Contribute
Register

[Guide][New VoodooI2C] Asus Vivobook S15 X510UAR 10.13+

MacBookPro13,3 not a good choice. Use MacBookPro13,1 or MacBookPro11,1.
Dear @RehabMan ,

can you explain why? Saintno has been using MacBookPro14,1 in his config.plist for this Laptop model.

When I compare via en.wikipedia.org / wiki/ MacBook_Pro and everymac.com:

MacBookPro11,1: Haswell, Intel Iris 5100 Graphics, Late 2013 - Mid 2014 (Apple introduced Kaby Lake in Mid 2017)

MacBookPro13,3: Skylake, Intel Iris Graphics 540, Late 2016

MacBookPro14,1: Kaby Lake, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640, Mid 2017

and compare with ours here (Kaby Lake, Intel UHD 620, April 2017), doesn't make MacBookPro14,1 the most sense?

Dear @RehabMan ,

can you explain why? Saintno has been using MacBookPro14,1 in his config.plist for this Laptop model.

When I compare via en.wikipedia.org / wiki/ MacBook_Pro and everymac.com:

MacBookPro11,1: Haswell, Intel Iris 5100 Graphics, Late 2013 - Mid 2014 (Apple introduced Kaby Lake in Mid 2017)

MacBookPro13,3: Skylake, Intel Iris Graphics 540, Late 2016

MacBookPro14,1: Kaby Lake, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640, Mid 2017

and compare with ours here (Kaby Lake, Intel UHD 620, April 2017), doesn't make MacBookPro14,1 the most sense?
With Kaby Lake, MacBookPro14,1 should be better than 13,1. I'd definitely go with this one when using HD6xx (or UHD6xx until 15,1 comes out).
Compared to 13,3, I assume RehabMan said 13,1 is better. That's because it doesn't use Apple's switched graphics mechanism the 13,2 and 13,3 use. The same idea is applicable to the 14,1-3 too.

11,1 can be an extra option which also disables HWP, but I'd personally go with the most suitable SMBIOS and enable HWP (It's working perfectly, here anyway).

With Kaby Lake, MacBookPro14,1 should be better than 13,1. I'd definitely go with this one when using HD6xx (or UHD6xx until 15,1 comes out).
Compared to 13,3, I assume RehabMan said 13,1 is better. That's because it doesn't use Apple's switched graphics mechanism the 13,2 and 13,3 use. The same idea is applicable to the 14,1-3 too.

11,1 can be an extra option which also disables HWP, but I'd personally go with the most suitable SMBIOS and enable HWP (It's working perfectly, here anyway).
Thank you Ben. From what I just read in the HWP guide, once I enable HWP in Clover.plist, a value should be assigned (rather than leaving the key empty). Can you recommend a power saving HWPvalue for my Laptop's 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5-8250U (4 x 1.6 GHz, configurable TDP-up Frequency 1.80 GHz, TurboBoost up to 3.40 GHz)? I do not know how to calculate the value for this CPU's max decimal multiplier

I'd prefer to leave the original 1.6 Ghz, so I guess the value would be 0x94001001? (10 hex for 16 decimal as per binaryhexconverter.com / decimal-to-hex-converter).

BTW, in About this Mac and System Profiler, this 1.6 GHz CPU is shown as 1.8 Ghz. Maybe because in Clover config.plist, UseArtFrequency was already enabled? Or do SP and About this Mac (always?) display the configurable TDP-up Frequency?

Last edited:
Thank you Ben. Can you recommend a power saving HWPvalue for my Laptop's 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5? From what I just read in the HWP guide, once I enable HWP in Clover.plist, a value should be assigned (rather than leaving the key empty).
You don't need to use Clover's HWP settings, they are unnecessary.
Just use config.plist/ACPI/SSDT/Generate/PluginType=true to enable native power management + MacBookPro14,1 SMBIOS (Default in RehabMan's config.plist for Kaby Lake) to enable HWP.
Your CPU will idle at 1.3Ghz (Per Apple's design, not a bug or something). If you want to lower it to 0.8Ghz, for example, you have 3 options:
1. freqVectorsEdit.sh - statically patching X86PlatformPlugin.kext's plist for your SMBIOS to change lowest frequency. Not recommended, as we want to keep the kext unpatched.
2. CPUFriend.kext - which can inject a modified plist for your hardware to, again, lower the minimum CPU frequency.
3. X86PlatformPluginInjector.kext - a codeless injector kext which will inject a modified plist (to lower your minimum frequency, you've got the idea, lol). This one is my favorite and the one I'm using, as you keep X86PlatformPlugin.kext native, and don't need another extra kext for your system (just a codeless injector).

