Contribute
Register

[Guide] Patching LAPTOP DSDT/SSDTs

Okay, so here it is, again.

My laptop doesn't enter to sleep as it has to do, actually the laptop keeps the LED glowing like it was suspended,

I don't know what you mean by "LED glowing". Are you referring to the "Power LED"? What do you mean by "glowing". Generally, the power LED will flash when sleep has been successfully entered.

but when I press the button, instead of waking up directly to password prompt,

Assuming the laptop successfully entered sleep, it likely means your laptop crashed during wakeup.

also, sleep is kinda slow, about 10s or even more since I press "Sleep" or close the lid.

It is as designed by Apple.

My CPU doesn't go to a lower freq than its max, maybe it can go lower (not by much, from 1,7GHz to 1,5GHz) in certain moments, using a lot of power and being battery hungry (only 2h of battery, Linux gets 4 or even 5), I used ssdtPRGen.sh to generate a SSDT for my CPU, but it looks like isn't working or something is going wrong with it.

You should check Activity Monitor for runaway processes using CPU resources.

And also noticed that "kernel_task" is using 60% of my CPU always, even that I have disabled SIP, I wonder if the SSDT is good but the kernel_task is making the CPU go full speed always or if it's just normal and the CPU should be in a lower P-State.

Some kext/software you installed is causing it.

Perhaps you should start over, so you can observe for each item you install when the behavior starts. Then you'll know which component to blame.

I don't know what you mean by "LED glowing". Are you referring to the "Power LED"? What do you mean by "glowing". Generally, the power LED will flash when sleep has been successfully entered.
There's a LED on the power button that shows when the computer is sleeping, it blinks when it's suspended on Windows and Linux, on Mac does the same, but when you push the button or open the lid, it goes to Clover again, boots Mac and it shows like if it wakes up. I mean, I have automatic login enabled so it does not request my password, but when it boots after "sleep" (even that it boots with clover again) it shows like it woke from sleeping, asking for password and showing all the windows you have opened.

Assuming the laptop successfully entered sleep, it likely means your laptop crashed during wakeup.
And there is a way to change the way it sleeps or something to fix it?

It is as designed by Apple.
Alright. That's fine. :p

You should check Activity Monitor for runaway processes using CPU resources.

Some kext/software you installed is causing it.

Perhaps you should start over, so you can observe for each item you install when the behavior starts. Then you'll know which component to blame.
It actually shows "kernel_task" with no specific process. :S

There's a LED on the power button that shows when the computer is sleeping, it blinks when it's suspended on Windows and Linux, on Mac does the same, but when you push the button or open the lid, it goes to Clover again, boots Mac and it shows like if it wakes up. I mean, I have automatic login enabled so it does not request my password, but when it boots after "sleep" (even that it boots with clover again) it shows like it woke from sleeping, asking for password and showing all the windows you have opened.

It sounds like panic/crash/reboot after sleep.

Some of the _PRW patches you did are completely wrong. You cannot change 0x6d to 0x0d and expect the system to still work. You will need to determine which one is really being used.

It actually shows "kernel_task" with no specific process. :S

Yes. All kexts run under kernel_task.

Last edited:
It sounds like panic/crash/reboot after sleep.

Some of the _PRW patches you did are completely wrong. You cannot change 0x6d to 0x0d and expect the system to still work. You will need to determine which one is really being used.

Yes. All kexts run under kernel_task.
How do I know what to use on _PRW?
I don't know how to patch _PRW "manually".

Also, without _PRW patches, the system does that "instant wake" but as I said, instead of waking up, reboots, it goes to clover, boots, and then asks for password like if it just woke up.

Don't know what I did wrong actually (well, the _PRW USB patches, but as I said, without them it does the same as with them, wake up is reboot).

Oh, also, did you know what SMBIOS apply to my laptop? Because no one adapts well on my laptop, actually the GT Clock is higher than it should (it should be 0,2GHz but its low with MacbookAir6,2 SMBIOs is 0,35GHz).

EDIT: Okay, I fixed it, a little bit.
Now it enters sleep, I open the lid, and it works perfect, but when I do that a second time and I open the lid, stays black, so I have to shut down.
I tried a fix for the black screen when waking up, but I think it doesn't work at all or the problem is other and the screen just stays black.
Also, I'm noticing that sometimes I have BT, sometimes not, I don't know if there's something bad in my config, also, it's an Intel WiFi+BT card, so I found a little bit weird that BT works.
I've bought a BCM9435Z (I think the model is that) that is NGFF and will work with Sierra.
Oh, and I'm trying to find what is making kernel_task eat all my CPU, actually I don't have much installed, kext are just
VoodooHDA, VoodooPS2, FakePCIID (+HDGraphics,+XHCI), FakeSMC and the actual Intel Energy Driver to use Intel Power Gadget.

Last edited:
How do I know what to use on _PRW?
I don't know how to patch _PRW "manually".

One of your _PRW methods is conditional on a variable (look at the code). You will need to determine what that variable is set to (use ACPIDebug.kext).

