Contribute
Register

[Guide] Patching DSDT/SSDT for LAPTOP backlight control

I found the problem. It happen when I apply graphics_PNLF_haswell to ssdt5. So, how am I gonna adjust brightness without that patch ?

It means you made a mistake...

Boot verbose, show photo. Post EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (omit 'themes' folder).

I don't know how this works on real MacBook's but I was wondering if there is anything that can be done to the backlight/power problem. Also I don't know if this is with just my DSDT or if this is a common problem with systems that have ACPIBatteryManager.kext.

I have fully working backlight with AppleBacklight.kext but if I for example shutdown the laptop with AC on and later turn it on without AC OS X doesn't detect it and it boots with 100% brightness. Is there something missing from DSDT or maybe something could be added into ACPIBatteryManager.kext?

Otherwise the backlight works fine If I shut down with 80% backlight it will also boot with 80%, only thing is that on boot something doesn't get information from somewhere wether there is AC connected or not.

I don't know how this works on real MacBook's but I was wondering if there is anything that can be done to the backlight/power problem. Also I don't know if this is with just my DSDT or if this is a common problem with systems that have ACPIBatteryManager.kext.

I have fully working backlight with AppleBacklight.kext but if I for example shutdown the laptop with AC on and later turn it on without AC OS X doesn't detect it and it boots with 100% brightness. Is there something missing from DSDT or maybe something could be added into ACPIBatteryManager.kext?

Otherwise the backlight works fine If I shut down with 80% backlight it will also boot with 80%, only thing is that on boot something doesn't get information from somewhere wether there is AC connected or not.

Using AppleBacklight.kext requires "Brightness Fix (HD3000/HD4000)" and patches to AppleBacklight.kext or a custom AppleBacklightInjector.kext to match your display.

But if you use AppleBacklight.kext, you'll miss smooth transitions as they do not work on hacks with the native kext (even with the appropriate display data), so best to use "Brightness Fix" + IntelBacklight.kext.

Backlight level restore after reboot requires correct NVRAM implementation.

It means you made a mistake...

Boot verbose, show photo. Post EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (omit 'themes' folder).

DSC_0250.jpgDSC_0252.jpgDSC_0249.jpg

View attachment CLOVER.zip

"Waiting for DSMOS" without a corresponding "DSMOS has arrived" implies that FakeSMC is missing or not loading.

Note: Did not look at CLOVER.ZIP (it should be a lot smaller with 'themes' removed, as requested)

snip_20160205165735.png
Themes is already removed. If you don't trust try to download it and take a look.

View attachment 175485
Themes is already removed. If you don't trust try to download it and take a look.

ACPI is not patched correctly.

You should have in ACPI/patched:
DSDT.aml
SSDT.aml (from ssdtPRgen.sh)
SSDT-0.aml
SSDT-1.aml
SSDT-2.aml
SSDT-6.aml
SSDT-7.aml
SSDT-8.aml
SSDT-9.aml

Clover/kexts also not according to guide. See guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...de-booting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover.html

Clover/drivers64UEFI also not according to guide.

Using AppleBacklight.kext requires "Brightness Fix (HD3000/HD4000)" and patches to AppleBacklight.kext or a custom AppleBacklightInjector.kext to match your display.

But if you use AppleBacklight.kext, you'll miss smooth transitions as they do not work on hacks with the native kext (even with the appropriate display data), so best to use "Brightness Fix" + IntelBacklight.kext.

Backlight level restore after reboot requires correct NVRAM implementation.

On 8570p and Radeon, only DSDT patches are required to get fully working backlight with vanilla AppleBacklight.kext. It works as it works on real macs, with smooth transitions and detects correctly wether AC is plugged or not.

NVRAM works and thats not the problem. If I'm on battery so that the backlight is about 80% and go to sleep or restart, backlight is still 80%. Also when I plug or unplug AC the backlight will adjust accordingly.

The problem is that if you shutdown with AC plugged so that your backlight is 100% then you unplug AC (while laptop is still turned off) and then turn on the laptop, OS X doesn't get the information that the AC was unplugged while laptop was turned off. On Windows this works and I would guess that it would work on real macs also but i'm not sure.

Back