Contribute
Register

[Guide] Native Power Management for Laptops

I installed Yosemite on a Dell Vostro 3750 with a Sandy Bridge i5 (2410M) following this guide and stumbled into some problems. At least one of them seems to be power management related - the fans are constantly spinning. I think because the installation method only works out of the box for i3 CPUs. I ran ssdtPRGen.sh without errors and it generated some ssdt.aml files with and without numbers in the filenames. In the "patched" - folder within the EFI - partition there are already 3 ssdt.aml - files with numbers in the filenames (1,2 and 4) and there is none without number. According to the install-guide a lot of patching is done with these files. "No prepatched DSDT here, same as for Vostro, everything done through SSDT and Clover patches" (quote from a guide - update).
If questions are asked in the thread what to do with the script-generated ssdt.aml - files, the answer usually sounds like " you have an i7, you don't need ssdt-3.aml, just delete it and replace the ssdt-(number).aml - files in EFI/.../patches with ssdt-1., ssdt-2.aml and ssdt-4.aml". As far as I saw in the thread they don't mention an ssdt.aml - file (without number in the filename).
Would you instead of that recommend to follow rehabmans instructions and copy the generated ssdt.aml to the "patched" - folder?

As you can see this is more or less chinese for me. Computers are not my main interest. If they work, I tend to forget them. So I can tell myself to better buy a mac but don't expect from others to do the work for me. It's just that in this case I had reasons to think that the work was already done and I could benefit from the published results and just say thanks. Well, Yosemite is at least working right now but this fan makes you nuts, there is no sound and so on.

So may I ask for help?

It might be impossible to fix an existing installation if you don't know how they did it. So at least power management might have to be made from scratch?

And why don't I ask the guys who made it 5 years ago? I have but there seems to be not much activity in this thread.

I installed Yosemite on a Dell Vostro 3750 with a Sandy Bridge i5 (2410M) following this guide and stumbled into some problems. At least one of them seems to be power management related - the fans are constantly spinning. I think because the installation method only works out of the box for i3 CPUs. I ran ssdtPRGen.sh without errors and it generated some ssdt.aml files with and without numbers in the filenames. In the "patched" - folder within the EFI - partition there are already 3 ssdt.aml - files with numbers in the filenames (1,2 and 4) and there is none without number. According to the install-guide a lot of patching is done with these files. "No prepatched DSDT here, same as for Vostro, everything done through SSDT and Clover patches" (quote from a guide - update).
If questions are asked in the thread what to do with the script-generated ssdt.aml - files, the answer usually sounds like " you have an i7, you don't need ssdt-3.aml, just delete it and replace the ssdt-(number).aml - files in EFI/.../patches with ssdt-1., ssdt-2.aml and ssdt-4.aml". As far as I saw in the thread they don't mention an ssdt.aml - file (without number in the filename).
Would you instead of that recommend to follow rehabmans instructions and copy the generated ssdt.aml to the "patched" - folder?

As you can see this is more or less chinese for me. Computers are not my main interest. If they work, I tend to forget them. So I can tell myself to better buy a mac but don't expect from others to do the work for me. It's just that in this case I had reasons to think that the work was already done and I could benefit from the published results and just say thanks. Well, Yosemite is at least working right now but this fan makes you nuts, there is no sound and so on.

So may I ask for help?

It might be impossible to fix an existing installation if you don't know how they did it. So at least power management might have to be made from scratch?

And why don't I ask the guys who made it 5 years ago? I have but there seems to be not much activity in this thread.

Open a separate thread with problem reporting files as requested in the FAQ:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

@RehabMan I followed you're guide, but my battery lasts not very long. In Windows I got about 10h and in Mac just 4h. Discrete graphics is disabled.

I attached my report files.

Attachments

• debug_8041.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 84
@RehabMan I disabled my Nvidia in Bios.

The ioreg you attached proves your assertion false.
So does your misc/preboot.log:
Code:
0:100  0:000  === [ GetDevices ] ========================================
0:100  0:000  PCI (00|01:00.00) : 10DE 1C8C class=030200

@RehabMan I'm sorry, I've uploaded the report files before deactivating the Nvidia. Here are the new files.

Attachments

• debug_21762.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 75
@RehabMan I'm sorry, I've uploaded the report files before deactivating the Nvidia. Here are the new files.

Nvidia is now disabled.
But SSDT.aml should be deleted (conflicts with config.plist/ACPI/SSDT/Generate/PluginType=true).
And if you have not re-extracted/re-patched DSDT.aml, you must do that (after any BIOS change, or hardware change).
And given that NVMe runs without PM, with dual-NVMe, you're likely to use more power than on Windows.
Your USB configuration is also wrong (see guides linked from FAQ).

Back