One of your _PRW methods is conditional on a variable (look at the code). You will need to determine what that variable is set to (use ACPIDebug.kext).
WTF
I did a fresh install and the CPU keeps at high frequencys. Something is wrong here, only FakeSMC and VoodooPS2 ofc.
Do you know if FakeSMC has something to do with this?
I mean, I'm using the lastest version, maybe a older one will work better. Don't know.

WTF
I did a fresh install and the CPU keeps at high frequencys. Something is wrong here, only FakeSMC and VoodooPS2 ofc.
Do you know if FakeSMC has something to do with this?
I mean, I'm using the lastest version, maybe a older one will work better. Don't know.

Check Activity Monitor. Also, you didn't provide any data, so no possibility to make any conclusions.

Typical data required for analysis:

Attach ioreg as ZIP: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply with an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.

Provide output (in Terminal):
Code:
kextstat|grep -y acpiplat
kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu
kextstat|grep -y applelpc
kextstat|grep -y applehda

Attach EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (press F4 at main Clover screen before collecting). Please eliminate 'themes' directory. Provide only EFI/Clover, not the entire EFI folder.

Attach output of (in Terminal):
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

Compress all files as ZIP. Do not use external links. Attach all files using site attachments only.

Check Activity Monitor. Also, you didn't provide any data, so no possibility to make any conclusions.

Typical data required for analysis:

Attach ioreg as ZIP: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply with an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.

Provide output (in Terminal):
Code:
kextstat|grep -y acpiplat
kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu
kextstat|grep -y applelpc
kextstat|grep -y applehda

Attach EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (press F4 at main Clover screen before collecting). Please eliminate 'themes' directory. Provide only EFI/Clover, not the entire EFI folder.

Attach output of (in Terminal):
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

Compress all files as ZIP. Do not use external links. Attach all files using site attachments only.

Quick resume of the laptop:
Toshiba L50-B-15F
i3 4005U 1.70GHz, HT, no Turboboost.
8GB 1600MHz RAM
IntelHD 4400 - 1920x1080
Clover bootloader

So... I did a clean install, I have everything working, from sound, to brightness, sleep, etc... but I have a really big problem with something that makes kernel_task stay using 60% of CPU always.
My CPU never goes down from 1,70GHz, which actually is the max frequency, because this is a i3-4005U (Dual core, Hyperthreading, no turbo boost).

As expected, computer isn't "relaxed" and the battery life seems to be shorter than Linux or Windows (on Linux or Windows, with light tasks, it's just at 800MHz, which is its low frequency)

Actually I suspect there's something with the SMBIOS, because changing it also affects GT min clock.
I did a clean install, only using FakeSMC and kernel_task was using my CPU since the first boot.

Also, I don't know if FakeSMC is the problem, because on real Macs this happens and you just need to reset the SMC to get it working perfect again, but here we have no way to reset the SMC. :p

I attach ioreg and clover outputs.

Attachments

• kextcache-update.txt.zip
    570 bytes · Views: 66
  • Clover.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 77
  • ioreg.zip
    425.8 KB · Views: 85
Quick resume of the laptop:
Toshiba L50-B-15F
i3 4005U 1.70GHz, HT, no Turboboost.
8GB 1600MHz RAM
IntelHD 4400 - 1920x1080
Clover bootloader

So... I did a clean install, I have everything working, from sound, to brightness, sleep, etc... but I have a really big problem with something that makes kernel_task stay using 60% of CPU always.
My CPU never goes down from 1,70GHz, which actually is the max frequency, because this is a i3-4005U (Dual core, Hyperthreading, no turbo boost).

As expected, computer isn't "relaxed" and the battery life seems to be shorter than Linux or Windows (on Linux or Windows, with light tasks, it's just at 800MHz, which is its low frequency)

Actually I suspect there's something with the SMBIOS, because changing it also affects GT min clock.
I did a clean install, only using FakeSMC and kernel_task was using my CPU since the first boot.

Also, I don't know if FakeSMC is the problem, because on real Macs this happens and you just need to reset the SMC to get it working perfect again, but here we have no way to reset the SMC. :p

I attach ioreg and clover outputs.

Comments:
- problem may be due to VoodooHDA. Try without.
- backlight control is not implemented correctly (missing IntelBacklight.kext)
- USB is not implemented correctly (plan on custom SSDT for USBInjectAll.kext)
- HECI should be named IMEI
- ig-platform-id should probably be 0x0a260006 (you have 0x0a26000a)
- FakeSMC.kext is not the one suggested by my guide

Oh, I also attach screenshots from Intel Power Gadget and Activity Monitor.

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2016-10-11 a las 18.54.22.png
    Captura de pantalla 2016-10-11 a las 18.54.22.png
    192 KB · Views: 97
  • Captura de pantalla 2016-10-11 a las 18.55.13.png
    Captura de pantalla 2016-10-11 a las 18.55.13.png
    81.2 KB · Views: 95
Back