How about 10.12.4? I followed your guide but cannot boot from USB (I used 10.12.4 installer)...

Since building Sierra on this system I seem to be unable to sleep the display. I understand sleeping the system is dicey unless using an nVidia GPU. I'm just talking about putting the display to sleep. On el cap I could sleep the display and it would come back up later, but now on Sierra pretty much as soon as I sleep the display it won't come back up.

I followed this guide, I'm using SMBIOS iMac 14,2, I ran freqVectorsEdit.sh for iMac 14,2, I ran the ssdtPRGen and put the ssdt.aml in clover/acpi/patched, and ran the pmset command from the first post. I'm not on the new BIOSes. Everything else is pretty much exactly as the guide says.

Anyone have any suggestions for trying to figure out this problem with just sleeping the display and having it wake up? I'm using the integrated 530 GPU, and I'm on 10.12.4. I appreciate any suggestions.

Copy files from Desktop to these places
  • ACPI/patched/SSDT-5.aml
  • ACPI/patched/USB-SSDT.aml
What if I do a fresh installation? Then could I run the USB command after I enter the new system?

NEVER MIND, I realized this command does not need to read the system files...thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back