Contribute
Register

[Guide] Patching DSDT/SSDT for LAPTOP backlight control

Hotpatch for BRT6 is fits into the "rename/replace" pattern.

Didn't have the chance to try and sort this out until today - Holy crap it worked, and I did it faster than I expected!

Your guide on Post 2 of your clover hotpatch thread was invaluable, and in the end the whole thing was really simple. I renamed the BRT6 method to XRT6 to make it a dead end, and made a small SSDT that implements the patch. Thanks to your guide I got the definition and externals without any bother and it compiled straight away.

I did have one crash since in the SSDT I wrote I mistakenly used GPU0 instead of IGPU, but that was an easy fix and it worked perfectly after.

Thank you so, so much for the help over the last couple of weeks, it's been absolutely invaluable!

Last edited:
Hi,RehabMan master
I have used your hotpatch with OS-X-laptop-hotpatch repo (set config.dsl and ssdt-PNLF etc.),and also use applebacklightinject.kext with clover.plist patch, However I can't get my PC's backlight work, there is no slider in SysPrefs->Displays and no backlight control key can be used either!How do i do?
My laptop is MSI 7REX-1650 with core i7 7700HK CPU and Intel HD630. I'v set PWM 0x056c, is that right or not?

Hi,RehabMan master
I have used your hotpatch with OS-X-laptop-hotpatch repo (set config.dsl and ssdt-PNLF etc.),and also use applebacklightinject.kext with clover.plist patch, However I can't get my PC's backlight work, there is no slider in SysPrefs->Displays and no backlight control key can be used either!How do i do?
My laptop is MSI 7REX-1650 with core i7 7700HK CPU and Intel HD630. I'v set PWM 0x056c, is that right or not?

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Mobo: MSI 7REX-1650 (Clover 4359)
CPU: i7-7700HK/HM175
Graphics: HD630, 1920x1680
Audio:Realtek ALC899
Ethernet: Atheros 8171/8175
Wlan: Intel wireless AC-3168 with Bluetooth 8087-0AA7

Now, I'v make my hardware work well mostly with your hotpatch guide. graphic work fine and QE/CI which use ig-platform-id 00005b19, but there is some problem i can't fix.
First, I'v flowed by your guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-dsdt-ssdt-for-laptop-backlight-control.152659/ to inject PNLF and inject applebacklightinjection.kext, However I can't get my PC's backlight work, there is no slider in SysPrefs->Displays and no backlight control key (FN+up/down does not work and other F1...F12 etc.) can be used either! then I try to inject Clover customEDID with tosbaha's solution, but it's not effective. so I think maybe it's my acpi problem, I use APCIDebug.kext (S/L/E) to see if there is any PS2 code, but nothing in system.log. I don't know why, wether does hotpatch not support HD630 natively or acpi problem? I see my dsdt, there's no _BCM _BQC _QXX etc. method which ivy and skylake do have. is that effect the brightless?
anyway,I use USBinject.kext with my own UIAC cover, the keyboard webcam. trackpad and usb can be use but Bluetooth have no hand-off. is there any to solve the intel Bluetooth hand-off?
can you help me? thank you.

Now, I'v make my hardware work well mostly with your hotpatch guide. graphic work fine and QE/CI which use ig-platform-id 00005b19, but there is some problem i can't fix.
First, I'v flowed by your guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-dsdt-ssdt-for-laptop-backlight-control.152659/ to inject PNLF and inject applebacklightinjection.kext, However I can't get my PC's backlight work, there is no slider in SysPrefs->Displays and no backlight control key (FN+up/down does not work and other F1...F12 etc.) can be used either! then I try to inject Clover customEDID with tosbaha's solution, but it's not effective. so I think maybe it's my acpi problem, I use APCIDebug.kext (S/L/E) to see if there is any PS2 code, but nothing in system.log. I don't know why, wether does hotpatch not support HD630 natively or acpi problem? I see my dsdt, there's no _BCM _BQC _QXX etc. method which ivy and skylake do have. is that effect the brightless?
anyway,I use USBinject.kext with my own UIAC cover, the keyboard webcam. trackpad and usb can be use but Bluetooth have no hand-off. is there any to solve the intel Bluetooth hand-off?

Again:

dear sir!
How to

apply "Instrument EC Queries"

with hot patch ?

Thanks.

dear sir!
How to

apply "Instrument EC Queries"

with hot patch ?

Thanks.

That would be nonsense. EC query instrumentation is temporary, so no sense in using hotpatch for it.

dear sir!
so, any way debug _Q method with hotpath ?

As I wrote in my last reply, hotpatch is not used to instrument the EC query methods.
Although possible, it would be a silly waste of time.
Use static patch as per post #1.

Back