Contribute
Register

Guide: Multibooting UEFI on Separate Drives

I don't have any problem with clover booting windows in UEFI mode. I have windows and osx on separates hds and i didn't have any problem.
Always do the same procedure. Install windows in UEFI mode, and then install OSX. There is no problem. Clover boot windows always. Install windows with usb prepared with rufus.
A windows EFI USB installer requires only the ISO files copied to a partition the firmware can read: if using macOS disk utility to erase the USB drive, MBR MS-DOS is sufficient.

Going Bald, this is a great guide. I currently have a different disk setup:
> A. macOS Sierra on an SSD
> B. macOS user partition on an HDD, with an unused 1TB volume, no EFI on this HDD
> C. macOS system and user partition backups on a 2nd HDD, EFI, and a spare partition

I think the plan would be to use drive B spare partition for Windows. I assume creating the EFI partition and installing Windows wouldn't interfere with the macOS user partition, is that right?

Or would it be better to install Windows according to your guide on the spare drive C disk?

I installed a 240GB SSD for Windows, formatted it as GPT, OS X Extended, with my OS X install USB, the used the Windows 10 install USB to boot and started the install as per this guide. I deleted the OS X partition and the Windows install seemed to start. Then it came up with a message saying it couldn't complete the preparation for the install, and to restart the install.

When I restarted the install, there were 5 partitions on the SSD: P1 EFI, P2 Recovery 436MB, P3 System 100MB, P4 MSR (reserved) 16MB, and P5 Primary 222.8GB. I selected P5 for the install but it said it couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.

I deleted partitions 2-5 so there was only P1 EFI and the rest unallocated space. I retried the install with the same results.

Does anyone have any advice?

I installed a 240GB SSD for Windows, formatted it as GPT, OS X Extended, with my OS X install USB, the used the Windows 10 install USB to boot and started the install as per this guide. I deleted the OS X partition and the Windows install seemed to start. Then it came up with a message saying it couldn't complete the preparation for the install, and to restart the install.
OK, I unplugged all the other HDDs and the OS X SDD and the Windows 10 installation completed with no problems. Now I need to find drivers for my WiFi card and the AOC display.

Hello,

until yesterday I had Yosemite and Windows 7 on 2 SSD. Since yesterday I installed on a brand new ssd drive Sierra. Without connected Sierra drive, Windows is booting. With connected Sierra Drive Clover shows the Sierra and Windows 7 drive, but when I starting Windows the system shows a white blinking dot (underscore??) and that's all. No booting. What can I do without a new install of Windows?

Thanks

Hello,

until yesterday I had Yosemite and Windows 7 on 2 SSD. Since yesterday I installed on a brand new ssd drive Sierra. Without connected Sierra drive, Windows is booting. With connected Sierra Drive Clover shows the Sierra and Windows 7 drive, but when I starting Windows the system shows a white blinking dot (underscore??) and that's all. No booting. What can I do without a new install of Windows?

Thanks
Yosemite boots Chimera or Clover? If Clover, installed Legacy Mode or UEFI?
Sierra Clover installed Legacy or UEFI?
Win7 installed Legacy or UEFI?

Note: If you have had Win7 installed for several years and it has a System Reserved partition showing in Chimera boot screen it is installed Legacy Mode. To boot Win7 Legacy you need to install Clover Legacy to match. You can still install Clover in the ESP (EFI System Partition) but the boot must be from Legacy boot loader.

Yosemite boots Chimera or Clover? If Clover, installed Legacy Mode or UEFI?
Sierra Clover installed Legacy or UEFI?
Win7 installed Legacy or UEFI?

Note: If you have had Win7 installed for several years and it has a System Reserved partition showing in Chimera boot screen it is installed Legacy Mode. To boot Win7 Legacy you need to install Clover Legacy to match. You can still install Clover in the ESP (EFI System Partition) but the boot must be from Legacy boot loader.

Yosemite = Chimera
Sierra Clover with UEFI
Win 7 with ??? Long time.. ;-)

In Chimera boot screen Windows is showing as NTFS Drive = Legacy Mode installed? And, how I can install Clover in the ESP and than any problems with the UEFI Boot from Sierra or the UEFI from Bios?

Thanks

Yosemite = Chimera
Sierra Clover with UEFI
Win 7 with ??? Long time.. ;-)

In Chimera boot screen Windows is showing as NTFS Drive = Legacy Mode installed? And, how I can install Clover in the ESP and than any problems with the UEFI Boot from Sierra or the UEFI from Bios?

Thanks
If you are booting Yosemite with Chimera then you are booting Legacy Mode.
Install Clover Legacy mode on the Sierra drive and make it first in BBS boot order.
MultiBeast will install Clover Legacy in the ESP by default.

If you are booting Yosemite with Chimera then you are booting Legacy Mode.
Install Clover Legacy mode on the Sierra drive and make it first in BBS boot order.
MultiBeast will install Clover Legacy in the ESP by default.

I decided to make a new, clean Win10 Installation. After booting the OS Sierra Stick (for format the Win SSD), the filled line stop at approx 80%. After that, nothing happened.... I tried it with the Recovery partition, same effect. Any idea?

Update: With an Macbook Pro the Sierra Stick booted correctly. On this way, I could delete the Win SSD with the disk utility. :) But, after booting the Win10 Stick ("boot from CD") I see the same blinking white dot and nothing happened. The same problem as with the former Win7 Legacy SSD.

Last edited:
I decided to make a new, clean Win10 Installation. After booting the OS Sierra Stick (for format the Win SSD), the filled line stop at approx 80%. After that, nothing happened.... I tried it with the Recovery partition, same effect. Any idea?

Update: With an Macbook Pro the Sierra Stick booted correctly. On this way, I could delete the Win SSD with the disk utility. :) But, after booting the Win10 Stick ("boot from CD") I see the same blinking white dot and nothing happened. The same problem as with the former Win7 Legacy SSD.
Wrong procedure for cleaning a drive for Win10 installation.
Create the Win10 installation USB with the Windows Media creation tool -
see https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-usb-bootable-media-uefi-support

boot the installation tool, hold shift+f10 to get a command window, use diskpart to clean, convert GPT the drive. Exit diskpart. Exit the command window. Select the clean drive to install Win10.

BTW I HIGHLY recommend you disconnect ALL other drives when cleaning drive/installing Win10 on UEFI builds.

Back