Contribute
Register

[Guide] Patching LAPTOP DSDT/SSDTs

Read the writeup in the Skylake starter guide. Learn as you go.

Quick recap:
Kernel_task high CPU usage, fresh install, CPU never goes to lower P-States (maybe 1 or 2, but it goes up again)
Everything working but the high CPU usage makes the system have poor battery life (2h compared to 4h or even 5h on Linux) and the fan working all day.
kernel_task is generic, it doesn't specify what's under it using the CPU too much.

Well... Created my SSDT-USB, installed USBInjectAll.kext, but everything stays the same. Don't know what to do.
I don't know what's wrong, I keep thinking about those damn SMBIOS.

I attach you CLOVER folder, ioreg and kextcache update.

Attachments

• Clover.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 70
  • kextupdate.txt.zip
    665 bytes · Views: 78
  • ioreg.zip
    431.1 KB · Views: 65
Quick recap:
Kernel_task high CPU usage, fresh install, CPU never goes to lower P-States (maybe 1 or 2, but it goes up again)
Everything working but the high CPU usage makes the system have poor battery life (2h compared to 4h or even 5h on Linux) and the fan working all day.
kernel_task is generic, it doesn't specify what's under it using the CPU too much.

Well... Created my SSDT-USB, installed USBInjectAll.kext, but everything stays the same. Don't know what to do.
I don't know what's wrong, I keep thinking about those damn SMBIOS.

I attach you CLOVER folder, ioreg and kextcache update.

USB is not configured correctly. Since you're not using EHC1, you might as well disable it (in BIOS set XHCI mode to 'Enabled'). Internal ports should be marked UsbConnector=255. USB2 only ports should be marked UsbConnector=0. USB3 ports (both HSxx and SSPx component) should be marked UsbConnector=3. Unused ports should not be injected.

Other comments:
- no experience with VoodooHDA
- no idea what the AppleIntelFramebufferAzul patch you have in your config.plist is trying to accomplish
- same goes for the IOGraphicsFamily patch (they both look like nonsense and probably have no effect)
- config.plist/SMBIOS/Trust should be true (you have it false)
- -xcpm is not needed (it is default with your hardware)
- never had to use darkwake
- there seems to be excess (not needed) patches to SSDT-2
- wrong brightness patch is being used for IntelBacklight.kext (use "Brightness Fix" instead)
- MCHC patch may not be needed
- SBUS patch may not be needed
- you should rename existing HECI (to IMEI) instead of removing it and adding IMEI

Tracking down CPU usage by the kernel and kernel extensions is not easy. Look at your kernel logs for clues, and eliminate unnecessary kexts as a means of "process of elimination".

Disable any unusual BIOS features.

USB is not configured correctly. Since you're not using EHC1, you might as well disable it (in BIOS set XHCI mode to 'Enabled'). Internal ports should be marked UsbConnector=255. USB2 only ports should be marked UsbConnector=0. USB3 ports (both HSxx and SSPx component) should be marked UsbConnector=3. Unused ports should not be injected.

Other comments:
- no experience with VoodooHDA
- no idea what the AppleIntelFramebufferAzul patch you have in your config.plist is trying to accomplish
- same goes for the IOGraphicsFamily patch (they both look like nonsense and probably have no effect)
- config.plist/SMBIOS/Trust should be true (you have it false)
- -xcpm is not needed (it is default with your hardware)
- never had to use darkwake
- there seems to be excess (not needed) patches to SSDT-2
- wrong brightness patch is being used for IntelBacklight.kext (use "Brightness Fix" instead)
- MCHC patch may not be needed
- SBUS patch may not be needed
- you should rename existing HECI (to IMEI) instead of removing it and adding IMEI

Tracking down CPU usage by the kernel and kernel extensions is not easy. Look at your kernel logs for clues, and eliminate unnecessary kexts as a means of "process of elimination".

Disable any unusual BIOS features.

I only have 3 USB ports, 1x USB 2.0 and 2x USB 3.0, that's why there is a UsbConnector=0, and also the two 255 are internal connectors (webcam + bluetooth).
My BIOS is very shitty, it doesn't have any options to do whatever with the USBs, it just has VT-x on/off, Security boot, UEFI/CSM, SATA Performance mode and very little more. Toshiba more like Toshitba.

Also, VoodooHDA is being used in a friend's Clevo that I installed and it doesn't make the CPU go on fire, also as I said previously, it wasn't installed before these Issues.

The patches for AppleIntelFramebufferAzul and IOGraphicsFamily were to fix the 9MB cursor and to fix the black display when wake up, I've read it from configs from 10.11 for HD4400 like mine, but I'll disable them.

Trust enabled under SMBIOS.

-xcpm ignored
darkwake as default
SSDT-2 restored.
My brightness was working fine, even without IntelBacklight, I used the Haswell Brightness fix and it worked always, but I patched a new DSDT with the "Brightness fix" as you want, it works just the same.
MCHC not applied.
SMBUS not applied.
And HECI renamed.

No changes. :S

Attachments

• Clover.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 65
I only have 3 USB ports, 1x USB 2.0 and 2x USB 3.0, that's why there is a UsbConnector=0, and also the two 255 are internal connectors (webcam + bluetooth).

