Contribute
Register

[Guide] Native Power Management for Laptops

However, I still get a kernel panic when booting normally.

No idea without photo of panic.

So I'm just wondering if I still have to follow this Thread Guide (Native Power Management for Laptops) if I already have my patched SSDTs from the other guide?

Generated SSDT.aml from ssdtPRgen.sh is still required for native CPU PM.

Would clover be a better options since it patches AICM on the fly?

Clover's AsusAICPUPM option can be used to avoid patching AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

The power management guide covers Clover specifics.

No idea without photo of panic.

Generated SSDT.aml from ssdtPRgen.sh is still required for native CPU PM.

Clover's AsusAICPUPM option can be used to avoid patching AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

The power management guide covers Clover specifics.

Hi Rehabman,

Here is the picture: http://imgur.com/UDtAqEz

When I run the ssdtPRgen.sh script - should I keep my SSDT* in /Extra?

Also, for now, Im having bad luck with Clover (still trying to learn how to create my own config.plist). So I'll go with Chameleon for now.

EDIT: Btw, it paused with P-State Error for a long time before it Kernel Panic. Could the P-State mean, my SSDT or DSDT is bad?

Thanks!

Hi Rehabman,

Here is the picture: http://imgur.com/UDtAqEz

Why MacPro3,1? Follow the guide in post #1 carefully.

When I run the ssdtPRgen.sh script - should I keep my SSDT* in /Extra?

Yes, although keeping CPU related SSDTs is considered advanced. CPU SSDTs can sometimes cause problems, but it is also advantageous to keep them if you can (and if properly patched).

It is covered in the guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/152573-guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.html

Also, for now, Im having bad luck with Clover (still trying to learn how to create my own config.plist). So I'll go with Chameleon for now.

Use config.plist from guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...de-booting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover.html

EDIT: Btw, it paused with P-State Error for a long time before it Kernel Panic. Could the P-State mean, my SSDT or DSDT is bad?

Not sure yet. It depends on what happens when you follow the guide as written.

For now, for sure, you've generated your SSDT with the wrong SMBIOS in place, and are still using that same wrong SMBIOS.

Why MacPro3,1? Follow the guide in post #1 carefully.

Yes, although keeping CPU related SSDTs is considered advanced. CPU SSDTs can sometimes cause problems, but it is also advantageous to keep them if you can (and if properly patched).

It is covered in the guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/152573-guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.html

Use config.plist from guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...de-booting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover.html

Not sure yet. It depends on what happens when you follow the guide as written.

For now, for sure, you've generated your SSDT with the wrong SMBIOS in place, and are still using that same wrong SMBIOS.

Its probably because I'm using UNIBeast USB to boot up. I'm trying to figure this out yet but for some reason - when I use Multibeast and I check Chameleon 4.1 - it will not install it on the HDD. I even tried using the standalone Chimera installer and the bootloader still wouldn't install in the HDD. There was a time long ago that when this happen, I manually install the bootloader but I as of the moment, I don't know which are the updated files to use (boot0/boot1h ??).

Also, I know I specifically picked and changed Macbook Pro 8,1 in my smbios.plist - but it looks like its still pickup up the one from the unibeast smbios.plist. I'll give it a try once I get back from work.

Thanks Rehabman!

Its probably because I'm using UNIBeast USB to boot up. I'm trying to figure this out yet but for some reason - when I use Multibeast and I check Chameleon 4.1 - it will not install it on the HDD. I even tried using the standalone Chimera installer and the bootloader still wouldn't install in the HDD. There was a time long ago that when this happen, I manually install the bootloader but I as of the moment, I don't know which are the updated files to use (boot0/boot1h ??).

Also, I know I specifically picked and changed Macbook Pro 8,1 in my smbios.plist - but it looks like its still pickup up the one from the unibeast smbios.plist. I'll give it a try once I get back from work.

Thanks Rehabman!

Maybe boot0 error (very common issue): http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/65706-boot0-error-official-guide.html

But yes, when you boot from the Unibeast USB, you get the configuration from the USB, not what you have on your HDD.

You cannot implement power management booting from the USB.

RehabMan.

I'm beginning this process and created a new MultiBeast configuration. When I try to load, I get:

"The installation failed
The Installer encountered an error that caused
the software to fail. Check the MultiBeast.log
Install log for more details."

