Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] MSI Z270M Mortar Kaby Lake install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installed the new Sapphire RX580-8gig card. And attempted to up grade to Catalina on my M2 drive. Made a backup of main drive with HS on an SSD. Built a USB drive with Catalina on it as per instructions. Used the original guide and most of the files in the folder vk2fro had put for download with the exception of one pulled from the Catalina package contents as was done with High Sierra. Now I attempt to boot from Clover, it loads 80% and then for some odd reason powers down the computer.
I should note that I can boot the backup I made with High Sierra no problems, graphics card works perfectly and I have not removed the Nvidia drivers from that system. I will continue to search the site for answers. I have hit a wall! I can't get it to boot. Would anyone consider posting their config.plist so I can see what I am doing wrong. Would really not want to have to change motherboards.
The saga continues:
Well I came to the conclusion that my only option was to completely erase my M2 drive, reformat and try again with UniBeast. It worked. When I tried to use Migration Assistant to bring the applications from my backup High Sierra system it began and all of a sudden crashed and rebooted to give me the same stop at about 80% with some blue lines in the screen. Did the reformat again, installed downloaded purchases from App Store as well as DaVinci Resolve with my license key. So far so good. Will now try to use MultiBeast and see if I can get it to see my BlackMagic card and give me audio in and out and of course boot on its own. I will then manually transfer all the other apps I need that now still reside on my backup drive.
Got it working, now to deal with the USB ports. Used Clover and rebuilt my EFI folder and config and booting in High Sierra, and replacing the EFI on the Catalina drive. Oddly, I began checking and plugging in USB drives to see which ports were working (as some did not in HS) I did a reboot and bang! It would not boot, so I had to do the HS routine and overwrite the copy of the EFI folder again. Why would this happen? What am I missing? Would something have been written to the config as a result of my messing with the USB ports?
Did the USB port setup using the method and tools from the thread New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration. Worked fine so far. Nice to have all my USB ports working properly.
Still having problems at boot up, sometimes it will boot on the first attempt, sometimes not, sometimes the second. Not stable.
Would anyone care to share their EFI so I can do a comparison? I suspect there is an issue with my boot arguments but am not sure what it is.
Any thoughts would be helpful.
Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back