You can find the appropriate plist for your hardware in /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/X86PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources.
You should patch the 4th bit of the frequency vector (Default will be 0x0C == 13). Don't patch original plist, edit a copy on your Desktop!
See this post to understand a bit more about frequencyVectors selection:
https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/t...er-management/?do=findComment&comment=2365808

Creating an appropriate injector is easy. I hope @RehabMan will add an explanation about it in the power management guide :)

You don't need to use Clover's HWP settings, they are unnecessary.
Just use config.plist/ACPI/SSDT/Generate/PluginType=true to enable native power management + MacBookPro14,1 SMBIOS (Default in RehabMan's config.plist for Kaby Lake) to enable HWP.
Your CPU will idle at 1.3Ghz (Per Apple's design, not a bug or something). If you want to lower it to 0.8Ghz, for example, you have 3 options:
1. freqVectorsEdit.sh - statically patching X86PlatformPlugin.kext's plist for your SMBIOS to change lowest frequency. Not recommended, as we want to keep the kext unpatched.
2. CPUFriend.kext - which can inject a modified plist for your hardware to, again, lower the minimum CPU frequency.
3. X86PlatformPluginInjector.kext - a codeless injector kext which will inject a modified plist (to lower your minimum frequency, you've got the idea, lol). This one is my favorite and the one I'm using, as you keep X86PlatformPlugin.kext native, and don't need another extra kext for your system (just a codeless injector).

You can find the appropriate plist for your hardware in /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/X86PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources.
You should patch the 4th bit of the frequency vector (Default will be 0x0C == 13). Don't patch original plist, edit a copy on your Desktop!
See this post to understand a bit more about frequencyVectors selection:
https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/t...er-management/?do=findComment&comment=2365808

Creating an appropriate injector is easy. I hope @RehabMan will add an explanation about it in the power management guide :)
Great, thank you, I did not know that was possible. Located the relevant Mac-B4831CEBD52A0C4C.plist (board-ID from clover.plist smbios). Do you use shuhung's X86PlatformPluginInjector.kext?

BTW, any idea why my 1.6 Ghz i5 is displayed as 1.8 Ghz (see my edited posting above)?

BTW, any idea why my 1.6 Ghz i5 is displayed as 1.8 Ghz (see my edited posting above)?

Set config.plist/CPU/FrequencyMHz appropriately.

Great, thank you, I did not know that was possible. Located the relevant Mac-B4831CEBD52A0C4C.plist (board-ID from clover.plist smbios). Do you use shuhung's X86PlatformPluginInjector.kext?
Got the injector from syscl, but I guess they should be similar/identical.

BTW, you asked me about a proper SMBIOS.
Apple has launched 2 new MacBook Pros today with 8th Gen CPUs.
The problem is - There's no new MacBookPro14,1 equivalent (No Touch Bar, no AMD GPU). Only the 2 other models were refreshed.
Not sure if a new 2018 MacBook Pro SMBIOS will perform better than the MacBookPro14,1 SMBIOS, but you can always try :)
But hey, native 8th Gen IGPU (like the UHD 630) support is coming (Might come as an additional system update in the coming days, as the new models reach stores. A similar build to current 10.13.6, as I assume current release has no such support)

@RehabMan Get your UHD 6xx config.plist ready :lol:

Set config.plist/CPU/FrequencyMHz appropriately.
indeed, that did it, thanks. With my other h'toshes in Chameleon times I must have been lucky because that was never necessary. Is that value just cosmetic in About this Mac and SP?

@ben9923: valuable info - that sounds all like worthwhile progress, doesn't it.

indeed, that did it, thanks. With my other h'toshes in Chameleon times I must have been lucky because that was never necessary. Is that value just cosmetic in About this Mac and SP?

From my experience, it is cosmetic.

Hello, I've been following this thread for a while now, trying to get my Asus Laptop working on MacOS 10.13,
I Used the various DSDT patches and kexts in the package by saintno1997 but my laptop gets stuck on boot with "Still Waiting For Root Device"..
I Checked the BIOS settings various times and re-installed OS X many times, I can boot into High Sierra using stock clover without saintno's patches but that won't get QE/CI working..

My Laptop Specs:
ASUS VIVOBOOK S15 S510UN BQ052T
I7 8550U
Intel HD620
8GB DDR4 RAM

Attaching Clover Folder

Attachments

• Clover.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 201
Back