Used MultiBeast many times. Have never seen this. Can't find any MultiBeast.log.

I've been looking through forums and see this error discussed, but not where to find the log file.

Is MultiBeast.log a hidden file? I can unhide files, but where do I look for it?

Thanks in advance.

RehabMan.

I'm beginning this process and created a new MultiBeast configuration. When I try to load, I get:

"The installation failed
The Installer encountered an error that caused
the software to fail. Check the MultiBeast.log
Install log for more details."

Used MultiBeast many times. Have never seen this. Can't find any MultiBeast.log.

I've been looking through forums and see this error discussed, but not where to find the log file.

Is MultiBeast.log a hidden file? I can unhide files, but where do I look for it?

Thanks in advance.

Got past the error, but still can't find the log. Would be nice to know where it is and what it captured. Not worried about it, though.

Ok.

So at this point, I have Battery Status and Brightness Control - Excellent - thank you very, very much.

So I change from NullCPU to AppleIntelCPU in MultiBeast (with DSDT - this just doesn't reflect that).

MultiBeast Configuration - 2015-08-01 08:44:32
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Drivers > Disk > TRIM Enabler > 10.10.3 TRIM Patch Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v6.16.1372
Drivers > Misc > PS/2 Keyboard/Mice and Trackpads
Drivers > Network > Realtek > AppleRTL8169Ethernet 2.0.6
Drivers > System > Patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement > OS X 10.9.0
Bootloaders > Chimera v4.1.0
Customize > Boot Options > Basic Boot Options
Customize > Boot Options > Generate CPU States
Customize > Boot Options > Kext Dev Mode
Customize > Boot Options > Use KernelCache

Boots fine every time configured this way.

Went to use Patchmatic and it wouldn't work. I had used it before, but those files are old now. So I wanted to generate new ones, and it wouldn't work. It would create the Extract folder on the Desktop, but not any files within. The text in terminal didn't really give me a clue as to what the problem was, so I just moved on. The IASL tool wouldn't do me any good at this point (used it with earlier files previously), so I moved on.

Via IOReg, I check CPU0 - Doesn't show 8086. This is what it has:
CPU@0
AppleACPICPU
ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin
AppleACPICPUInterruptController

Not alarmed that it's not 8086 plugin.

Not exactly sure what to do for the SSDT generation (could not find steps anywhere), so I drag ssdtPRGen.sh to Terminal, and it generates this:

ssdtPRGen.sh v0.9 Copyright (c) 2011-2012 by † RevoGirl
v6.6 Copyright (c) 2013 by † Jeroen
v15.6 Copyright (c) 2013-2015 by Pike R. Alpha
-----------------------------------------------------------
Bugs > https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh/issues <

gDataPath: /Users/username/Library/ssdtPRGen/Data
System information: Mac OS X 10.10.4 (14E46)
Brandstring 'Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz'

Scope (_PR_) {220 bytes} with ACPI Processor declarations found in the DSDT (ACPI 1.0 compliant)
Generating ssdt.dsl for a 'MacBookPro9,2' with board-id [Mac-6F01561E16C75D06]
Ivy Bridge Core i5-3210M processor [0x306A9] setup [0x0603]
With a maximum TDP of 35 Watt, as specified by Intel
Number logical CPU's: 4 (Core Frequency: 2500 MHz)
Number of Turbo States: 6 (2600-3100 MHz)
Number of P-States: 20 (1200-3100 MHz)
Adjusting C-States for detected (mobile) processor
Injected C-States for CPU0 (C1,C3,C6,C7)
Injected C-States for CPU1 (C1,C2,C3)
Warning: 'cpu-type' may be set improperly (0x0603 instead of 0x0703)

Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20140926-64 [Nov 6 2014]
Copyright (c) 2000 - 2014 Intel Corporation

ASL Input: /Users/pauldlyon/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl - 270 lines, 8296 bytes, 48 keywords
AML Output: /Users/pauldlyon/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.aml - 1681 bytes, 16 named objects, 32 executable opcodes

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 0 Optimizations

Do you want to copy /Users/user/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.aml to /Extra/ssdt.aml? (y/n)? y

WOW - I'M IMPRESSED!