Each USB3 port includes a SSPx and HSxx component. Both should be marked UsbConnector=3.
USB2 only HSxx should be marked UsbConnector=0.
Your SSDT-USB.aml is a mess.
Suggestions:
- list the ports in order
- the port name should match the port address (eg. why do you have HS03 with a port address of 6?)
- it is probably not a good idea to have two separate ports assigned to the same address (HS03 and HS06 share 6).

No changes. :S

No further ideas.

Last edited:
Each USB3 port includes a SSPx and HSxx component. Both should be marked UsbConnector=3.
USB2 only HSxx should be marked UsbConnector=0.
Your SSDT-USB.aml is a mess.
Suggestions:
- list the ports in order
- the port name should match the port address (eg. why do you have HS03 with a port address of 6?)

No further ideas.
HS03 is a USB2 only port, so that's why is UsbConnector=0
I fixed the HS06 and port address 6
Also fixed the UsbConnector=255 for the internal USB for the webcam.
And I ordered by HS01, HS02, HS03, etc... and then SSP1 and SSP2.

Also, do you know any issues with FakeSMC? I think it has something to do with the kernel_task issue, I don't know, on real Macs the issue always was the SMC, I'm not sure at all if there is something wrong with it.
Actually I'm using the lastest version from your repo on Bitbucket.

Attachments

• SSDT-USB.dsl
    2.4 KB · Views: 112
HS03 is a USB2 only port, so that's why is UsbConnector=0
I fixed the HS06 and port address 6
Also fixed the UsbConnector=255 for the internal USB for the webcam.
And I ordered by HS01, HS02, HS03, etc... and then SSP1 and SSP2.

Based on the info you provide, this looks fine. You should verify in ioreg, of course.

Also, do you know any issues with FakeSMC? I think it has something to do with the kernel_task issue, I don't know, on real Macs the issue always was the SMC, I'm not sure at all if there is something wrong with it.
Actually I'm using the lastest version from your repo on Bitbucket.

I have no issues with my version of FakeSMC.

I cannot get the extract thing to work...I tried the clover method both F4 and Alt+F4 and I end up with empty folders.

Tried running the command and this is what it says

Code:
usr/bin/makefile: line 4: .PHONY:: command not found
/usr/bin/makefile: line 5: all:: command not found
xcode-select: error: tool 'xcodebuild' requires Xcode, but active developer directory '/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools' is a command line tools instance
xcode-select: error: tool 'xcodebuild' requires Xcode, but active developer directory '/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools' is a command line tools instance
/usr/bin/makefile: line 11: .PHONY:: command not found
/usr/bin/makefile: line 12: clean:: command not found
/usr/bin/makefile: line 18: .PHONY:: command not found
/usr/bin/makefile: line 19: install:: command not found
cp: Build/Products/Release/MaciASL.app: No such file or directory
cp: Build/Products/Release/patchmatic: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/makefile: line 23: .PHONY:: command not found
/usr/bin/makefile: line 24: distribute:: command not found
ditto: no files for PKZip archive
/usr/bin/makefile: line 36: DIST1: command not found
mv: rename ./Archive.zip to ./Distribute/-2016-1012.zip: No such file or directory
ditto: can't get real path for source './Distribute/patchmatic'
/usr/bin/makefile: line 38: DIST2: command not found
mv: rename ./Archive.zip to ./Distribute/-2016-1012.zip: No such file or directory
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

[Process completed]

I cannot get the extract thing to work...I tried the clover method both F4 and Alt+F4 and I end up with empty folders.

Tried running the command and this is what it says

Code:
usr/bin/makefile: line 4: .PHONY:: command not found
/usr/bin/makefile: line 5: all:: command not found
/usr/bin/makefile: line 11: .PHONY:: command not found
/usr/bin/makefile: line 12: clean:: command not found
/usr/bin/makefile: line 18: .PHONY:: command not found
/usr/bin/makefile: line 19: install:: command not found
/usr/bin/makefile: line 23: .PHONY:: command not found
/usr/bin/makefile: line 24: distribute:: command not found
ditto: no files for PKZip archive
/usr/bin/makefile: line 36: DIST1: command not found
ditto: can't get real path for source './Distribute/patchmatic'
/usr/bin/makefile: line 38: DIST2: command not found
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

[Process completed]

Why are you trying to build patchmatic/MaciASL (without Xcode installed)?

Extraction of native ACPI is done with Clover F4. And patchmatic and MaciASL have pre-built binaries you simply download.

Keep in mind F4 extracts to the partition/device from which Clover was booted from.

Why are you trying to build patchmatic/MaciASL (without Xcode installed)?

Extraction of native ACPI is done with Clover F4. And patchmatic and MaciASL have pre-built binaries you simply download.

Keep in mind F4 extracts to the partition/device from which Clover was booted from.

That's the thing that's bugging me, I do have it installed. I even updated it...

Also - I'm aware the files end up in my clover USB but the folders are just empty. I am also booting with flags. How can I see the files on my Boot USB? When I click it in MacOS all it shows it the SierraOS installer and not the EFI partition

That's the thing that's bugging me, I do have it installed. I even updated it...

First, there is no need to build maciASL/patchmatic.
Second, if you want to build it, you must insure Xcode command line tools are configured correctly.

I'm not going to get into correctly configuring Xcode here. If you lack developer skills, you should use the pre-built as linked from the README.

Back