Contribute
Register

Guide: Multibooting UEFI on Separate Drives

I found my way here by reading this link which accurately describes my problem, but I couldn't find a solution to it particularly. The only solution I saw was for installing the OS's on different drives. I have succesfully installed both WIN10 and OS X 10.12.5 on a 120GB SSD.

OS X has been fully optimized and updated (drivers and software)

However, I cannot get into my windows partition. Initially in Clover it shows as "Boot windows from (BLANK)", as in there is nothing written only Boot windows from. And when I select that option and hit enter I am taken to a black screen where all I can see is the blinking white cursor on the top left of the screen.

Both all installed in UEFI and I began with the OS X installation and used disk utility to split the drive. I followed by installing windows on the partition I had labeled windows on the disk utility after reformatting it.

Thanks for any responses to this.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-multibooting-uefi.197352/

For Win10:
Connect a drive, insert OS X Install USB, boot the system and at the POST hit the Function hotkey that allows you to select a boot device. Select the OS X Install USB. At the installation screen, select Utilities->Disk Utility and format the drive single partition GUID/Mac OS Extended (Journaled). When done, exit Disk Utility. Quit the OS X installer.
Remove the OS X Install USB and insert the Win10 USB, boot the system and at the POST hit the Function hotkey that allows you to select a boot device.
Windows shows up as USB: Win10Installer (or whatever you named the USB) and as UEFI USB: Win10Installer.
Select the UEFI USB: Win10Installer and boot the system.
At the installation screen, select Custom Install. At the next screen select the OS X partition and delete it - do not delete the EFI partition. With the resulting free space hi-lited, install Windows to the space. The installer will create and format the partitions for you. When finished, update and install your 3rd party apps and security suite. Reboot to BIOS/UEFI and disable CSM. Save&exit, continue boot to desktop. Shut down, disconnect the drive.

I am following exactly this instruction but I always getting this error;

Here is my step;
- Open Terminal and format the disk as a Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
- Plug the Windows USB and Restart then choosing USB with hot key
- When disk format windows comes I am choosing disk and click delete it (Don't touch EFI Disk)
- Choose drive again and click next

Result; Error;
Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of Installation. To Install Windows, restart the installation.

I tried CSM disabled or enabled it doesn't help.

Could you please give me an idea what can I try more?

I am following exactly this instruction but I always getting this error;

Here is my step;
- Open Terminal and format the disk as a Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
- Plug the Windows USB and Restart then choosing USB with hot key
- When disk format windows comes I am choosing disk and click delete it (Don't touch EFI Disk)
- Choose drive again and click next

Result; Error;
Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of Installation. To Install Windows, restart the installation.

I tried CSM disabled or enabled it doesn't help.

Could you please give me an idea what can I try more?
Read the instructions and follow them step by step.

Read the instructions and follow them step by step.

Why should I ask the question before the read. I read all instruction and also read all 22 pages. I also used your other method; But this time I got different error;

"Windows detected that the EFI system partition was formatted as NTFS. Format the EFI system partition as FAT32, and restart the installation."

Process goes like this:
- boot Windows installer USB
- at first screen press Shift+F10 to get command prompt (hit enter after each line to type)
- type: diskpart
- type: list disk (so you're certain of the disk you're working with, say it is disk 0)
- type: select disk 0
- type: clean (don't blame me if you don't know what this does - hope there was nothing on that drive you wanted to save)
- type: convert gpt
- type: create partition efi size=200
- type: format quick fs=fat32 label="EFI"
- type: exit

Why should I ask the question before the read. I read all instruction and also read all 22 pages. I also used your other method; But this time I got different error;

"Windows detected that the EFI system partition was formatted as NTFS. Format the EFI system partition as FAT32, and restart the installation."

Process goes like this:
- at first screen press Shift+F10 to get command prompt (hit enter after each line to type)
- type: list disk (so you're certain of the disk you're working with, say it is disk 0)
- type: clean (don't blame me if you don't know what this does - hope there was nothing on that drive you wanted to save)
Did you then accicently select the EFI partition and format it NTFS instead of the partition you need to install on?
Mistakes can happen when you are tired and frustrated.

Did you then accicently select the EFI partition and format it NTFS instead of the partition you need to install on?
Mistakes can happen when you are tired and frustrated.

I am sure I didn't. I used this process exactly then choose my primary drive and click next. After this process should I make something? Does this DiskPart method create a new EFI driver as fat32?

Edit: Finally I solved the problem. I disconnect my all other drives and leave it just 1 drive now installed without any error.

Thank you...

Last edited:
With all 3 OSs installed and all 3 drives connected boot to the UEFI BIOS and make the OS X drive first in BBS boot order.
When Clover screen shows you will only see icons for OS X and Windows. We will fix this with a config.plist edit.
Choose the OS X icon and boot to desktop. You will need to download Xcode or your favorite plist editor for this next step.
Mount the EFI partition and navigate to the config.plist. Open the config.plist in Xcode and add this entry:

View attachment 205207
Save the config.plist, quit Xcode and reboot. You will see this:
View attachment 205208

Ok Finished all process installed windows. But when I on Clover GUI I am seeing 3 window Drivers. Why I am not seeing just like you just one drive for Windows? Can I fix that? How?

20170718_214316_HDR.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-07-18 at 22.33.08.png

Ok Finished all process installed windows. But when I on Clover GUI I am seeing 3 window Drivers. Why I am not seeing just like you just one drive for Windows? Can I fix that? How?
Use Hide partition function in Clover Configurator to hide the other 2 partitions - you want to leave the Boot Microsoft EFI boot from EFI showing to Boot Win10.

Hi all,

what if I already have an existing windows installation on a drive(840 evo) with a normal ntfs partition? I have to reinstall it again to make the hackintosh work, or I can continue with the osx installation on the second drive? Could it work?

Thx

Hi all,

what if I already have an existing windows installation on a drive(840 evo) with a normal ntfs partition? I have to reinstall it again to make the hackintosh work, or I can continue with the osx installation on the second drive? Could it work?

Thx
See post 1

Back