It prompts to copy just the one top-level SSDT file to Extra when it actually generated 5, but I say 'Y' because the script is smarter than me regarding SSDT files. But all 5 are CPU related anyway - go figure?!?!.

So I uncheck Generate P and C states in Chameleon and select drop SSDT. My laptop booted fine with just the top level SSDT file in Extra. But bdmesg showed that it expected ACPI table in SSDT-1.

So I put all 5 SSDT files in Extra. Wouldn't boot (initial progress scroll ends with that box and a slashed circle over it).
Safe mode - Put just SSDT and SSDT-1 in Extra. Wouldn't boot (slashed circle).
Safe mode - Went back to just the one top level SSDT. Booted OK initially, but my laptop froze while typing this text.
Forced hard shutdown, boot, but wouldn't boot (slashed circle).
Safe mode - Removed all SSDTs and change Chameleon back to original state, and reloaded my MultiBeast config. Wouldn't boot (slashed circle).
Safe mode - Reloaded my MultiBeast Configuration again. Wouldn't boot (slashed circle).
Safe mode - Restarted with DSDT=NULL. Wouldn't boot (slashed circle). Now I'm at a loss.

I'm having a meltdown.... and I'm too old for that ;^)

Thankfully I had made copies of my DSDT and replace the one in Extra with a copy, and reloaded MultiBeast config again.
Boots fine now. Still have Battery Status and Brightness Control. I'm inclined to leave it this way.

Somehow the SSDTs corrupted my DSDT. But Chameleon's bsmesg log indicates it's generating two SSDTs when I don't have any custom ones in Extra, so do I need SSDTs from ssdtPRGen.sh when everything seems fine without those? Ready to move on to audio/sound.

So are those SSDTs that are generated by Chameleon in the background good enough?

I apologize for the lack of brevity, and I'm still thrilled that I have battery status and brightness control.

Ok.

So at this point, I have Battery Status and Brightness Control - Excellent - thank you very, very much.

So I change from NullCPU to AppleIntelCPU in MultiBeast (with DSDT - this just doesn't reflect that).

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

System: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
System: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

System: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
System: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK - can add to signature since Profile limited to one (as far as I can tell).
Samsung NP300E4C-A03US Notebook
CPU: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5-3210M – Ivy Bridge - 8 GB RAM
MB: Samsung 300E4C/300E5C/300E7C 0.1
Intel 7 Series Chipset Family
Intel HD Graphics 4000, 1366 x 768
SMBios MacBookPro9,2
Dual boot:
OS X - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD (Yosemite)
Win7 - Momentus 500GB (Seagate), SATA2 5300rpm
Ext USB DVD/CD ODD – Slimtype Philips & Lite-on (originally in Notebook, replaced with SSD for OS X).

I'll have to reboot in Win7 to get CPU-Z data.

I have no idea what created my problem yesterday. Today, did the exact same thing and everything is working fine. I didn't generate new asl-s either - using my original DSDT from 30 July and the SSDTs generated yesterday (1 August). It's probably safe to say it was "operator error" on my part.

After some tinkering and reboots, it's working and stable.
In Chameleon Wizard, Drop SSDT selected and Generate P and C states are unselected.
DTDT in Extra has been solid (did replace it to recover yesterday as noted previously).
SSDT, SSDT-1, SSDT-2, SSDT-3, and SSDT-4 in Extra (these were generated by ssdtPRGen.sh v15.6).
Chameleon's bdmesg log states it stored the 5 SSDTs and they were added to XSDT (don't know where that is).

GeekBench2 increased from being consistently in the 68xx range to upper 78xxx range - even hit 7908 once.

And Voodoo 2.8.4 is my sound solution - works great (everything but the mic, but have USB mic anyway).

If there was one thing I would want to do at this point, it's at least turn BlueTooth off - it drains the battery constantly looking for devices. Over the past couple of years I've tried some tips that have been posted, but none worked. Some day I'll go looking again.

So in a matter of a few hours over the weekend, you and your guides helped me:
Create a patched DSDT,
Get Battery Status,
Brightness fixed,
Off of NullCPU and on to AppleIntelCPU,
and SSDTs generated.
And simultaneously I got sound working.

Thanks again, RehabMan.
(you have mad skills)

Back