Contribute
Register

[Guide] Patching DSDT/SSDT for LAPTOP backlight control

I use usbinjectall.kext, so that the keyboard can work.
If not, it will not work.

The keyboard is clearly connected via USB then.
You will need to use ACPIKeyboard.kext. You can use it to generate F14/F15 from your EC queries that correspond to your brightness keys (assuming you have such EC queries).

keyboard can work without VoodooPS2Controller.

Of course. PS2 has nothing to do with USB devices.

Two choices for correct NVRAM implementation:
- native NVRAM: no EmuVariableUefi-64.efi
- EmuVariableUefi-64.efi + "RC scripts" (usually used if native NVRAM doesn't work)

EmuVariableUefi-64.efi without "RC scripts" is guaranteed not to work.
Also certain versions (recent) of Clover have broken emulated NVRAM.

I've been tick Emuvariableuefi-64.efi and Install RC scripts in target volume but still no result...
fyi im not using any backlight kext...

I've been tick Emuvariableuefi-64.efi and Install RC scripts in target volume but still no result...
fyi im not using any backlight kext...

Are you using a version of Clover that has working NVRAM?
Did you test it?
You can use nvram in Terminal to see if a test variable can survive a restart.

Are you using a version of Clover that has working NVRAM?
Did you test it?
You can use nvram in Terminal to see if a test variable can survive a restart.

i dont know which clover version is has working nvram, now im using clover v2.3k r3974 in Macos sierra 10.12.2
what should i do to fix this brightness issue?

i dont know which clover version is has working nvram, now im using clover v2.3k r3974 in Macos sierra 10.12.2
what should i do to fix this brightness issue?

I don't know either (some of the latest versions are broken, not sure when it became broken).
You should test NVRAM so you know if that is the cause.
It can also be your error if you failed to configure it correctly (for example, EmuVariableUefi-64.efi, but forgot "RC scripts").

The keyboard is clearly connected via USB then.
You will need to use ACPIKeyboard.kext. You can use it to generate F14/F15 from your EC queries that correspond to your brightness keys (assuming you have such EC queries).

Of course. PS2 has nothing to do with USB devices.

I've done it all, but still can not.

how to adjust the brightness level at start up?

I've done it all, but still can not.

Read post #1, "Problem Reporting".

how to adjust the brightness level at start up?

With correctly implemented NVRAM, brightness will restore to the previous setting.

I applied the 'Fix Brightness' to SSDT-0-GFX0. The SSDT is successfully loaded, says Clover boot.log. I put the IntelBrightness.kext in kexts/10.11/ . Nothing happens. Must it be installed to L/E to be loaded?

Edit: Yes, that did the trick. Moving along with mapping the keys.

Last edited:
I applied the 'Fix Brightness' to SSDT-0-GFX0. The SSDT is successfully loaded, says Clover boot.log. I put the IntelBrightness.kext in kexts/10.11/ . Nothing happens. Must it be installed to L/E to be loaded?

Edit: Yes, that did the trick. Moving along with mapping the keys.

Keep in mind EFI/Clover/kexts are ignored if config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts=Detect and FakeSMC.kext is installed to the system volume.

Note: "Brightness Fix" should be applied to DSDT.

I'm running your VodooPS2Controller.kext.

The particular brightness keys did not generate PS2 codes in system.log. Some other FN keys did.

The keys generate ACPI events. I identified the keys as _Q1D (down) and _Q1C (up).

I tried

into method label _Q1D replace_content
begin
// Brightness Down\n
Notify(\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, 0x0405)\n
end;
into method label _Q1C replace_content
begin
// Brightness Up\n
Notify(\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, 0x0406)\n
end;

But MaciASL could not compile. I do not have this device in my DSDT _SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K. I have a _SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2M only (mouse?).

Searching for "PS2K" in my dsdt.aml yields only 1 result. A value that says "1" , well deep under _SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC0.

What's my next step?

Back